“Hot chocolate & churros”
Review of Xoco

Xoco
Ranked #83 of 10,080 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed July 29, 2013

What could be a better morning QUICK treat than hot chocolate & churros. In the winter, my choice is Mexican City Chocolate, a lovely thickish brew, but not as thick as Madrid chocolate. In the summer, I switch to Aztec Chocolate, fresh-ground chocolate + water + chile + allspice because the thicker version is not available. For a special treat, you can get dipping chocolate for the churros.

A nice bonus is that there are a couple of 15 minute parking spaces that allow you to dash in and indulge.

Obviously there are breakfast, lunch, and dinner menus if you want to have a longer stay in XOCO.

Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Food very bland. We had a party of five and they assigned us bar seating while party of three got one of the few large tables. Made the food even more distasteful because we couldn't even distract ourselves with dinner conversation . Basically youre served a bad version of a dried out sub sandwich. There are many more better choices in the area. We won't be back.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I found the food bland and very overpriced - will not be eating at another Bayliss restaurant. The tacos we had were not better then Taco Bell

Reviewed July 23, 2013

"this quick-service cafe from Rick and Deann Bayless proffers contemporary expressions of Mexico’s most beloved street food and snacks: hot-from-the-fryer churros and flaky empanadas; frothy Mexican hot chocolate (ground from Mexican cacao beans right in our front window!); warm, crusty tortas (Mexican submarine sandwiches); and made-to-order caldos (meal-in-a-bowl soups) that feature everything from roasted vegetables to seafood to pork belly"...this text from Rick Bayless' restaurant website pretty much sums it up.

This is not a fancy restaurant and it is barely a sit-down restaurant. Like other reviewers noted, when you first walk in you are ushered to an ordering line and get to try to figure out what you'd like among the many great choices spelled out on the big menu signs above. The staff is very friendly; they do help you out with questions you need answered or opinions you might want to solicit. You can witness everything being prepared fresh right there behind the counter. Once you place your order you are given your beverages and escorted to a seat. Ours happened to be at stools and an eating bar with a wall 2 feet in front of us alongside the restaurant...not great There are small table of 2 & 4, but overall it's a pretty tight space--seating is advertised at just 40.

All that being said, the final product that comes your way is something very fresh, carefully prepared, possessing an abundance of layered flavors and provides a really good palate pleasing meal.

When trying this Mexican-based fare, if you are expecting anything close to Americanized fast food stuff, you'll be thankfully impressed and happy that it's not.

1  Thank SignorPicky
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Okay, first I must say that I love Rick Bayless...and, here is the fun part...looking out of hotel room I saw this amazing garden on the roof top of a building...I was curious?? Then, as I walked by one morning to the Mart, there it was XOCO! A unique experience. I can't rave enough about the delicious french toast. And, I even ordered a side order of scrambled eggs...came with herbs and a delightful cheese...AMAZING!! But then concept of the restaurant was a bit awkward. Not really sure if even the staff had the idea down perfectly. And, so unfortunately I could not give it the five stars that my heart wanted. Service and dining experience even in the early AM is not to be ignored. I hope that it can be improved...but, overall...I enjoyed the food immensely!