WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Waldorf Astoria Chicago

Waldorf Astoria Chicago
Ranked #8 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Mequon, Wisconsin, USA
“Excellent spa, classy rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

I arrived this past Friday around 5pm. I am a Hilton Gold member and stay almost exclusively at Hilton-branded hotels. When I arrived there, I was given a nice welcome and a bottle of water.

I found out my room was only on the 8th floor. I looked at the window and saw that my view was of nothing but a brick wall. I was pretty bummed about this so I called down to the desk to see if they could move me to a high-floor room. My preferences in my profile strictly say "king bed, high floor". At first the manager said that no rooms on higher floors were available, but then all of the sudden she said "oh wait, something just opened up!"

She came up to my room and exchanged keys with me and gave me a key to a room in the 24th floor.

The room had a much better view, several comfortable chairs, an awesome bathtub, a shower, and toilet.

The bed was pretty comfortable and the room was nice and large.

I really appreciated the spa which had awesome locker rooms with a jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. I did not swim in the pool, but it was nice and warm water.

On the same level as the spa, there is a sundeck with chairs that gives a nice 4th floor view of the city.

Each time I had to call the desk, the attendants were kind. They pronounced my last name correctly, which isn't easy.

I appreciated the extra foam pillows delivered to my room, as I have a stiff neck and need firm pillows.

The only thing that I would have liked would have been the Gold Upgrade, which is usually never a problem at Hilton hotels. I guess the place was packed.

The prices are awfully high at this property but worth it. It's located in a great and safe neighborhood so no worry about crime.

Room Tip: High floors, facing the water.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank R.C. W
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear R.C. W,

Thank you for sharing your feedback of your most recent visit with us. I regret to learn that the view from your suite initially was not to your like; however, I am pleased to read that we were able to change your room to a higher level and that the view was much more pleasant. Thank you for your positive comments pertaining to our Elysian Spa & Health Club. It gives me great pleasure to learn that you enjoyed its amenities including the view from its terrace. I am sorry that we couldn’t offer you an upgrade during this last visit due to the hotel’s high occupancy. I hope you will consider visiting us again in the near future so maybe next time we can offer you the upgrade and you can enjoy a different suite.

Richard R. Evanich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
bettendorf, ia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

outstanding experience! Great staff, fantastic beds and perfect location for shopping and nightlife. Health club is nice, food experience was very good. very quiet rooms, very helpful staff. Truely a very top rate experience. we've stayed in most of the 'top tier' hotels in Chicago and this ranks at the top! Would highly recommend and will be our preferred place of stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

3 Thank Kent P
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear Kent P,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive feedback of your most recent stay with us. It gives me great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your suite and the various amenities the hotel offers, especially our Elysian Spa & Health Club and our restaurant Balsan. Thank you for your positive comments pertaining to our service team. We are thrilled to read that we have become one of your top hotels in the city and that you will be staying with us again in the future. Your loyalty and patronage are highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the not far future.

Fayetteville, AR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

I did not plan to stay in Chicago, but with the thunderstorm system moving through Chicago, I thought I would forcibly be stuck at O'Hare for the night. Luckily, there was an availability at the Waldorf Astoria. Checking in around midnight, I was greeted by a very welcoming and enthusiast staff at the front desk. As a HHonors Diamond member, I was very pleased to find out that my room was upgraded to the Luxury Suite. The room was beautifully appointed with a separate living area and a real fire-place. The bathroom had a TV in the mirror and was stocked with Salvatore Ferragamo toiletries. The bedroom was on a small side but the bed was just awesome.

Overall, Waldorf Astoria Chicago was able to turn my travel-craziness night into a wonderful relaxing time.The most impressive thing here is the service, the staff here really know hospitality and the little things that make their guests feel welcomed.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Wiwat L
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Wiwat L,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback of your most recent visit with us. I am sorry that you were trapped in Chicago due to the thunderstorm; however, I am truly delighted to read that this gave you the opportunity to stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed the Luxury suite, but most importantly, that our service team was able to make your stay more pleasant and that your stay made your unpleasant night more relaxing. Thank you again for giving us an opportunity to serve you; we will look forward to serving you again should your travels bring you back our way.

