“Truly Amazing”

Ranked #15 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Boston, Ma
“Truly Amazing”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed at the Waldorf Astoria in Chicago over the weekend for a friend's wedding. I can not praise the accomodations, staff, and vibe of the WA enough. The rooms were spacious, well appointed, and comftorable. I fell in love with the bed, and was quite tempted to steal it and bring it back to Boston with me, but alas it would not fit in my carry-on! The bathrooms are laid out well, and the shower pressure is great. The Ferragamo toiletries were a very nice touch as well. The gym is top notch for a hotel, and definitely make a point to visit the wet mentholyptus steam room after a good run. The bar on level 3 is reminicent of a 1950's speak easy, with some tasty gin concoctions. (Gin and egg whites, who would have known!) In the morning definitely spring for some crepes with homemade nutella. I do not think we have reason to ever stay at a different hotel when in Chicago. I highly reccomend the WA Chicago.

2 Thank Connor O
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Carter O,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback of your most recent visit with us. It gives me great pleasure to read that you found comfort in your suite, and that you enjoyed the unique little details of your room, especially the TV in the mirror and your bed. I am truly happy to read that you were able to get a great night sleep and that you were also able to found some relaxation in our Elysian Spa and Health Club and some exciting concoctions in our cozy boîte Bernard’s. Thank you for recommending our hotel. Your loyalty is highly valued. We will look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the not far future!

Richard R. Evanich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Nashville
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My mother and I spent five days last week at this property and it lived up to my expectations. The suite was large, comfortable and very clean. We used both the car service and the spa, and found them to be first-rate. Extra touches, such as bottled water at turn down each night, and often when we left the hotel, were appreciated. And you can't beat the hotel's proximity to Gold Coast shopping -- Barney's is only one-half block away. There were a few minor negatives: we were unable to check-in early, as we had requested; I had asked that a coffee maker be placed in our room prior to arrival (it wasn't there but was VERY quickly brought when I made a second request); the morning paper that I had been offered never materialized on even a single morning during the duration of our stay; and the shower drain in our room was lacking, leaving us standing in a pool of water while using it - not pleasant. That said, these were all minor annoyances and I would return to this lovely hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Cardsgal
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Cardsgal,

Thank you for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago for your mother & daughter five day getaway in the Windy City. It gives me great pleasure to read that the hotel did not fail living up to your expectations. I regret to read, however, about the series of inconveniences you encountered throughout your visit, especially with regard to the morning paper you didn't receive, the coffee maker you needed to request more than once and the problem with the drain in your bathroom. I have shared your notes with the Director of Housekeeping and the Director of Guest Services for internal review and immediate action.
Thank you for your positive comments pertaining to your suite, our House Car service and our Elysian Spa and Health Club. I am delighted to read that you will give us another opportunity to serve you sometime in the near future. We will look forward to welcoming you back.

Chicago, United States
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Excellent in all ways. The only negative comes from the wife. "We did not receive turn down service." Which we usually get with. Not a deal breaker for me. This hotel is exactly what you would expect and more. Perfect location and a driver to drop you off wherever you want within a 2mile radius. Great stay.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

3 Thank Donald G
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Donald G,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback from your most recent visit with us. I sincerely regret to learn that we failed to offer turn down service to your suite. I have shared your concerns with our Director of Housekeeping for further internal review. I am delighted, however, to read that the rest of your stay exceeded your expectations, and that you enjoyed the hotel’s location and our House Car service. Please extend my sincere apologies to your wife. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to properly serve you in the near future.

Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Having Stayed at the New York Waldorf a fe times I new I was in for a quality experience ,I must say that the Chicago property was in a class by itself,the Staff ,the Rooms ,the Spa. Amazing!!!Given the opportunity I would stay there in a heartbeat.I've been a professional Chef for many years and this Waldorf world class .Bravo.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Ron P
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Ron P,

Thank you so much for giving the Waldorf Astoria in Chicago the opportunity to serve you. Your kind words pertaining to our service team are truly rewarding. I am truly delighted to read that you enjoyed all of the important components of your stay, especially your room, our Elysian Spa & Health Club and our service standards. I hope you also had the opportunity to taste the delightful culinary creations of Chef Herve and his team in our restaurant Balsan. We are excited to read that you will stay with us again in the future. Your loyalty is valued and appreciated. We will look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully soon.

