“Just amazing”

Ranked #15 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Sydney
“Just amazing”
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Just like very other review, WHOA, I might even say this is the best hotel we have stayed in, the service was excellent (and the no tip policy is fantastic for someone unfamiliar with the US tipping system), the rooms were brilliant, we were upgraded to a suite and the size was similar to a small unit!

I think any hotel can have a 5star standard of rooms, but what makes this stand out was the seamless service it provided, that's what makes this hotel stand out as one of the best hotels, and without doubt the one I would stay at in Chicago.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank neiljrodgers
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear neiljrodgers,

Thank you so much for your review of our recent stay with us and for your kind words pertaining to our service team and the quality of our rooms. I am delighted to read that we were able to offer you an upgrade, but most importantly, that you enjoyed your suite and our no tipping policy. It is our service philosophy to serve without expecting anything in return, except our guests’ desire to visit with us again. I will certainly share your kind comments with the entire staff as I know they will be equally pleased to learn of your recognition of their efforts to meet our guests’ needs and exceed their expectations. Your patronage and loyalty are highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to welcoming back soon.

Richard R. Evanich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Wichita, United States
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Everything was perfect-we'd arranged for a suite and got upgraded to a bigger suite at check in. Nice! The room was large and everything appeared brand new. The spa and workout room are really nice, too. The location is perfect, easy to negotiate/walk the Mag Mile/Gold Coast/RiverNorth areas. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

3 Thank Mark R
Dear Mark R,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor. It gives me great pleasure to read that we were able to offer you an upgrade and that you enjoyed your suite, our Elysian Spa and the hotel’s location. Thank you for recommending our hotel. Your patronage is highly valued. We will look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you back our way.

chicago, United States
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We started to staying at this hotel a few years ago when it was the Elysian. We have stayed at luxury hotels all over the world and this one of the best! Can not beat the amenities or the location. Not to mention the service!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

4 Thank Tina J
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Tina J,

Thank you for sharing your review of your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor and for visiting with us again. I am thrilled to read that you enjoy the hotel’s amenities, our service standards and location. Your loyalty is highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to serving you again, hopefully sometime in the near future.

La Quinta, United States
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I cannot say anything but wonderful things about my expericence at the Waldorf Astoria in Chicago! I cannot recommend one single thing that I recommend doing any better! I highly recommend staying at this hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

2 Thank Sandra Y
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Sandra Y,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive feedback of your most recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. It gives me great pleasure to learn that you had a memorable experience. I will certainly share your kind remarks with the entire team, for comments like yours inspire our continued pursuit of excellence in everything we do. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you when your travels bring you back to Chicago, hopefully in the not far future.

Buckinghamshire UK
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Although we enjoyed our stay, I have to say that I am a bit puzzled by the rave reviews given by so many people on this site for this hotel.

It is a good city hotel that is well located (especially if you like high end shopping), but in our family's experience it doesn't justify the rhapsodic comments of so many posters here.

To me it is like many other "luxury" hotels in major cities - generally good in its services and location, but lacking warmth and personal attention to detail. After reading the glowing reviews of this hotel since it opened (as the Elysian several years ago) we felt a tad disappointed and surprised.

Strengths: Generally spacious accommodation (we took 2 suites - I can't comment on standard rooms) that is well maintained.
A no tipping policy (they just add service charge to the bill) which I really liked.
Excellent breakfast and service in the restaurant.The staff remembered all our drinks preferences from one morning to the next and were really obliging and kind.
Very helpful doctor (Doctor K) who I had to consult about a relatively minor issue while there (arranged via their concierge).

Weaknesses: My main gripe would be a certain sterile feel to the hotel and - other than the restaurant staff - I didn't feel the employees cared that much. I know the hotel is now managed by the Hilton Group and I think one is starting to see the effect of that huge corporate machine on service standards.
For example: Often no staff out front, leaving you to find your own cab etc.
At check in, I had to prompt to ask whether there was free WiFi in the hotel, what time breakfast was served until etc.
At check out the receptionist was pretty curt. She did her job perfectly OK, but there were none of the niceties, no "did you enjoy your stay?" sort of chat. Just swipe the card and goodbye!

There are only 2 lifts to serve a very tall building!

The lobby has a small footprint (however I accept this is the case with many other city hotels).

Anyway, I would give this a 4 on this website: it's good by any standard but not extraordinary or exceptional.
Frankly if I returned to Chicago (which I'd like to) I would definitely try elsewhere next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank TM99
Dear TM99,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback of your most recent visit with us. It gives me great pleasure to read that you found comfort in your suite and that you enjoyed the service and the various culinary creations and libations of our restaurant Balsan. I am also delighted to read that our concierge team efficiently assisted you during your visit. On the other hand, I am terribly disappointed and concerned about the various inconveniences your experienced throughout your stay, especially with regard to the lack of service at the door, the absence of warmth of our Front Desk team and your waiting time for the elevator. I have brought all your concerns to the attention of our Director of Guests Services for internal review. I truly hope that you consider giving us a second opportunity to serve you, for we would love to provide you and your family with the real memorable time you should have enjoyed.

lewiston, United States
Reviewed July 22, 2013

excellent place to stay. not sure of the cost,but well worth it. great location, real close to all the shopping and gibson's steak house. Definitely go to the Red Hat Piano Bar. We closed down the hotel bar, one night. Rooms were close to perfect.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

3 Thank Bob B
Dear Bob B,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience of your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed the hotel’s location, your suite and our cozy boîte Bernard’s. We will look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you back to Chicago either on business or pleasure.

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

One of the view city hotels I know that has fireplaces in their suites. The Waldorf also offers complimentary chauffeur drop off. Amazing spa and gym. Shopping, dining, sightseeing all right outside your door. You may not want to leave the hotel at all.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Sven P
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Sven P,

Thank you so much for sharing you candid feedback of your most recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. It gives me great pleasure to read that you enjoyed the fireplace in your suite, our house car service and our Elysian Spa; and that you found the hotel’s location convenient. I am delighted to read that the comfort of the hotel invited you stay in to enjoy it. We certainly hope we made you feel right at home. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you when your travels bring you back our way.