Issaquah, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

My favorite hotel in Chicago! I had planned a 50th Anniversary party for my parents at the Waldorf Astoria and they did not disappoint. It was the most Amazing party a night no one will ever forget. I had to make several trips into Chicago for the planning process and each and ever time the hotel staff remembered me by name. Very impressive! I loved that it did not feel like every other hotel. Check in extremely quick and then off to my very impressive room. Walked in and my jaw hit the floor. Beautiful suite with a amazing balcony overlooking downtown and also slices of Lake Michigan. One of the most Beautiful properties in the Chicago area and I had looked at several. I can't say enough about the hotel, the staff, the service exceptional all the way around. They treated everyone of my guests like royality. Even the ones who showed up with coolers at check in :). I can't say enough about this wonderful property do yourself a favor and check it out. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Lake Michigan! I was there in August and the Airshow was going on. I was able to...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Nancy M
Dear Nancy M,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago to celebrate such a special occasion for your parents. I am truly delighted to read that you enjoyed your suite, the view from your balcony and that our team was helpful and efficient throughout the planning process of your special visit and your entire stay. Thank you for your very kind words pertaining to our staff. I have shared your comments with the entire team for I know they will find equally rewarding to learn of your acknowledgement of their efforts to make our guests’ visits more memorable. Thank you again to you and your family for celebrating this special anniversary of your parents with us. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

As soon as I pulled up I knew I was in the right place. The door men and women were stellar and were extremely kind. Once I arrived inside, I was led to the front desk and was quickly waited on. The young lady who helped me was in training and she done a wonderful job. I wondered what perks I would have as a Hilton Diamonds member, and the discovery that I didn't get much, was a bit if a disappointment for such an expensive hotel room. My room was very nice and extremely quiet. The workout facility was nice and I was overjoyed that I was the only one in there, so it made for a really nice workout. The only two downfalls were: 1. My cell phone got zero reception, which made me a little nervous as I don't like being without the ability to use my cell phone and receive calls. 2. My shower head was clogged, so I could not get a very small and thin outpouring of water. Luckily, I had a few extra minutes, so I took a bath instead. I am not sure I would go back, but it was definitely a nice experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MissToraT
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear Miss ToraT,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback of your most recent visit to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your suite and the various amenities the hotel has to offer, especially our Elysian Spa & Health Club. On the other hand, I regret to read about the inconveniences you experienced during stay, especially with regard to the bad cell phone reception and the clogged shower head in your bathroom. I have brought your concerns to the attention of our Director of Engineering and our Director of IT for internal review. I sincerely hope that you will reconsider visiting with us again in the near future. We will look forward to our next opportunity to properly serve you.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

The Chicago Waldorf Astoria is an amazing hotel. It is by far the top of the line for a Hilton property. This hotel is reasonably priced for the quality of the facility. I've traveled extensively and thus far is the best hotel I've ever visited.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Drew F,

Thank you for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago during your most recent visit to the Windy City and for the review of your stay. I am thrilled to read that you found our hotel one of the best ones in the Midwest. I will certainly share your kind comments with the entire team for comments like yours inspire our continued pursuit of excellence in everything we do. We will look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the not far future.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

This hotel was a wonderful getaway for us. We had wanted to visit Chicago again for several years and the team at this hotel made it all so special. I contacted the concierge before our trip and he was so very helpful from that point forward. Everyone at the concierge desk wanted to hear how our day had gone and how they could help with more plans. The rooms were luxurious--bathrooms are a dream. Room service brought a coffee maker to our room and refilled our fresh ground coffee everyday. Only negative was the room did not have a view at all--we were facing old buildings very close to us. We just kept the drapes closed. We were there 4 days and loved it. Location was so close to the Magnificent Mile and many great restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the old vacant building next door
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear TXFoodie75230,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback of your most recent visit to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am truly pleased to read that you found comfort in your suite and that you enjoyed the various amenities the hotel has to offer, especially our Concierge services and our In Room Dining. Thank you for your positive remarks with regard to our service team. I am delighted to learn that the team was able to make this special visit a little more memorable. I regret to learn, however, that the view from your suite was not enjoyable. I hope you will consider visiting with us again in the near future so you can enjoy a better view from a suite in a higher level. We will look forward to welcoming you and your travel companion back soon.