“Simply fantastic” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Detroit
“Simply fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. Everybody in their staff is courteous and professional, rooms are very clean and serviced promptly, including turn-down service. Concierge is always helpful with great dining recommendations, directions or tickets to local venues that are delivered to the room. Also, great location in the Gold Coast neighborhood close to Old Town.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear dbocca,

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback pertaining to your most recent visit with us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that the quality of our service did not disappoint and that you found the hotel’s location convenient. Thank you for your positive remarks with regard to our Concierge team. I am delighted to learn that they efficiently assisted you with your activity planning during your stay. We will look forward to welcoming you back should your travels bring you back our way.

Richard R. Evanich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

The Gold Coast Suite is highly recommended and it was the perfect setting to do a marriage proposal. Get one of the corner suites that has a fireplace, great views, patio, and an overall great setup. It was a moment i know she wont ever forget, especially since there is a local spa on site that offers couples massages too. Would definitely come back here for any special occasions in Chicago!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank devilpup88
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear devilpup88,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago for this once-in-a-lifetime celebration. I am truly pleased to read that our Gold Coast suite was the perfect setting for you. I am also delighted to read that you and your fiancée had a memorable time and that you enjoyed not only your suite but also our Elysian Spa & Health Club. Your patronage and loyalty are highly valued. We will look forward to making many more special occasions for you a little more memorable.

Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

Just had a 4 day stay at the Waldorf Astoria in Chicago. The hotels location is great, right on Rush street and close to Michigan Avenue. The staff is wonderful, including the concierge who knew us by name. They arranged transportation for us to Milwaukee one night, and helped with other bits of information. We used Uber for all our other transportation needs, as it's a lot faster than a taxi (and a lot nicer). We stayed in a two-bedroom Grand Suite, and it was very roomy, well appointed, and had great bathrooms. Note if you are staying in this room with a family, it's basically just two suites with a common entrance, so a lot of wasted space unless you like being totally separate while in the room. Only drawback was the food at their restaurant, and in-room dining was not very good. While we did have breakfast in the room each morning, it was average at best. They certainly could improve upon this area. Overall, would certainly come back, just would probably not eat there again. Outstanding property otherwise.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank mattmayse
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear mattmayse,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback of your most recent visit to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor. It gives me great pleasure to read that you enjoyed your Grand Suite and that our service team, especially our concierges, were able to provide you with a friendly and efficient service. I sincerely regret to read that you did not enjoy your dining experiences at the hotel. I have shared your concerns with our Executive Chef and his team. Really exciting changes will be happening in this area very soon. I am thrilled to read that you and your family will be visiting with us again. Your loyalty is highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to serving you again, hopefully in the not far future.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

I stayed at the Waldorf during the first part of January 2014 when it was extremely cold. On the plus side, there was a fair amount of open rooms so I was provided a very generous upgrade. The suite I was given was quite large and very comfortable. I would certainly stay there again.

The one reason for pause was how the hotel handled an unfortunate incident involving a water line breaking that resulted in the cable, telephone and wi-fi going out the remainder of my stay and the fire department arriving to the hotel with sirens blaring. Obviously, a water line breaking and flooding a server room is beyond their immediate control. Unfortunately, the bitter cold night was not really conducive to walking about outside to burn time.

Practically speaking, I had my choice between hanging at the hotel bar or sitting in my room. With no internet connection, keeping up with work email was out of the question and there was no cable. In the end, I made the best of the situation and read the newspaper and some work related periodicals. What was disappointing was what heappened the next day when I checked out. Without prompting, the front desk staff diligently took my email information, adding me to a long list of departing guests. I was told someone from the hotel would be in contact about the lack of services. Great, nice gesture.However, the only contact I received came a few days later and it was a bill for a bottle of water from my mini-bar. Which I guess would be okay if I actually took anything from the mini-bar! Bottom line, the Waldorf is a top-flight hotel. I don't know what they did to reach out to the other guests that stayed during this unfortunate time period, but just brushing it off, particularly when I was specifically asked for my email information so the hotel could contact me, presented a customer service experience well below what this grand hotel should be delivering to its customers.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Horton-SFO
WAChicago, Hotel Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Horton-SFO,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback of your most recent visit to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago.

First and foremost, I would like to apologize for the series of inconveniences you experienced during your stay and sincerely thank you for kind patience and understanding. We did indeed reach out to all of our guests who stayed with us during this unfortunate incident. I regret to learn that we failed to reach out to you.

I would like the opportunity to speak with you to personally apologize and discuss what we can do so you can give us another opportunity to provide you with the quality of service we proud ourselves in. I can be contacted at Joe.Piantedosi@waldorfastoria.com, or alternatively, my direct number is 312-646-1353.

I look forward to the opportunity to regain your faith in our ability to properly serve you.

Apologetically,

Joe Piantedosi
Hotel Manager
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

There was not a single flaw (as far as I could see) in this wonderful hotel in the heart of Chicago. The rooms are beautiful and incredibly spacious. We had a suite on the top floor (even though all the rooms are nice) and enjoyed the views, the space, the ammenities and the FIREPLACE!!! Yes a fireplace for the cold Chicago nights. This is my 4th time staying here and it has become one of my favorite hotels in the states. The staff is excellent and the best part is: IT IS A NO TIPPING HOTEL! What a pleasure to not have your wallet out every minute. They are also very generous with the hotel car as long as it's within their boundaries. I never had to wait long. Well run and beautiful hotel. And you are one block away from Oak Street and excellent shopping.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear Rachel T,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share such candid feedback of your most recent visit with us on TripAdvisor, and of course, thank you for staying with us again. You loyalty is highly valued and appreciated. I am truly pleased to read that you have enjoyed the different suites you have stayed in and the various amenities the hotel has to offer, especially the house car and our no tipping policy. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you should your travels bring you back our way soon.

Hailey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

Had the pleasure of staying here during the week while in town on business. Perfect location just in the gold coast. The hotel itself is stylish and tastefull. The bar area is a hive of activity in the evenings, great crowd but not too busy. The food is devine, the breakfast coffee is amazing!! My one issue was the Cable TV speed as it was temperamental and cut out sporadically. One last thing the staff are amazing. From carrying my bags, to the very attentive bar/restaurant staff. they were a joy to deal with. Looking forward to my next stay

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear Robert C,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during your business trip to the Windy City and for taking the time to share your feedback of your visit on TripAdvisor. I am truly pleased to read that our service team made your stay more enjoyable and most importantly, I am thrilled to read that you will be visiting with us again. I regret to read about the problems you had with your television. Your concerns are being reviewed with our IT team. Just like you, we look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

My wife and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary this weekend and stayed in a gold coast suite. Everything about this hotel is top of the line and far exceeded our expectations, from our greeting at check-in by our "personal assistant", to the morning coffee service personally delivered to our suite, to the champagne waiting for us after we returned from dinner. The service at this hotel cannot be beat, and everything was 100% top quality. What a fantastic experience and great way to get away from it all!

Room Tip: If it's winter time, you can't beat a suite with a gas fireplace!