“TOP NOTCH HOTEL”

Ranked #15 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
New York City, New York
“TOP NOTCH HOTEL”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

Everything about this hotel is top notch. This is not your typical Hilton by any stretch of the imagination, but then again, neither is the price. But you get more then what you pay for. The staff was excellent and very helpful. The rooms were very nice and large and made you feel very comfortable. Equipped with Ferragamo products (didnt know existed). The soaking tub was excellent and actually used it to get that cold Chicago chill out of my bones!

As it is freezing in Chicago now it wasn't that busy and I had the spa to myself which was really nice. Great massage and great eucalyptus steam room and hot tub.

House car was also a nice perk (New Merc Benz S550). Used it to drive me to the Daily Center for a court appearance. Very nice driver, would not accept a tip. Neither did anyone else at the hotel. Although its a nice way to thank people for their service, its nice not to have to go into your pocket every 5 minutes to thank someone for something that is part of the service you should receive.

Room Tip: Amex Platinum and Gold HHonors provided for a very nice upgrade
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Dear mattjb24,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback of your most recent visit with us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you found comfort in your suite and that you enjoyed the various unique amenities the hotel has to offer, especially our Elysian Spa & Health Club and the House Car. I am pleased as well to read that you enjoyed our no tipping policy. Our philosophy of service is to serve with no expectations of receiving anything in return except our guest’s smile and desire to visit with us again. We will look forward to serving you again, hopefully in the not far future.

Richard R. Evanich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Wonderful Luxe hotel spot for a nice relaxing quiet stay in Chicago. I did visit the Elysian Spa there and got the body polish service. I would not recommend this as it was not that great of a service for the price paid. It is a very dry and abrasive application. They do not use a shower to cleanse the skin after the scrub (only towels), but the massage at the end was very nice.

The in room dining was very delicious and worth every penny. The coffee was very tasty and my muffin was very moist and came with an amazing butter and compote jelly. There are not a lot of small fast food places around here (like Potbelly's or Cosi) to grab a quick bite. Only fancy restaurants around this area like Gibsons, etc.

I was on the 18th floor and it was very quiet, albeit a little drafty throughout the suite, but warmed up nicely if the fireplace was kept on. There was a little bit of a sewer smell in the bathroom too but once I opened the door it went away a little bit. The room was gorgeous!! Would be a great romantic getaway!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Rebekah R,

Thank you so much for your review of your most recent stay with us. I am pleased to read that you found comfort in your suite and you enjoyed its view and décor. I regret to learn, however, that your spa treatment did not meet your expectations. I have shared your comments with our Spa Director for internal review. Thank you for your kind comments pertaining to our In Room Dining service. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed its menu. I have also shared your feedback pertaining to your bathroom with our Director of Engineering. Please do not hesitate to inform our team should this problem arise again on your next visit. Your patronage is truly valued. We will look forward to welcoming you back should your travels bring you back to Chicago either on business or perhaps to enjoy a romantic getaway.

San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

We stayed here twice in 2013 and enjoyed both visits. The property is conveniently located off Michigan ave and the lovely courtyard offers this wonderful respite from the hustle and bustle of city life.
We stayed once as a couple in late August and once with our son right after christmas. Both times we had an astoria suite and found the accommodations to be spacious, well appointed and comfortable.
The spa is great and the gym offered all we needed, though our son was disappointed in the pool.
The only negative was the lack of a proper restaurant!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sbodie
Dear sbodie,

Thank you so much for your review of your recent stays at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago, and most importantly, thank you for visiting with us again. I am pleased to read that both times you enjoyed your suite and the various unique amenities it has to offer. On the other hand, I regret to read that Balsan did not meet your expectations. Great changes are happening in the restaurant menu, and I certainly hope that next time you visit with us you get to enjoy what our culinary leaders are dutifully putting together for the new season. We will look forward to serving you again should your travels bring you back our way.

