“Best hotel in Chicago”

Ranked #15 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“Best hotel in Chicago”
Reviewed February 17, 2010

The Elysian is unbelievable. My boyfriend took me here as a surprise on valentine's day and I was blown away by the beauty and elegance of this hotel. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we were treated like royalty.

The fireplace was so romantic. The towels and bathrobes were plush and comfortable (and I am picky when it comes to this). The soaking tub and gigantic shower were fabulous. The bed was like sleeping on a cloud... I could go on and on.

We've stayed at most of the top hotels in Chicago (James, Sofitel, Conrad, etc.) and this is my absolute favorite! I did not want to leave and I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelGirl41184

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
chicago IL
Reviewed February 16, 2010

I surpised my husband with a Valentine's Day overnight and wish we could have stayed longer. What a beautiful hotel---huge dreamy bathroom with tons of room, tons of carrara marble and bizzaza tiles, separate tub, toilet,and shower.

Lovely fireplace. There's plenty of closets, a great bed, plush towels and the push button room controls are easy to use. The only gaffes were no cotton, qtips or shower cap in the bathroom, constant knocking on the door from housekeeping (a no no). Room service forgot one of the items ordered.

But the kinks will probably be ironed out soon as its brand new.
We had dinner at Balsan which we truly enjoyed. The food and service were terrific. Bernard's Bar was cozy but not enough selections by the glass.

The work out facility is a mini East Bank. I've seen lots of luxury hotels but this tops them for this.
Spa looks small but upscale. Can't wait to come back.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed February 16, 2010

We have been coming to Chicago for the past 20 years and have never, ever stayed at a hotel that could rival The Elysian. From the first moment we arrived to the time we left we were treated better than the Queen of England. First class does not describe this hotel. Everyone knew not only your name but the fact that it was both our birthdays was not overlooked. The room was outstanding. The restaurants served the most incredible delicacies. We were even privileged to go into the kitchen after dinner in the Ria and meet the chef. He is incredible talented! The entire staff was first class. I kept waiting for there to be something I could complain about, no place could be this wonderful without a flaw.... I was wrong. We will never ever stay at another hotel in Chicago again. It was the most incredible experience we had had anywhere.... Period

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peter K
Illinois
Reviewed February 2, 2010

We had 8 rooms for our family over the weekend of 1/22, and staying at this hotel really added to our experience in Chicago. Not only are the rooms absolutely beautiful (with a fireplace in each room), the bathrooms and all of the amenities are fantastic too. The spa is gorgeous. The gym has all of the best equipment. It is really hard to find something that was forgotten here! The staff couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. None of us wanted to go home and we all want to stay here again.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Ohio
Reviewed January 4, 2010

We took a flier on this newly opened hotel and are so happy we did. It is a beautiful building - no expense was spared in the public or private spaces. The spa is beautiful, top quality fitness equipment and stunning pool and hot tub/steam room facilities.

The hotel staff are extremely service oriented and the no-tipping policy really makes you feel like a welcomed guest.

We ate twice at Balsan and loved it - great food and service at reasonable prices.

The only bad thing about our trip is that we are ruined for future trips - no place will ever equal the Elysian.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Ill.
Reviewed December 27, 2009

This hotel has the appearance of a 5 star facility but when we stayed for 2 nights recently there were so many small glitches that I would have to consider it 3 star max - How can they compete with the truly great hotels in the city - Trump - Penninsula - Ritz Carlton Four seasons are well established luxury brands and the Elysian seems to be a minor league team against a magor league - We paid less than half of rack rate for a std room and were upgraded to a 1 Bedroom suite and still left feeling that it was not a good value - We would rather pay more and get 5 star service - The "fine dining " restaurant was the worst dinner I have had in recent memory [ I can't even remember the name but it is one to AVOID ] The Bisto restaurant was better but still not a choice that I would return to - Too bad Charlie Trotter pulled out of his agreement to run the food services but they definitely have a long road ahead - Room service breakfast is usually a good barometer of how well a hotel is on their game and my omelette was so undercooked that I could not eat it - What a shame but these guys are going to price their rooms equal to Sheraton - Westin - Hyatt because that is the level of service being provided - My bet is that within 6 months the hotel will be in enough financial trouble that it will be taken over by an experienced hotel operator and only then will I consider returning . Even then it might be tough to forget that the views are basically straight into a building across the street or if you are unlucky straight into the parking garage across the street .

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
7 Thank HILTONJOHN123
Chicago, IL
Reviewed December 17, 2009

The fireplace, the velvet couch, the big flat-screen tv! The soaking tub, the tv in the mirror in the bathroom and the room service - amazing:) I ordered room service one night, and my chocolate torte was delivered with a candle! I ordered coffee service one morning, and it was delivered with a beautiful dark purple lily in a vase on the tray:)

Their attention to detail is spectacular, and the "no-tipping' policy, makes everyone so much more at-ease. Loved the hotel, hospitality & food!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business