“Fabulous, Fabulous, Fabulous”

Ranked #12 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Lenox, Massachusetts
“Fabulous, Fabulous, Fabulous”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

An amazing property. Great location in the heart of everything.
Every inch of the hotel is gorgeous. There are rich woods, beautiful marble, calm and quiet colors. The lobby is well organized.
Everything is sparkling clean. There isn't a cobweb or a grimey corner anywhere. Bathrooms in the public areas are well stocked and kept pristine. The room itself was spotless, every fixture looked freshly polished, there were no stains or odors or signs that anyone had ever used the room before me!
The room was magnificent, with a fireplace, a lovely terrace, two closets, a sitting room and a large bedroom with a desk big enough to really work. The internet connection was fast.
Furniture is comfortably upholsetered and there are good chairs for working at the desk and lounging. There is also a great sofa in front of the tv and a daybed.
The bed was large and comfortable, the linens snowy white and crisp. There were mounds of towels and plentiful lotions, shampoos and soaps. The bathroom was huge, with a private area for the commode, two sinks, a good size counter for makeup, a super soaking tub. The shower was as good as my wonderful bathroom at home, with strong water pressure and an unending supply of hot water.
The property and the room were topped only by the staff. Bellmen, front desk team, concierge, housekeeper, operator and business center -- every person was friendly, helpful, anticipating every need.
Room service was prompt, delivering one of the fluffiest, tastiest omelets I have ever enjoyed. Coffee was piping hot and robust.

Room Tip: room 1210 can't be beat
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank SEWscout
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear SEWscout,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us. I am truly delighted to read that you enjoyed the hotel’s location, your suite with all of its unique amenities, and our room service. I will certainly share with our chef and culinary team how much you enjoyed their omelets. Thank you for your kind remarks with regard to our service staff. Comments like yours inspire our continuous pursuit of excellence in everything we do. We can’t wait to our next opportunity to serve you when your travels next bring you to Chicago either on business or pleasure.

Richard R. Evanich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (355)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed at the Waldorf with my girlfriend in late October. The trip was planned for her birthday and we flew in for the night from Boston. We were very excited about the trip and the stay at the Waldorf given their stellar ratings and accolades as the #1 hotel in the US.

In sum, the hotel did not live up to expectations. While the property excelled in a number of experiences befitting of a top tier hotel, there is clearly work to be done in other areas.

We were traveling using the AMEX Fine Hotels and Resorts package which includes breakfast credit, room upgrade subject to availability, late checkout, and a spa credit. I am also a Hilton Gold member, which at this property entitled me to a couple of drink vouchers and free internet access (the latter is already included in the room rate).

The good:
- Fantastic and tasty al a carte breakfast, and warm efficient service.
- The hotel room was wonderful, large, and well thought out. The bed was good and had high quality sheets. The in-room fireplace made it very enjoyable to spend time in the room.
- The wine selection in the bar (Bernard's Bar) was fantastic and we thoroughly enjoyed our time lounging in the bar. The service was attentive and the server was very responsive in answering our questions about our wine choices.
- The gym and sauna are first rate. Very high quality fittings and equipment and we thoroughly enjoyed using the facilities.

The ugly:
- Upon arrival at the hotel, there was no bell hop in sight to help us with bags. At no point, did anyone offer assistance with our bags. This created a very poor first impression.
- The reception desk clerk who helped us with check in was either a little slow or poorly trained. He forgot to give us room keys, and we had to ask him to create them. He also told us we had a $100 spa credit when we actually had an $80 credit.
- We stopped at the casual restaurant, Balsan, for a mid-afternoon coffee and snack. The hostess (an African-American woman) was surly and indifferent when seating us. She sat us at a table which had what looked like a crushed bread roll all over the floor and one chair. Only upon mentioning that the floor was disgustingly dirty, did she move us, and without any apology and even worse, with some annoyance. Staff like this should be retrained or retrenched - they can singlehandedly ruin an entire stay.
- We attempted to use our spa credit in the morning, only to be told that the spa was just about sold out and my girlfriend could only have a choice of one treatment or a pedicure at one inconvenient time slot. This was appalling. If the property knows that the spa is typically fully booked on weekends, it would make sense to advise guests ahead of time (for instance, in the email we received from the hotel in the week leading up to our stay) or at check in at the latest.

My experience did not suggest this hotel provided value for money. It is possible that my expectations were high, but not undeservedly, given the hotel's accolades. I am unlikely to stay here again given the number of five-star hotel competitors in Chicago.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mnm_phl
WAChicago, Director of Hotel Services at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear mnm_phl,

Thank you for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago to celebrate your girlfriend's birthday and for your kind comments in regard to our breakfast menu in Balsan, your room, our bar Bernard’s, and our Elysian Spa.

However, I am terribly sorry for the inconsistencies in the quality of our service throughout your visit, especially in regard to the lack of assistance with your luggage at the time of arrival, the slow check in process, the incident in our restaurant Balsan and our Spa not being able to accommodate your request at a convenient time.

I would like the opportunity to personally speak to you and discuss what can be done to have you stay with us again in the future. I can be contacted at kathryn.m.day@waldorfastoria.com, or alternatively, my direct number is (312) 646-1404.

I look forward to the opportunity to regain your faith in our ability to properly serve you.

Apologetically,

Kathryn Day
Director of Hotel Services
Colleyville, Texas
Reviewed January 6, 2013

What a great choice in Chicago...excellent location, top notch service and comfortable accommodations!! My husband and I just spent New Year's week there and were extremely pleased! We had a problem with our "neighbors" the second night but the issue was quickly resolved by management. We will definitely return!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JanaLyons
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear JanaLyons,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am delighted to learn that you and your husband were pleased with your visit. I apologize for the inconvenience that our other guests caused. I am glad, however, that the team was able to solve the problem in a fast manner. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you and your travel companion, hopefully in the very near future!

Midwest
Reviewed January 6, 2013

If your goal is to stay at the highest-end, nicest, and most luxurius hotel in all of Chicago, as is always my travel goal, then the Waldorf is the right choice. I have stayed exclusively at the Peninsula, Ritz Carlton/Four Seasons, and the Four Seasons when I travel to Chi, and most reguarly at the Peninsula. 15 years ago, these aforementioned hotels were amazing- we spent the millenium, '01, & '02 New Year's at the Peninsula and loved it. But sadly, time has not been good to the Peninsula et al- they are all i n major need of total renovations- and we were looking for something newer & better, something amazing.I did not want 1990's luxury, I wanted 2013 luxury. I do not bargain shop,and when it comes to hotels I spare no expense even if will only make my stay 1% better, bc that it is worth it for my enjoyment. So my expectations are always high when I travel. I can be critical, but I am always honest.

I say love/hate but mostly love for the Waldorf Astoria bc while it is without a doubt the #1 nicest hotel in the city, it is NOT the nicest hotel I've ever stayed at and could stand to be improved upon in a few ways. We stayed from Friday-Monday & I would rate the stay at 90%. Judge for yourself below:

Pros

The hotel is gorgeous both inside and out, the architecture is very French and in some ways feels more like a stunning chateau than a large business hotel. It is not overly crowded or loud, very boutique-y & classy. The decor is stunning- kudos to whomever designed it. It has a fancy modern, sexy flare as opposed to the typical tired, pineapple/floral/patterned overly traditional decor you find in most luxury hotels. The Waldorf is clad in white marble, black velvet furniture, crystal chandeliers- it's truly something special. Smaller than the other luxury hotels in Chi, the Waldorf feels very exclusive. It has all the facilities/ammenities/luxuries of a larger hotel with none of the hassles. We were always able to get a nice table at either restuarant/bar in the Waldorf. I easily booked a spa appointment for a time most convenient for me (on a Saturday no less!), instead of having to get squeezed into an appointment or be turned away as I have been in larger hotels as they sometimes cant accomodate all their guests. We had zero anxiety about coming and going- no waiting for elevators or having to walk miles of hallway to rooms.

We checked in early. At noon! And our suite was ready. I requested upon check in a lower floor bc I prefer it and they accomodated me putting me on the 12th floor.

THEY DO NOT ACCEPT TIPS AT THIS HOTEL!!!! WE TRIED, THEY DECLINED. IT IS THE NEW STANDARD OF LUXURY!

