“1st weekend in August”

Ranked #2 of 22 Chicago B&B and Inns
Maryland,USA
“1st weekend in August”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We came up for my grandaughter's 1st B Day.
The B&B was picked for location .
We loved our stay there.
It really was a perfect weekend.
I would love to rent the whole house out next time!
Thank you Cathie for taking care of us

Room Tip: FYI -They do have an elevator mainly for luggage even though our friend did get in and use it It de...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
PineappleCathy, Manager at Villa D'Citta, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Thanks for your kind comments. I totally agree that the Villa's location is ideal in that we are walking distance from the subway (the El) which will get you downtown in less than 15 minutes, and yet we are in a lovely residential area walking distance from some great restaurants and shops!

Looking forward to your next visit, and perhaps your even having the entire mansion for a family gathering as you indicated.

It was a pleasure to "take care of you" during your stay. Kind regards, Cathy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
New Jersey
Reviewed August 6, 2013

It turns out that the beginning of August is the peak tourist season for Chicago. Hotels within the city are fully booked. Rooms, when available, tend to be hundreds of dollars. Given the cost of hotels, I turned to looking at B&Bs (my preference in less urban settings) for alternatives. Villa D’Citta was the top rated in TripAdvisor. The Grand Tuscan suite was available at $399/night. Given that two of us were sharing this two-bedroom suite, we thought this was an outstanding alternative to the hotel offerings.
This is not a typical B&B. The owner is not present and not identified. Instead, the very warm, exceptionally professional and gracious Kathy is there to greet all guests at all hours. She also bakes treats and morning specials on the weekend. Also different from the standard B&B and a great benefit – the gourmet kitchen and all of its items (including what is in the frig) are available to guests. This is a wonderful when one has missed lunch because they have been busy or want a snack or cup of tea at the odd hour.
The B&B is very upscale with deluxe finishes. Parking is available if you reserve ahead of time for the few spaces. Wifi is free and very fast. There is an elevator or one can use the stairs.
The neighborhood, Lincoln Park, is wonderful to explore. Lincoln Park is lively and urban. Yes, it can be noisy but in the way that one expects in an urban setting. Great local restaurants. In addition, it is only about a five minute walk to the L, giving you full and easy access to Chicago.
Some considerations on the Grand Tuscan suite (and it is a grand/huge suite) – the bathroom is lavish with a walk in shower with multiple shower heads and a deep soaking Jacuzzi tub. Note that the shower floor can be slippery. The toilet is in its owned doored area within the bathroom. The main bedroom was over the top, with a sitting area and fireplace. The lighting is muted and not ideal if you want to read a book. The light switch for the second bedroom is in the suite’s hallway. Great amenities, with fluffy towels.
Villa D’Citta is a wonderful option for staying in Chicago, especially for people who want something different than a standard hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Many thanks for your wonderful review of Villa D' Citta. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I agree that the Villa offers an excellent value in comparison with other lodging choices, particularly in light of the complimentary amenities provided in addition to the daily breakfast offerings. Yes, the panini machine gets a lot of use and people enjoy having a sandwich either for lunch or as a midnight snack with our cookies!

Lincoln Park is indeed a vibrant area of Chicago, but I am happy that you were able to explore a number of our museums androids while you were in town. You certainly mastered the El routes during your stay.

I hope that you travels will bring you back for another stay at Villa D' Citta in the future! Thanks again, Cathy
Bolingbrook, Illinois, United States
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed in the Venetian suite and rented the back portion of the house for a Hollywood Red Carpet graduation celebration for myself. Kathy, the house manager was the best and most professional person I've ever worked with when it comes to accomodations. She was concerned about even the smallest details in our party to make sure that it was a success. When I first walked into the venue after searching on websites for boutique mansions in the area, I came across this place. When I walked in, I was in love. Luxury, elegance, royalty and any other similar name would be a great summary of the experience. If I could rate this place a Double 5 Star, I would. Beautiful place, great people, lovely atmosphere. Rather it be for an event or an overnite stay, you can't go wrong. The Villa D' Citta is it! Breakfast the following morning was also spectacular. Loved every bit of the experience.

Room Tip: The Venetian Suite offers direct access to the jacuzzi.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
When you put on a party, you really pull out all the stops! I am so happy that you chose the Villa for your "Red Carpet" graduation celebration. It was a pleasure working with you to help you achieve the party that you envisioned!

