“Simply the best accomodations in Chicago proper...but read the fine print”

Waldorf Astoria Chicago
Ranked #9 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed March 4, 2013

After careful consideration and numerous hours of investigative work, visa vie by phone and online, we chose to stay at the Waldorf Astoria for our family vaca last summer. Rarely does a hotel live up to the oft-times airbrushed photos one might find on the web, so I was more than a little surprised upon our arrival; with it's enchanting courtyard, albeit a tad small, incredibly generous staff, stylish yet monochromatic lobby and high-end accomodations, this hotel has few, if any, rivals in the region. Now this might not be the most family-friendly environment,(i.e. lap pool with "adult only" hours), but we, like many families, were there to see the sights, so this was certainly not a hindrance to the overall enjoyment of our stay. On a park & breakfast-type package, we were worried that a room upgrade from our confirmed suite to a larger one with a much-desired balcony would be out of the question, but this fear was quickly dispelled and an upgrade was graciously offered within a half-hour of our arrival. With a view of the Lake, multiple flat screens, a comfortable sofabed for the kids(dividing door), masssive spa-like bathroom and a friendly staff on the ready, what more could one ask for? The only blip on the radar came at the end of the stay when I realized that I had been misinformed about the extent of our package and was summarily overcharged for several items which I thought were covered by the aforementioned package; like many hotels, they offer a plethora of deals which left several members of the staff quite confused...and me with a larger than expected bill. Otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to make a return visit(with greater clarification beforehand) and/or recommend this hghly to family, friends and/or business acquaintances. Btw...ask about the somewhat "secretive" car service which they provide---great service especially considering their distance from many of Chicago's more sought after attractions.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Bryan P
WAChicago, Director of Hotel Services at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear Bryan P,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during your family vacation this past summer. It gives me great pleasure to read that we were able to offer you an upgrade and that you and your family enjoyed the various amenities of your suite and hotel, especially our house car service.

On the other hand, I am terribly sorry for the miscommunication pertaining to your hotel package.

If it is possible, I would like to speak to you directly to personally apologize and to discuss your concerns a little further. I can be contacted at kathryn.m.day@waldorfastoria.com, or alternatively, my direct number is (312) 646-1404.

I look forward to the opportunity to regain your faith in our ability to properly serve you.

Apologetically,

Kathryn Day
Director of Hotel Services

Reviewed March 4, 2013

We booked a suite for our 25th anniversary, not knowing what to expect. The service was impeccable (and included). The beds, linens, bath robes, toiletries, and soaking bath plus shower were all top notch, which created a luxurious and comfortable environment. The valet service with the car worked very well. The spa was lovely, although we did not partake of the services. The restaurant was also very nice. We enjoyed two delicious breakfasts there.

A couple of small negatives: the lighting system was hard to use and ultimately frustrating. The decor in the lobby was not that attractive and the overall design theme cold and modern. Rooms do not come with coffee and tea makers. And finally, we has a balcony ( which we did not use in February) but no view. Our room looked out on a parking garage and some retail businesses.

• Stayed: February 2013
7  Thank lmabal
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear Catherine A,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago to celebrate your 25th Anniversary and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you found comfort in your suite and that you enjoyed the different amenities the hotel and your room had to offer. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience the lighting system caused. I will certainly bring your concerns to our Director of Guest Room’s attention for further review. With regard to the coffee maker in your room, please do not hesitate next time you visit with us to request one as we have them available upon request. I am sorry if this wasn’t offered to you during your visit. We will look forward to our next opportunity to properly serve you, hopefully in the very near future.

Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed on the Amex Fine Hotels program. 3 for 2 nights, spa credit, breakfast and upgrade. Although a $400 a night hotel, thought it was a great value. The facilities are excellent as is the service. Walkable to many Chicago highlights. Absolutely do it again.

• Stayed: March 2013
10  Thank D0c
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear D0c,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am thrilled to learn that you were able to enjoy the great perks that the American Express Fine Hotels program has to offer. We truly appreciate and value your patronage. We can’t wait to our next opportunity to serve you!

Reviewed March 1, 2013

The service and staff at the Waldorf surpasses that of other hotels in the northern Michigan Ave. area. We've stayed in most of them. Boutique ambience with 5 star service. Well appointed rooms
With great hotel location. All staff from bell stand through concierge are excellent. The concierge help us obtain play tickets that we had trouble doing on our own. A no tip policy was very welcomed. We travel to Chicago often and this is where we'll stay. Only suggestion is to keep lounge open later than 11:00. This unique lounge with special liquors is a find. The whole experience is well worth the cost.

Room Tip: No rooms with great views. But service and location more than negate this. All rooms quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank travelbugCincinnati

Dear travelbugCincinnati,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during your last visit to the Windy City. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed the ambiance and décor of the rooms and hotel and that you found the hotel’s location convenient. I appreciate your suggestions regarding our bar Bernard’s. I will bring them to our Director of Food and Beverage’s attention. Your loyalty is highly valued! We will look forward to welcoming you and your travel companion back in the very near future!

Reviewed February 28, 2013

This is the place to be! We were here for 4 nights (Feb 20 - 24) after a 4 night stint in NYC. The name is synonymous with elegance and prestige. I booked a suite and was really impressed with what we got! The room is very well appointed with two flat screen tv's, a fireplace, a big size bathroom with tub and lots of closet space. Hidden under the wet bar is a fridge and microwave oven. The bed were very comfortable even their pull out coach. The staff also exemplify excellence and are truly Ambassadors to their brand. They are there to serve and pamper you and treat you like royalty. In fact I will be writing their Management to inform them of how impressed I was of their property and staff. I booked this hotel to pamper my family and it did not disappoint, worth every penny. If you want something extra ordinarily special and not afraid to spend a little bit more...then the Waldorf Astoria is the place to be.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank EDO100
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Dear EDO100,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor. We truly value and appreciate your appraisal of our team’s performance and the comfort of our suites. It gives me great pleasure to read that the team was able to pamper you and your family during this special visit and that we were able to meet your expectations. Thank you for recommending our hotel. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you!

Reviewed February 28, 2013

We truly enjoyed our stay. The location was perfect and the staff was superb. We actually felt like we could have lived her as the room was spacious and wonderfully decorated. We travel quite frequently this was definitely one of our top five stays!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Helenv1

Dear Helenv1,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am delighted to read that you found comfort in your room and that you found its décor enjoyable and the hotel’s location convenient. Thank you for choosing the Waldorf as your hotel of stay during this one visit into the Windy City. Your patronage is appreciated. We will look forward to hopefully becoming your number #1 stay on your top five list.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I travel much of the year and booked this hotel with reward points to celebrate an anniversary as it would normally be well outside my price range. Prior to arrival, I spoke with several staff members regarding special requests and the scheduling of spa services for my spouse. Each of them were very skilled at making me feel comfortable with my choice of this hotel. After arrival, The entire weekend went off without a hitch. I felt like we were swept into accomodations through check-in. The spa services were as advertised, our privicy was respected, and every recommedation for dining and entertainment from the staff was spot on. It was the perfect place to enjoy an anniversary without distraction.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank George S
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear George S,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago to celebrate your anniversary. I am truly pleased to read that the team was able to make your special occasion extra special. Thank you for your kind remarks regarding the efficiency of our staff. It is truly an inspiration to our continuous pursuit of excellence in everything we do. It was an absolute pleasure to serve you and your spouse during this special weekend. We will look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the very near future!