Prophetstown, Illinois
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We live a couple of hours from Chicago and count the city as our hometown. We have stayed in the city many times and have enjoyed many fine hotel stays. The Waldorf Astoria was far exceptional to any of our other stays in the city. The staff is well trained and the most polite we have every encountered in Chicago. When the first attendant declined our tip we were impressed and did not offer to tip again. They went out of their way to make us feel welcome and accommodate us. My husband enjoyed conversing with the concierge that sent us a welcoming email the week before. He arranged dinner reservations for us, with the best table in the restaurant, when my husband discovered they were booked at the time he wanted. Their courtesy car was available for both nights for dinner. It was not always accessible but available when we wanted it for dinner. We had never taken our bikes to Chicago and felt a little silly deciding to do so. They stored them in a room right off of the courtyard, pointed us in the direction of the lake shore bike path and we spent several hours enjoying this side of city life. Their locker facilities and lap pool are very nice. The aromatherapy steam room is one of the freshest I have been in. We accumulate quite a few Hilton points and stayed both nights for the price of parking. They still treated us like an honored guest and that is a tribute to a good hotel. We look forward to staying with them in the future and will make the hotel a base for our visits to Chicago.

1 Thank foreveronward
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear foreveronward,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your most recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. It gives me great pleasure to read that all of the team members you encountered graciously and efficiently assisted you throughout your visit. Thank you for your very kind words pertaining to our quality of service. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our no tipping policy and the various amenities the hotel has to offer, especially our personal Concierge, our House Car service and our Elysian Spa and Health Club. We are excited to read that you and your husband will be visiting with us again. We will certainly be looking forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

Orange County, California
Reviewed September 7, 2013

A beautiful hotel nestled away from all the craziness. The staff was amazingly friendly and I appreciated that everyone was capable of doing everything. It wasn't set where you check in with the check in staff, have to find the service staff for service help, etc. The guy up front even took my bags up to the room... And it was refreshing that they refuse to take tips as if they are wanting to offer the best service possible rather than service for tips.

I loved the car service that was provided as it helped a lot when it was cold, although I wished it ran longer into the night.

Overall, a great experience at this hotel, and I can't think of anywhere else I would rather stay when going back to Chicago.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank raycifer
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear raycifer,

Thank you so much for sharing your candid feedback of your most recent visit with us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our no tipping policy and our House Car service throughout your stay. Thank you for your kind remarks pertaining to our service team. I will certainly share your comments with the entire team for I know it will be equally rewarding form them to learn of your acknowledgement of their efforts to meet the guests’ needs. Your loyalty is highly valued. We will look forward to welcoming you and your travel companion back, hopefully in the very near future.

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We've stayed in other Waldorf properties before and have generally been satisfied both with the value and quality of the experience. This is a converted property (formerly the Elysium) that Waldorf has run for the past couple of years. It has received numerous rewards (including 2013 Traveler's Choice Award and 2012 Travel+Leisure Large City Hotel), but given what I paid and Waldorf's reputation I wasn't overly impressed.

Perhaps the best thing about the Waldorf is the private courtyard entrance as it takes the stress out of checking in right away. Staff was welcoming and efficient in getting us checked in and up to our room. The usual Waldorf amenities including such things as free shoe shines and a daily paper were appreciated.

They boast "stunning interiors" but I found them to be bland bordering on boring/depressing. (Grey with an occasional splash of color or large art installation is not necessarily stunning.)

We took a suite for about $550/night and while it was nice, it wasn't fantastic. There were telltale nicks and dents in the walls and some of the furnishings, some of the bathroom fixtures were loose (maintenance fixed most of them at our request) and I ended up balancing up on the toilet to clean plainly visible black cobwebs out of the vents. The furnishings were more to be seen than used and the their arrangement was lacking -- dining table pushed in a corner and living room furnishings off-center from the fireplace and television. The only real comfortable chair in the whole suite was the armchair on the outside terrace.

This facility is non-gratuity, which is a bit refreshing, but quite frankly I would've traded spreading around some tips in exchange for a little more attention to detail in the rooms and overall facility.

Room Tip: Choose one of the suites for the extra room, terrace and views.