“Elegant, fabulous hotel, great location.”

Waldorf Astoria Chicago
Ranked #13 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Malibu
“Elegant, fabulous hotel, great location.”
Reviewed October 28, 2010

I love this hotel! Although it is new, the service is flawless, unobtrusive. Unless you order from room service, the staff will refuse tips. They are discrete, yet friendly and helpful. The hotel itself is a bit austere, but is still lovely. My room, which was upgraded without asking, was a one bedroom suite with fireplace and terrace. It was quiet, and beautifully appointed, and huge. The bathroom was very large, with separate bath and shower and dressing area. As a business woman, this hotel had everything that you would want. Did not get a chance to use spa or fitness center, but will next time. Close to great shopping, too. I felt as if I were in a hotel particulier in Paris. I will definitely return again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank PassportInPurse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Alameda, California
Reviewed October 27, 2010

First, an important note: I did not stay here on my own dime. I was in town for a family wedding and a relative was kind enough to pay for my room. If you're willing to splurge, though, the Elysian is truly an exceptional hotel. Luxurious linens (I don't think I have ever slept as well), a HUGE marble bathroom, great amenities like an iPod dock and a TV in the bathroom mirror so you can watch the game while you're shaving. If you open the window, you'll hear the noise & bustle of the city, but close it and enjoy complete silence.

One kind of weird thing: we checked in on a Friday and there were two wine glasses on our mini bar, which we used that evening. The dirty glasses remained on Saturday, then disappeared and were never replaced with clean glasses! I guess I could have called down and asked for new glasses, but it seems like that's the kind of thing that should have been done without having to ask at a hotel of this caliber. Also, the lock on the front door to our suite was broken and the maintenance person wasn't able to fix it, so we had to leave it propped open all weekend (we had locks on the doors to our individual rooms, so it's not like anyone could have come in, but still, it was a minor inconvenience).

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed October 26, 2010

The Elysian is a glorious hotel – stunningly beautiful and well located within Chicago’s best neighborhood for shopping and dining. What truly sets this property apart from the others, however, is the attention to detail and unmatched level of service provided.

From the moment you enter the majestic courtyard, you know you are in for a treat.
Staff – from the doormen to the front desk to the cleaning service – goes above and beyond to make you feel like you’re the most important guest. Staff will take a request and, instead of simply providing information to satiate that request, will proactively think of ways to make the interaction and answer memorable.

Some of the hotel’s main luxury competitors – say, the Ritz or Four Seasons, I’m sure, also provide reputable service. But, I always find their approach to be almost cookie –cutter corporate like. It’s as if the focus is on ensuring staff is following protocol or brand guidelines, as opposed to making it about the guest. Staff at the Elysian, it seems, are allowed the freedom to interact with each guest in a more personal and intimate way.

The rooms, meanwhile, are gorgeous and provide ample room. Yes, it’s true. Each room has its own fireplace! The bathrooms are huge. Everything in the room is completely updated and luxurious.

With any hotel, it’s the little details that matter, too: Tips, for instance, are politely declined as staff will constantly remind you that it’s unnecessary as it’s their pleasure. And, the claim ticket they hand you when leaving luggage with the concierge after checking out? It’s not some basic numeric ticket. No. The Elysian hands you a whimsical ticket stating “We will treat your luggage as if it were our own”. Nice.

I cannot say enough wonderful things about this hotel. Before staying here, my expectations were incredibly high based on the #1 Tripadvisor rating. I can easily say that the hotel surpassed what I hoped for and envisioned in every way. Not only is the Elysian undoubtedly the best hotel in Chicago, it’s also one of the nicest properties I’ve ever stayed in.

1 Thank jezzie78
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed October 25, 2010

We stayed at the Elysian for two nights to celebrate our anniversary. Everything about our stay was fabulous. The staff were friendly, courteous and helpful. Our room felt like our own private apartment in the city for the weekend. The room was elegantly decorated. The fireplace and soaking tub were wonderful additions to the room. I have stayed at both the Ritz and the Four Seasons in Chicago and I would recommend the Elysian over both. Well done!

Austinburg, Ohio
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Service, staff, accommodations, management, concierge, all impeccable. I have stayed at other luxury hotels in Chicago and this by far is the absolute best. The only problem I experience is I did not want to leave! The restaurants and room service were five star quality. Spa facilities were very enjoyable. The health club area was very well equipped. We took advantage of a few of the classes in the health club and thoroughly enjoyed those as well. The Concierge service was excellent, great recommendations and assistance in obtaining tickets, directions, etc. Lovely hotel. Extremely comfortable accommodations. We booked a suite and it was well worth the price in every way.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Jana5417
Los Angeles
Reviewed October 21, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Elysian for a wedding. We had the great surprise of being upgrade to a suite by the Bride and Groom and could not have been more pleased. The hotel made the extra effort to make sure we had a great stay, the first night we arrived they sent us a plate of french macaroons. I'm not sure if they knew french macaroons are my absolute favorite, and these were very good. The rooms are absolutely gorgeous, modern art deco is how I would describe the decor. The furnishings are high quality and the bathrooms are simply amazing. I don't think we ever enjoyed taking a bath as much as we did at the hotel. We ate at the more casual restaurant two times, breakfast and lunch. The hotel also served the dinner for the wedding. All of the meals were fantastic, focusing on the quality and flavors of the food.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 18, 2010

Service and dining are exceptional. It's simple elegance. Staff attentive and service personalized.