“Luxury + Service”

Ranked #14 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Dallas, Texas
“Luxury + Service”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

This hotel was a wonderful getaway for us. We had wanted to visit Chicago again for several years and the team at this hotel made it all so special. I contacted the concierge before our trip and he was so very helpful from that point forward. Everyone at the concierge desk wanted to hear how our day had gone and how they could help with more plans. The rooms were luxurious--bathrooms are a dream. Room service brought a coffee maker to our room and refilled our fresh ground coffee everyday. Only negative was the room did not have a view at all--we were facing old buildings very close to us. We just kept the drapes closed. We were there 4 days and loved it. Location was so close to the Magnificent Mile and many great restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the old vacant building next door
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear TXFoodie75230,

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback of your most recent visit to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am truly pleased to read that you found comfort in your suite and that you enjoyed the various amenities the hotel has to offer, especially our Concierge services and our In Room Dining. Thank you for your positive remarks with regard to our service team. I am delighted to learn that the team was able to make this special visit a little more memorable. I regret to learn, however, that the view from your suite was not enjoyable. I hope you will consider visiting with us again in the near future so you can enjoy a better view from a suite in a higher level. We will look forward to welcoming you and your travel companion back soon.

Richard R. Evanich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Chicago
Reviewed June 17, 2014

The Chicago Waldorf was a distressed property when it was purchased. That didn't make it bad, It just was a smart move to pick up a super-lux property that was finished during the Great Recession. One gets a sense of the property by just entering the driveway. The staff calmly wait your needs with a big "how are you today" look on their face. Once inside the guest will see a building that is new and appointed beautifully. The rooms were as expected with wonderful beds and pillows. I did not eat there because there are too many fine restaurants and cages in just 2 blocks. I will go back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Pixelpanderer
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Pixelpanderer,

Thank you for your review of your most recent visit to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am delighted to read that you enjoy the hotel‘s décor and that you found comfort in your suite. Thank you for your positive comments with regard to our service team. I am pleased to read that our team was able to make you feel welcome and provided you with a warm yet efficient service. We are thrilled to read that you will be visiting with us again in the future. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

San Ramon, United States
Reviewed June 17, 2014

The staff at the hotel provided excellent service. This hotel is not cheap, but when you compare the price to other comparable hotels in the area, it's actually not bad. We did feel that cellphone/wifi reception at the hotel (both in the room and in lobby area) was very spotty (although free).

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

1 Thank Alfred P
Dear Alfred P,

Thank you for sharing your feedback of your most recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. It gives me great pleasure to read that our service team assisted you in an efficient and professional manner. I regret to read, however,that you had problems with your cell phone and wireless reception. I have shared your concerns with our Director of IT. I truly apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused. We value and appreciate your patronage and will look forward to serving you again should your travels bring you back our way.

Jindabyne, Australia
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel for 5 nights and I must say it lived up to all my expectations and then some. I had reviewed this hotel before my visit and all the reviews were spot on. I was away for 7 weeks and all the properties I'd stayed at this was the best. It deserves it's 5 stars. From the moment I arrived it was first class all the way. Not often do you experience such a warm welcome, friendly and helpful staff. They couldn't do enough for me and as I was travelling on my own this support was very important and made my stay so much more enjoyable. What can I say about the suite I was lucky to be allocated as it was excellent in the amenities and ambience. I was very comfortable and any problems I had were swiftly seen to. The weather had turned cold and wet while I was there so the fire place was very welcome. I would highly recommend this property to other travellers and hope to return for another visit.

Room Tip: A high floor is a must to take advantage of the Chicago skyline.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Lynn872
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Lynn872,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of your most recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. I am truly pleased to read that our team made you feel welcome and were able to efficiently assist you during your five night stay; I am also pleased to learn that you enjoyed your suite and its various amenities, especially its fireplace. Thank you so much for recommending our hotel. Your loyalty is highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

Ada, United States
Reviewed June 13, 2014

We expected the luxurious accommodations, but it was the personal attention and genuine care that impressed us the most. It's what makes a hotel destination special, and separates the best from the rest.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Ben, Lisa D,

Thank you so much for your positive comments pertaining to your most recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am delighted to read that our team was efficient and made you feel welcome throughout your visit. I have shared your kind words with the entire team. We truly appreciate your patronage and will look forward to welcoming you back should your travels bring you back to Chicago.

Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Obviously this hotel is not for those that are looking for an affordable hotel, its spendy. But, if you want a high class hotel that treats you like royalty and has everything you want, then this is the hotel for you.
Complementary everything, including car if someone else hasn't borrowed it.
The only downer was that they were working on the pool while we were there and I do enjoy pools.
Otherwise I will visit again.
Also easy access to Michigan Ave and lots of shopping & restaurants.

Room Tip: Higher the better.
1 Thank oxx155
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear oxx155,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback of your most recent visit to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. It gives me great pleasure to read that you found the hotel’s location convenient and that you enjoyed the various unique amenities the hotel has to offer. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused by our pool being out of order. Our Engineers are diligently working on it so that our guests can fully enjoy it again within the next few days. I hope you will give us a second opportunity to serve you so you can enjoy all of the amenities we offer, including the pool. We will look forward to welcoming you back!

Washington, Illinois
Reviewed June 12, 2014

We had a wonderful time in the opulence of the Waldorf Astoria. We decided to splurge on our hotel and we will definitely do it again.

We chose the Waldorf Astoria because it was one of the few 4-5 star hotels in the area that had 2 queen beds available. We also liked the convenient location. We walked to the John Hancock building and shopped at Water Tower Place. It was wonderful to not have to drive or find parking and we dropped shopping bags off at the hotel and went back out since it was so close, just a block off of Michigan Avenue.

We ordered room service one night and got the most delicious Hucklberry Tart at 10 pm.

The TV hidden in the bathroom mirror was intriguing. It wasn't the best resolution, but the novelty was great.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Marla B
Dear Maria B,

Thank you for posting your review of your most recent visit to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am pleased to read that we were able to accommodate your preference of a Double Queen Room, but most importantly, I am delighted to read that you and your family found comfort in it. I am also glad to read that you found the hotel’s location convenient and that you could comfortably do your shopping without worrying about parking or the stress of traffic. Thank you for your kind comments pertaining to our In Room Dining service. I will share your comments with our pastry Chef, Andrew. I am sure he will be thrilled to read that you truly enjoyed his Huckleberry Tart. Your patronage is highly valued. We will look forward to welcoming you back should your travels bring you back to the Windy City.