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

This would be all fives, but it is hard to give full value points for an establishment at this price point. That being said I believed the property to be worth the cost. The staff is friendly and attentive. My wife and I changed hotels mid stay on or anniversary trip and checked in on the day of or anniversary. The staff went out of their way to acknowledge our small event. The hotel car was a great help as well. It only travels within two miles of the property, but due to the location we were able to get most places we desired to go. The spa and gym are amazing. Great hotel to experience luxury. Oh and there was a television behind the mirror in the bathroom. Great to relax with a movie in the oversized tub.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear abvas,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback of your most recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you chose our hotel to celebrate your anniversary. Thank you for your remarks pertaining to our service team. I am pleased to learn that the team was able to make your time with us a little more memorable and that you enjoyed the various amenities the hotel has to offer, especially the House Car and the TV in the mirror. We will look forward to celebrating another special occasion for you and your wife, hopefully in the not far future.

Richmond
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

Even though this is a little way from the main business area (although it is very convenient for Michigan avenue) I always stay here. It is a lovely hotel, very well appointed and with excellent service. Rooms - on three of the four times I have stayed here, I have been upgraded to a Waldorf suite which has a separate living area with a fire and fireplace (the fire is remote controlled, and gas but "real fire, effect). The bathrooms are nice and spacious, though this time my shower head was rather pathetic. Lots of dressing room / wardrobe space, and good toiletries. A nice desk, and free wifi. The standard rooms are not at all bad either, especially for the rate. If I have one gripe about the room, it is the lighting. The switches are super complicated touch dimmer things. Turning the lights on and off requires skill that I don't have without my glasses on in the morning. Bring back light switches!! I usually need a late checkout, and the hotel is very accommodating. The major downside of the hotel for me, however, is the food. Room service is good, but the restaurant is limited and uninspiring. I am not sure what they are aiming for, but it is a miss for me. It is quite expensive but breakfast was very limited, and both lunch and dinner are very pedestrian. This lets the hotel down and I typically will eat out. Shame because otherwise it is first class.

Room Tip: The Waldorf Suites are lovely - try for an upgrade if you don't want to shell out.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Caroline S
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Caroline S,

Thank you so much for staying with us again at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. Your loyalty is highly valued and appreciated. I am pleased to read that you enjoy the hotel’s location and the various rooms you have stayed in, especially the Waldorf Suite and the amenities it has to offer. I regret to read that you have had problems with our lighting system. Please do not hesitate to ask our team for any assistance when you visit with us again. We wouldn't like for you not to enjoy your stay due to this component of our rooms. Thank you for your feedback with regard to our restaurant. Our Food and Beverage team is making some fantastic adjustments that will result in a very exciting menu. We will look forward to welcoming you back should your travels bring you back our way soon.

Lake Bluff, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

Wow! The staff doesn't accept tips..but they deserve it! They anticipated our needs (asked if they could make up the sofa beds for my kids while we were away at dinner) and came quickly (and without complaint) to fix the TV in the middle of the night. One of the most beautiful places I've stayed at. The tile work is breathtaking. Accommodated several requests perfectly. Worth the money.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

1 Thank skimom45
Dear skimom45,

Thank you so much for sharing your candid feedback of your most recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. I am truly pleased to read that you enjoyed your suite, the hotel’s décor and our no tipping policy. I apologize for the inconvenience caused by the television not working. We truly appreciate your patience. Thank you so much for recommending our hotel. Your patronage and loyalty are highly valued. We will look forward to welcoming you and your family back, hopefully in the not far future.

Chicago, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

I've stayed at many places, and the Waldorf in Chicago is the absolute best. The service is amazing, and the rooms are top notch. I saw a wedding party stay here, and I saw a separate someone propose on the property. That should saw it all. Just a wonderful place.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

1 Thank Quin C
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Dear Quin C,

Thank you so much for your review of your most recent visit with us. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your suite and that our service quality did not disappoint. Your patronage is highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to serving you and your friends again should your travels bring you back our way.