“A luxurious hotel with a perfect location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Chicago

Waldorf Astoria Chicago
Ranked #7 of 185 Hotels in Chicago
Saint Louis, Missouri
“A luxurious hotel with a perfect location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

The staff is very attentive and the hotel is truly beautiful. The location is very quiet and near high end shopping. The only "bad thing" is that it does not have a view of the lake, but that is the price to be paid for being a little off the beaten path...but to us it was well worth it! We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

4 Thank Greg D
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Greg D,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the hotel’s décor, ambiance and location. I am sorry that the view from your suite was not what you expected. Some of our suites facing the east and in higher floors may have nicer views. Please do not hesitate to express your interest in a better view next time you make a reservation. We truly value and appreciate your loyalty and will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you when your travels bring you back into Chicago.

Richard R. Evanich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Korean first
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was my first time at a Waldorf=Astoria hotel, and while I had heard bad things about the NY location and how it's aged, this hotel was wonderful. The location is absolutely ideal, as I found myself repeatedly only a short walk from wherever I wanted to go in the city (or, if need be, a short walk away from the subway). The property itself is tucked away a bit on its own block, but it has a gorgeous entrance and a comfortable footprint.

The hotel was nice enough, on a very busy weekend, to upgrade me on a stay where I had one night in a Waldorf suite and one night in their base-level room with two queens. The suite itself was very comfortable, with a nice sitting area and a couple of very large TVs. There was even a third TV in the mammoth bathroom, which had a big soaking tub and one of the largest showers I've ever been in at a hotel.

What really impressed me more than anything, though, was the consistently high level of service. At every level and at every opportunity, I was treated with the utmost respect and care during my stay here by each staff member I dealt with. The bellman wouldn't even accept a tip when he packed the bags into a taxi for the flight home. It was really five-star quality, and reminded me of the best hotels I've stayed at overseas. I would absolutely stay here again if I had the chance.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank latrell1
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear latrell1,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your candid feedback on TripAdvisor and for giving us an opportunity to serve you. I am delighted to read that you found comfort in your suite and that you found the hotel’s location convenient. Thank you for your kind comments pertaining to our level of service. Comments like your inspire our continued pursuit of excellence in everything we do. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you should your travels bring you back our way.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We first stayed here a couple of years ago when it was the Elysian. It is still an excellent hotel now that it is under the Hilton umbrella. I wish more hotels would adopt a no tipping policy. My husband did not realize that it was the policy and the bellman graciously did not accept the gratuity offered. The entire hotel is gorgeous and immaculate. The layout is nice without long corridors which I believe reduces hallway noise. We had one minor glitch. Some chocolate covered strawberries I pre-ordered did not get delivered but they handled the misstep beautifully--apologized and the gentlemen at the front desk gave us a business card to contact him on our next stay, and he would take care of upgrading our room. I also had a spa treatment and it was also a wonderful experience.

Can't wait to return!

4 Thank lundahl
Dear lundahl,

Thank you so much for visiting us again at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. It gives me true pleasure to read that you enjoyed the hotel just as much you enjoyed it during the Elysian times. The entire team has made great efforts to make this transition as smooth as possible for our guests. I am delighted to read you enjoyed our no tipping policy. Just like the Elysian, as a Waldorf Astoria, we believe in serving without any expectations of receiving anything in return, except our guests’ desire to stay with us again. I am terribly sorry to learn about your missing amenity. I am glad, however, to read that one of our Guest Services managers graciously handled our mistake and will personally assist you on your next visit. Your loyalty is highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the not far future.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The Waldorf does something that so many of the upmarket 'chains' in North America don't, recognizing loyalty even for people who travel a lot matters. So when we check in and get upgraded on my husbands zillion points it makes us feel pretty good. The six of us did not have to squash together in just two rooms but had two suites! As we were staying for 6 nights that was nice, and I wonder how they can do that. We stay at a lot of hotels, very seldom do you get anything for free.... They even have wifi at no charge, and I don't mean the super slow but reasonable speed! I can live with a lot of the added irritating things, because this is a city hotel, if I don't like the huge charge for b'fast I can go outside for it and so on! Room service has a lot of nice looking people working.... Just thought I mention that, doesn't matter at all but they were very good looking and very nice :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank fabfourNJ
Dear fabfourNJ,

Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that we were able to offer you and your family an upgrade, but most importantly, I am happy to read that you all enjoyed your suites and the change of rooms made your stay more comfortable. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you and your family should your travels bring you back our way.