I know that you searched the the web for a special venue, and am delighted that you immediately fell in love with the splendor of the Villa when you first toured the mansion with me. To that end, I always invite people to tour the Villa, as the pictures on our website, while wonderful, don't fully capture the Villa's elegance.

Many people when hosting a party at the Villa stay at the Villa either before or after their event, and so I am glad that you were able to stay in our Venetian after your party.

It was so nice to meet you, your friends, and your family, and I look forward to your next stay with us! Kind regards, Cathy
Peachland, Canada
Reviewed July 27, 2013

A brilliant place. Extremely comfortable and peaceful. Cathy the operator is working this beautiful Villa perfectly. My wife and I stayed in Chicago for 7 nights. 2 downtown at the Inn of Chicago and 5 at the Villa just outside of Downtown. Lincoln Park is a wonderful place. There are amazing restaurants right down the road and all sorts of shops. You can walk to the beach or take a bike if you like, or a 2 minute cab ride. Cab to downtown is $15 and there is a train/transit station right down the road that will get you to Soldier Field, US Cellular and or Wrigley field easily. The Villa is the perfect basecamp with the comforts of home and the staff are great. It's great writing a review when you had such a good time. If your visiting Chicago this very could well be the BEST BnB in the very large city. Enjoy your stay if you go.

That's it That's all!! If we are back in Chicago we will be staying there.

Cheers

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank James K
PineappleCathy, Manager at Villa D'Citta, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
It was so nice to meet both you and your wife, and I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Villa. I am glad that you thought of the Villa as a great "base camp" for all of the activities that you enjoyed while in Chicago. I was quite impressed with the variety of things that you accomplished while in town.

Thank you for your comments about the Villa's staff. We take pride in what we do, and we do our best to make sure that our guests feel quite at home while at the Villa.

Yes, Lincoln Park is filled with great shops and restaurants, and our guests enjoy being able to walk to the zoo, and renting our bikes to ride all over town.

I look forward to your return visit when your travels bring you back to Chicago. Kind regards,
Cathy
Sioux City, Iowa
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at the beautiful bed and breakfast with my sisters. We stayed in the Florencia Suite. The room was perfect for the three of us. The only problem we had was connecting to the wifi on the third floor. We had no trouble connecting in the common areas on the first floor but we couldn't keep the connection when we went to our room. The staff was super friendly and informative! We also loved the location. There are lots of boutiques for shopping and some good restaurants nearby. We also loved being by Lincoln Park. We went running/walking each morning and the park is just a few blocks away. I plan on staying here again with my husband when we visit Chicago.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Stockbridge, Michigan
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I recently stayed here while in vacation for 3 nights and it's a upscale retreat for a lower cost nestled in Lincoln Park which is a great neighborhood, with a Starbucks just down the block, boutiques a few blocks away and lots of restaurants nearby.I stayed in two separate rooms the Euro Room and The Venetian Suite.

The Euro room is located on the top floor and it was quite the workout to get up there but it felt good and by the next day it was nothing to get up the 2 flights of stairs to the room. with a detached bathroom which is still private its a very nice room, the bed was cozy and the closet big enough for all my clothes. The advantage of this room is the quiet you get as its on the top floor all other sounds are muted as they are under or nearby the room. All the rooms have beautiful artwork inside. The downside to the euro room is that it is smaller and there is no view from the window just a brick wall. but it was still my favorite of the two rooms.

The Suite is like a mini apartment with the shower right when you walk in then down the hall the closet and bathroom then a little foyer with the bedroom then you walk out to the outside and a great view of the rooftops and the patio below. This was a comfortable bed but it had two drawbacks in that the air vent is right in that room near the closet and since you are on the 2nd floor you get all the sounds from the other rooms.

The villa was beautiful and the owner makes homemade cookies which are popular with the guests and she does breakfast on the weekends although during the week guests fend for themselves for breakfast. The innkeeper was very helpful and friendly, accommodating any request I had and I really enjoyed my stay there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Jefferson City, Missouri
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We absolutely loved Villa D' Citta! The service is amazing, the food delicious, the property GORGEOUS (even more than the pics show!), the location perfect, the room comfy! We would highly recommend a stay here. You will not be disappointed!!

Room Tip: We loved the Euro Room, very budget-friendly. It is cozy, but sweet, and the next-door private bath...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple