“Best Hotel in Chicago” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Delaware
“Best Hotel in Chicago”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I LOVE this hotel! The decor is a beautifully done Art Deco, the service is incredible, and the location can't be beat. The rooms are amazing in size, amenities and sound proofing. The bar has an eclectic mix of cocktails made with the highest quality alcohol in addition to a great wine list. The bartenders are out of this world, it is a great place for before dinner drinks. I don't love the restaurant, I think that is the one area that could use improvement. It is fine for breakfast or lunch but I would not choose it for dinner when there are so many better options in Chicago. They have working fireplaces in every room and the best hotel bed I have ever slept in. I will use any excuse to go to Chicago and stay in this hotel. The spa is also beautifully done with a nice array of services and a well trained staff. The gym is huge and fully equipped offering classes that guests can sign up for daily. You must try this hotel, it is by far my favorite in the country.

Room Tip: The suites are worth the few extra dollars.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank keldes
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear keldes,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. I am truly pleased to read that you enjoyed the hotel’s décor, the size and comfort of our suites, and our fantastic libations in our cozy boite, Bernard’s. Your feedback regarding our restaurant Balsan is also appreciated. I will certainly share your concerns with our Executive Chef and his culinary team.

I am also glad that you were able to enjoy our Elysian Spa and Health Club. I hope you had the opportunity to pamper yourself with some the fantastic treatments it has to offer. Thank you for recommending your experience. We will look forward to welcoming you back when your travels next bring you to Chicago, either on business or pleasure!

Richard R. Evanich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband and I came her for valentine's day(Febuary 14, 2013), which is very special to us, since he proposed to me on this day just 2 1/2 years ago. We felt very welcomed by this hotel the moment we arrived, we were greeted properly by the bellman, our luggage was taken immediately from the cab and brought to our suite. They gave us an room upgrade for a nice little price, we simply loved the suite, and didn't want to leave for our dinner reservation's. The suite was decorated beautifully, very huge, plenty of space, with wonderful amenties, fit for a special occasion like we were celebrating. We had so much space in every room of the suite. Yes people, I said more than two rooms, the tub was great for two for romancing, lights dimmed on their own, and it was a TV on one of the mirror's in the master bathroom to spend extra time in the tub. We really loved that, so much technology in our suite, a fireplace that could warm the whole suite by itself, or you could use the controlled heat from the wall. Point is, that you had alot of options, the bed was very relaxing, shower felt great the next day when we used it(good water pressure) and two people can easy fit in it too(huge). I loved the full body mirror in the bedroom too(it came in handy for me, lol). We had plenty of closet space and drawer space, even if we did only stay for one day. Now , they had a car service here , but you had to be the first one down stairs already to use it(first come first serve). However, I thought you could make reservation's once you got to hotel, but we were told differently by Edward at the concierge desk, which was my only down fall, but he did get us a cab to go to RUTH CHRIS for our dinner reservation's. He also made up for it when he set up the room with my husband's last surprise I had for him, they were gracious to keep his ice cream cake in the hotel refrigerator until we returned back from dinner. Then they took it to the suite, arranged the rose petals in a heart shape on the bed, along with a stuff animal I had for my husband, so they did a beautiful job. It made myself happy as well as put a big smile on my husband's face. My husband really loved this hotel and even said we will be coming back, but for more days next time. Later we went to the fitness, whirlpool, and pool area of hotel, they gave us a nice tour(a female attendant) she was so nice and pleasant. I enjoyed talking with her, even the receptionist at the front desk was very kind upon our arrival and checking out. We had smiles, friendly greetings, and good service by everyone at this hotel, even from the other guests. We should have stayed here for my birthday recently, so TAKE NOTES: FOUR SEASON'S from a hotel with such class and style!!!

Room Tip: Suite 704 is really nice.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank KLS13_10
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear KLS13_10,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay to celebrate such a special occasion besides Valentine’s Day. I am truly delighted to read that the team was able to make you feel welcome and that we were able to make your special day a little more memorable. I am sorry about the miscommunication concerning our House Car service. It is indeed available at a first come first serve basis. I apologize for not having communicated this to you correctly. I am glad, however, to read that our Concierge team was able to assist with a taxi so you would make your dinner reservations on time and with your planned surprise for your spouse. Your patronage is highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to our next opportunity to customize another memorable day for you!

michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I booked a one night stay fit a quick weekend getaway. My gold status got us a huge upgrade to a 2 room suite that was perfect. Fireplace, sound system ,bar and 400 sq ft bathroom all perfect. The staff was on the ball and ready to handle anything at anytime. No one would accept tips for their exceptional service. The best hotel in Chicago.

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank dharma42
Dear dharma42,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your quick weekend getaway and for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that we were able to upgrade you to one of our suites, which I am glad you enjoyed, and that our service team was able to efficiently assist you throughout your visit. We will look forward to customize your future stay when your travels next bring you to Chicago.

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I recently stayed at the Waldrof for a 30th birthday in Chicago and I must say this Hotel is world class. Really enjoyed all the facilities the spa atmosphere was great and the staff was super friendly. The room service selection is a lacking slightly for variety but other than that great accommodations! Would love to stay there again!

Room Tip: Views are great balcony probably not worth the extra money as it is way too windy to be on it.... ha...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jenn W
Dear Jenn W,

Thank you so much for celebrating such a special occasion at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am delighted to read that we were able to craft a memorable experience for you and your friends celebrating your 30th birthday. Your feedback regarding our In Room Dining Menu is appreciated. I will bring it to our Executive Chef’s attention for further review. Your patronage and loyalty are highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to welcoming you and your friends back in the very near future.

Indy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed for a long weekend at The Waldorf Astoria through Amex's Fine Hotels & Resorts program. With that program we got early check-in, late check-out, free breakfast, a $100 credit and an upgraded suite.

The hotel was in a great location. We loved that it was not right on Michigan; it was calm and peaceful, but within a short walk to everything. Each and every staff member we encountered was courteous and friendly. We stayed in an Astoria Suite, and it was gorgeous and HUGE. It was also really quiet. We couldn't hear anything from the street or other rooms. The bed was really comfortable, and the bathroom was big and well laid-out. The balcony and fireplace were great too.

My husband and I both really enjoyed the spa. I had an Elysian massage which was perfect. Go early to spend time in the sauna/jacuzzi/steam room. They have everything you need to get ready following your treatments, including Moroccan Oil hair products, blow dryers and hair straighteners. I loved the robe I wore in the spa so much that I had to buy one myself to take home!

We are breakfast both days at Balsan. It was pretty good, but really expensive. We spent $50+ at breakfast both mornings. (Three pancakes were $17.) Luckily we had free breakfast, so we didn't have to pay for it. We probably would have gone elsewhere if we had to pay.

We loved the no-tipping policy, personalized service and the quiet luxury we encountered at The Waldorf. We can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Astoria Suite was big and beautiful!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank courthorn
Dear courthorn ,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago for your long weekend getaway. I am pleased to read that you were able to enjoy the fantastic perks the Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts program has to offer.

Thank you for your kind remarks regarding our Elysian Spa, the beauty and comfort of our suites and our no tipping policy. We are thrilled to read that you would like to visit with us again. We truly value your loyalty and can’t wait to welcome you back, hopefully in the very near future.

Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I had never stayed at a Walforf Astoria before, and my experience during my trip to Chicago on January 2013 was EXCELLENT! This hotel deserves to be # 1 on tripadvisor. I can not tell how friendly, professional, and attentive the staff was. We stayed at one of the suites (we actually found a great deal). The room was beautiful, impecably clean, spacious, top of the line decor. I will definetely come back to Chicago and will not doubt to stay at Waldorf.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank love2travel0101
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear love2travel0101,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your first experience at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor. It gives me great pleasure to read that you enjoyed staying in one of our suites and you would like to visit with us again. Thank you for your sincere words with regard to our service team. Feedback like yours inspires our continuous pursuit of excellence in everything we do. We truly value your loyalty and can’t wait to welcome you and your travel companion back soon!

Birmingham, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent a wintery weekend here with 6 daughters. The rooms were impeccable - fancy, yet comfortable - the staff was extraordinary... best I have ever experienced - from the front desk staff, concierge, and spa staff. We had the "mini facials" and it was amazing. Catherine (from Ireland) is phenomenal, insightful and a delight. We will be back!

Room Tip: We had a king bed suite - had a fireplace and two chairs with cocktail table to relax in and offer a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JenGally
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear JenGally,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during your girl’s weekend and for your positive feedback concerning your visit. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your suite and that you were able to experience some of our Elysian Spa services. Thank you for your kind words with regard to Catherine. She is indeed a great asset to our Spa team. Your loyalty is highly valued and appreciated. We will look forward to serving you again, hopefully in the very near future!