SPA.
The spa was easy to find, get on the elevator, press SPA, elevator opens up to the SPA floor and you have arrived. Since it was so convenient, and not hidden away off in some random area of the hotel, I did not have to leave my room early to find it, I just went when my appt time came.

The spa was stunning and seemed newly renovated. The service was efficient and friendly. I noticed all of the refreshments were plentiful and fresh and the facility was immaculate, even though the spa was quite busy- even at the lovliest of hotels, a busy spa usually means a random used robe on the floor, wet floors, a dirty towel strewn about, a near empty refreshment table, etc. But here at the Waldorf spa, everything was in its place and perfect. The spa also sells lovely products that I enjoyed browsing, with great gift items to buy.

The massage was one of the best I have had. I had dinner plans afterward and asked the therapist to spare my hair, which she did. It was a hot lava stone treatment and was phenomenal. The treatment rooms were lovely and felt very clean and new as did the robes. I would say this spa was one of the best I've been to, and I have been to alot. I wish I had had time to enjoy more treatments but we had a full weekend, otherwise I would have spent an entire afternoon there at least.

ROOM.
The rooms are lovely. Decorated like the lobby with a modern, chic, sexy vibe. I LOVED THE DECOR-- the suites really felt like a super chic residence rather than a hotel room. The wet bar has discreetly hidden FREEZER WITH ICE!!!! A COLD FRIDGE THAT ACTUALLY HAS ROOM INSIDE AND A MICROWAVE!!!. We actually were able to put LARGE bottles of water and Vodka in the fridge and freezer which is usually unheard of in any hotel room. No having to get our own ice either.

We stayed in a one bedroom, 1.5 bathroom suite. The room had a large balcony with a great view. The balcony was useful to my husband who is a discreet cig smoker on occasion :) and quite liked stepping out and gazing at the view. The room had floor to ceiling windows and never felt small or claustrophobic. Infact, it felt more like a nice apartment than a hotel suite bc it was so spacious.

Housekeeping was phenomenal. Our room was cleaned while we were out to lunch and it felt DEEP CLEANED, not just a typical room service tidy. Housekeeping was top notch. I was impressed

The room had a beautiful, easy to use fire place. The fire turned off and on with the flip of a switch AND emmitted real warmth.

The TVs actually had decent channels like TLC, E!, etc.

Room service was QUICK. I mean breakfast delivered in 10 minutes quick!
Best coffee ever.

HOTEL.
The 2 bars in the hotel are beautiful, Balsan being my favorite. They have full dining at Balsan but we only went for drinks and dessert. The service was great and it was easy to get a nice table even at 10pm on Saturday night with a nice crowd already seated. Great music, great view, great vibe.

We rarely saw other patrons in the lobby/elevator. We really enjoyed the exclusive, quiet feel.
The courtesy car you have access to when you stay is a large Lexus SUV- A LOT nicer than Peninsula's mini cooper.

There is a Walgreens right across the street which I found very convenient.

CONS
Although I felt like this hotel was very clean, some things do need to be replaced. There are permenant stains on the lobby couches and in most of the hallway carpeting from normal wear and tear. In truth, they need to get rid of their room/hallway carpeting altogether- the room is decorated so nicely, carpeting really takes it down a notch, it seems a little cheap. Our hotel suite was decorated beautifully, even looked freshly painted, but you could tell the furniture was a bit worn as was the carpeting. We kept saying "they need to put hardwood floors in here". For a place that has such stunning style, replacing some of their items would really put them further above the competition. However, the condition of everything at the Waldorf is still better than the other luxury hotels in chi in my humble oppinion.

Room service menu left A LOT to be desired. We only ordered bfast bc we dined out the rest of the days, but the menu was quite limited and the food itself was just ok. The bfast menu for example, was lacking typical items like steak & eggs- my husband is low carb eater, and got tired of the bacon and sausage items. I ordered oatmel. It was steel cut which is a plus, BUT was always a bit watery (yes, I could use my microwave I guess)and was not served with any of the typical accoutrements ie brown sugar, butter, dried fruit as is customary with most oatmeal service.

The only still bottled water they service is Evian (barf!), thankfully I loaded up on Fiji across the street at Walgreens and the large in room fridge made up for it.

No one showed up to take our bags when we left to check out, we ended up carrying our own luggage.

