“Simply, Fabulous.”

Ranked #15 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Austinburg, Ohio
“Simply, Fabulous.”
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Service, staff, accommodations, management, concierge, all impeccable. I have stayed at other luxury hotels in Chicago and this by far is the absolute best. The only problem I experience is I did not want to leave! The restaurants and room service were five star quality. Spa facilities were very enjoyable. The health club area was very well equipped. We took advantage of a few of the classes in the health club and thoroughly enjoyed those as well. The Concierge service was excellent, great recommendations and assistance in obtaining tickets, directions, etc. Lovely hotel. Extremely comfortable accommodations. We booked a suite and it was well worth the price in every way.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Jana5417

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles
Reviewed October 21, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Elysian for a wedding. We had the great surprise of being upgrade to a suite by the Bride and Groom and could not have been more pleased. The hotel made the extra effort to make sure we had a great stay, the first night we arrived they sent us a plate of french macaroons. I'm not sure if they knew french macaroons are my absolute favorite, and these were very good. The rooms are absolutely gorgeous, modern art deco is how I would describe the decor. The furnishings are high quality and the bathrooms are simply amazing. I don't think we ever enjoyed taking a bath as much as we did at the hotel. We ate at the more casual restaurant two times, breakfast and lunch. The hotel also served the dinner for the wedding. All of the meals were fantastic, focusing on the quality and flavors of the food.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 18, 2010

Service and dining are exceptional. It's simple elegance. Staff attentive and service personalized.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 17, 2010

I read the reviews on this hotel before my trip and found it hard to believe a hotel could be so perfect so I took it as a personal challenge to find a problem with the Elysian. I hate to lose but in this case I happily failed and couldn't find any flaws--the hotel lived up to the hype.

Each time I returned to the hotel, I felt like I was coming home as the staff always greeted me with a since and warm reception. They catered to my every need, it was evident they cared and had a passion to go above and beyond guest's expectations.

The design ambiance of the rooms was really well thought through and executed perfectly. The fireplace in the rooms was such a unique touch, especially for a big city hotel. How do I get the name of their interior designer?

It's a stretch but if I had to make one suggestion, I'd like to have an iron and ironing board in the room. I called the front desk and one appeared in a matter of minutes but it's amenity that's nice to have.

My only regret is that I didn't get to experience the bar and restaurant this trip, just a good reason to return!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
DC
Reviewed October 17, 2010

This hotel is top notche. All the reviews hit it on the nose. Superior service, there were so many staff around to help and be of service, they were almost imposing. Not there to intimidate you, but they were just everywhere to help. It seemed to be an insult to offer a tip. They did not accept tips. The rooms were some of the best I stayed. The "sweet" suite layout was very comfortable for privacy and guests. Guests came to visit, in the living room with the fireplace, and my travel partner was resting in the bedroom. The weather didn't really warrant the fireplace, but with the sliding balcony door, it gave us the breeze of CHI with the warmth of the fireplace. Having a separate half bath was also convenient, and thoughtful. One of the coolest things was the TV, within the mirror in the bathroom. You see the remote and know it goes to something, so i clicked all around the bathroom and WHOA! there it was behind the dual sink mirror. Walked to hugo Frog for dinner, walked Oak Street, Michigan Ave high-end window shopping. Just a great stay! This hotel is a MUST. And we didn't even get a chance to visit the whirlpool/suana/steam rooms.

• Stayed October 2010
Texas
Reviewed October 13, 2010

O.M.G. Where to begin? From the initial contact with Dana, who you knew was smiling on the other end of the line, to the concierge Mark, who made an appointment for me to have my hair cut and colored (wow! I feel like an "after" picture!), to every single person we came in contact with at this delightful hotel. The suite was amazing -- fireplace and balcony in the sitting room, bathroom to die for with a deep soaking tub and a very cool television in the mirror, very comfortable bedroom and perfect dressing room. The little touches, from the water at check in and check-out, to the i-pod dock, the leather-lined tray for men's pocket items (my husband loved that), to the very elegant little alarm clock that didn't glow at night -- all of these, and many more too numerous to mention, added up to a simply delightful stay where we felt pampered and appreciated.

When we checked in, I realized that I had forgotten my cord for my laptop. They first checked their supply of cords to see if they already had one I could use, then immediately offered to have an Ambassador run to the Apple store and purchase a new one for me. The new cord arrived (on a tray!) a half-hour later. Or, had I preferred, the house BMW would have whisked me there, but I was too hungry and looking forward to the room service I had ordered -- Halibut with a perfect char, with a Meyer Lemon foam that was to die for, served with tiny grape-sized potatoes. I was transported. Unfortunately, we did not have a chance to further explore the culinary offerings of the restaurants, but if the room service was that good, I look forward to trying the restaurants during our next visit to our new favorite hotel! Oh, and the spa -- which looked amazing, too, but you always have to leave something for next time...

Delaware
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Wow...i mean un-be-lievable. The Elysian has come as close to hotel perfection as i could imagine. From the moment you pull up and the doorman/bellmen greet you, to the front desk in an amazingly beautiful lobby, to the stunning rooms, and the prompt room service, this hotel has instantly become my gold standard in the industry

I stayed for only 1 night on a business trip and almost didnt want to leave the hotel at all. The location is pretty good, within walking distance to Navy Pier, a number of fine restaurants, good night life (check out the underground Wonder Bar directly across the street), and also very close to the hancock center/shopping area.

But back to the Hotel experience itself. I am not sure how to even express in words how incredible the experience was. So, i'll just list out the positives:

- Impeccably clean. not even a drop of dust anywhere. The floors in the rooms had obviously just been vacuumed. not even a fingerprint on any of the glass tables
-Tremendous Service. the entire staff was genuinely friendly and helpful, but without being pushy or making anything seem routine.
- Free internet. THANK YOU! There is no reason for 5 star hotels to charge for internet access.
- Free Bottled water at check in/out - After a long day on planes and in airports, that was actually just what i needed
- Terraces in every room. With the recent warm weather in Chicago, it was so nice to sit on the terrace and have a few drinks and then in the morning, have breakfast outside
- Spacious bathrooms, with plenty of space for tall people like me
- Ipod/iphone dock with speaker. I plugged in, tuned in to the free internet, and i had sirius radio playing while sitting on the terrace
- Private Bar. note that this was a wet bar, not just a fridge with little bottles in it. Stocked with great liquor, interesting non-alc beverages, and tasty snacks.
- Quick room service - i ordered a pizza for a mid day snack after check in, and breakfast the next day. Neither meal took longer than 25 minutes to arrive. They even brought up a large carafe of purified water with the pizza (didnt even ask for it)

I could honestly go on for pages on the positives. Lierally at every turn, every minute, there was another positive

Cons...cons? okay, there has to be some right? These are completely nit-picking, but i guess the Elysian would want to know so they can inch ever closer to unattainable perfection
- Breakfast size - delicious, but small. maybe i just ordered the smallest option, but i was left a bit hungry after the meal.
- OJ - there was no orange juice in the private bar. would've like to have some as its tough to make screwdrivers without OJ
- Doorbell - Yes, the room had a doorbell, but it could barely be heard once inside the suite. maybe have a way to turn the volume up/down on it
- service - absolutely not a thing...don't change anything about the service.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business