Bloomington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The Waldorf is one of the best hotels in Chicago. The rooms are large, modern and lovely. There is plenty of room to spread out. Bathrooms are huge! The service is impeccable. Arrival and departure is low hassle since you drive into an off street courtyard.

Room Tip: The Waldorf suite is large and beautiful, less expensive than the Astoriavsuite.
3 Thank Susan N
Dear Susan N,

Thank you for your review of your most recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your suite and its various amenities and the privacy of our courtyard. We truly appreciate your patronage and will look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully soon.

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed here in during the Christmas week of 2012 during a some what slower period for the hotel and found the hotel to be perfect for our needs. Waldorf Astoria is perfect for those wanting to be in prime place for shopping in multiple areas of Chicago. Close to Michigan Avenue and the shops on Oak, Walton and Rush Streets.

Service was excellent during our stay. Our room, a Gold Coast suite, was more than enough room for myself, pregnant wife and daughter. Having a fire place to sit in front in the room of after a day of walking around shopping in the cold was a definite perk. My one recommendation about this hotel is that if you're seeking one with a view in Chicago, this hotel really won't meet your needs.

The spa, gym and pool facility was wonderful. The pool is mostly for laps but we found no issue using for when our daughter wanted to go for a swim.

As others have mentioned, there's not a normal "hotel lobby scene" here as there is no bar or gathering area (other than a space with a few couches near a warming fire). Pulling up to the hotel is much better than other hotels in Chicago as there is a nice private courtyard when you pull in.

The area surrounding the hotel has a vast array of restaurants to suit all tastes. My favorite was the Pizano's pizza right around the corner. There is a small grocery store also around the corner, Potash Markets I believe, that will meet anyone's needs.

If I had to choose between the Trump and Waldorf Astoria, for views and bar scene (also with wonderful views), I'm going with the Trump. But for ease of access to all of the best shopping of Chicago, I'd have to go with the Waldorf Astoria. The Waldorf Astoria is a is perfect for escaping the hustle of Chicago just outside it's doors.

Room Tip: You're not going to have much of a view from any room but rooms facing towards the west do no ha...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank livingfortravel1
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear livingfortravel1,

Thank you for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during your visit to the Windy City last year’s Christmas week. We know it’s a special time of the year and we are excited to learn that you gave us an opportunity to make this busy holiday time in the city a little more serene for you and your family. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the hotel’s location and the various amenities our rooms and our hotel have to offer, especially the fireplace in your suite, our Elysian Spa & Health Club and the privacy of the hotel’s courtyard. I regret to learn that the view from your suite was not enjoyable. Some of the highest floors in our hotel facing the east offer a more enjoyable view. Do not hesitate to express your interest in a higher floor on your next visit. We will look forward to welcoming you and your family back during the next holiday season or hopefully sooner than that.

Haverhill, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

They gave us an upgrade when we arrived. We were not expecting a suite. This is a best hotel ever. The room, the staff, and the service were first class. This hotel has a very nice spa area as well. This hotel has European style service. The location was great.

2 Thank annesav
Dear annesav,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am delighted to learn that we were able to offer you an upgrade, but most importantly, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your suite. I truly appreciate your kind comments pertaining to our service team. Comments like yours inspire us to continue to strive for excellence in everything we do. We will look forward to serving you again, hopefully in the not far future.