The courtesy cars were only available 50% of the time we tried to use them.

The level of service was at about 90%, they could kick their game up a little and take more initiative.

The beds, although lovely to look at & linens a nice as can be, were GOD-AWFUL to sleep on. old/lumpy matresses. They need new beds and new pillows. And I have an appt with my chiropractor/massage therapist next week bc of these beds.

Room Tip: Go to Bavette's for dinner, best restaurant in Chicago.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ChloeLove
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear ChloeLove,

Thank you so much for posting your review of your recent stay with us. It gives me great pleasure to learn that you found comfort in your suite and our Elysian Spa. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the quality of the treatments and cleanliness in our Spa and our Housekeeping services. I will certainly share them with the rest of the team. I am also happy to read that you enjoyed the ambiance and sweet bites at our restaurant Balsan.

I regret, however, to learn that the rest of your stay did not live up to your expectations. Your concerns with regard to the furnishings in your suite, our In Room Dining menu and the lack of assistance with your luggage at the time of check out have been brought to the appropriate heads of department's attention.

We truly value your feedback, for comments like yours enable our continuous pursuit of excellence. Unfortunately, these valuable lessons have come at your expense. I hope your desire to join us again hasn’t been extinguished. I will look forward to the opportunity to regain your faith in our ability to properly serve you.

Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Our family has taken a trip annually after Christmas to Michigan Ave. vicinity of Chicago. We have stayed at a variety of hotels and this is by far the best. The rooms are spacious, well designed and have great views. The staff is courteous and do not need to be tipped. The concierge went out of their way to make sure we had the best tables at every restaurant we went to. There is a reason it has been ranked so highly by magazines. I am sure my family will be spending many Christmas at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank salescatwrangler
Dear salescatwrangler,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago and for choosing to stay with us on your annual Christmas trip to Chicago.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your room, especially its view and décor, and that the team was able to efficiently assist you throughout your visit.
We truly value your patronage and can’t wait to welcome you and family back next Christmas!

Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I love it that they are not resting on their (well deserved) laurels and are constantly working on the improving the experience for their guests. I stayed here last June and fell completely in love with it. New since my last visit is the personal concierge (a shout out to mine, Andrew F.) that contacts you before your visit for any necessary preparation. You get a fancy personalized folder at check-in and are escorted to your room.

I have stayed at plenty of 5 star hotels (many with a $1000 night rate for a standard room) and none have approached the look, feel, sound of the WA Chicago. There are plenty of hotels out there that look good on the surface, but when you look closer, it’s not so great. On the other hand, the WA Chicago is like the perfect little black dress, it is timeless. The bathroom is stunning. I just realized the faucets are Kallista (the “couture” line for Kohler.) The sleeper sofa is luxurious and comfortable to sit on (a rarity.) Every detail is understated, timeless, sophisticated perfection. I think for the quality, size, location, and service, this hotel is a great value even at the rack rate.

Reservations are already made for my 40th Birthday in April. I’m heartbroken that RIA is closed since I wanted to celebrate my birthday there. A loss for Chicago of an underappreciated 2 Michelin star hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank foodie007
Dear foodie007,

Thank you for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago again as your hotel of stay and for your positive feedback regarding your recent visit with us. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed again your suite, with its unique amenities and décor and that our team was able to efficiently assist throughout your stay. Thank you for your kind words with regard to Andrew. I will certainly share your remarks with the rest of the team.

RIA is indeed closed, but there are exciting new things to come. We will keep our guests informed.
We truly value your loyalty and can’t wait to welcome you and your family back to celebrate your special birthday in April.

Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Might be my favorite hotel in the US. Had a fantastic time on a mother/daughter weekend trip. Stayed in a suite that was comprised of two adjoining King rooms and it was HUGE! WE probably could had done with just one, considering each room had a queen sofabed. The service was impeccable. Had drinks at both of the hotel bars and they were fantastic... They make a VERY tasty French 75 upon request.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank saraemlem
Dear saraemlem,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago for your mother/daughter weekend getaway and for your positive feedback regarding your stay. I am delighted to learn that you both found comfort in your suite and that you enjoyed the different luscious libations from the bar in our restaurant Balsan and our bar Bernard’s. We will look forward to welcoming you and your mother back, hopefully very soon!