“Best in Chicago”

Ranked #15 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
“Best in Chicago”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I stayed for a weekend at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I recently stayed at the Waldorf Astoria Orlando, which I was disappointed with service and décor, however I decided to stay in the hotel in Chicago as it has been ranked as top in the country.

The lobby is modern and the décor is beautiful, the fireplace is very welcoming and makes you feel like at home. I had a luxury suite, which is spectacular. I was able to check in earlier, which was perfect. The room was very spacious and separated in a living room area with fireplace, love this feature as it is feels like being at home. The bedroom was nice and very comfortable. The bathroom was great, very relaxing.

The only "negative" was that I was in the 7th floor and the views were to the parking garage. Chicago has amazing views and really hope for a room with city views, especially having a suite, so it was disappointing, but the room compensated for this.

We visited the spa and pool. The staff in the spa were extremely nice and the Waldorf Astoria has one of the best spas. We didn't have any treatment, however we enjoyed the pool, gym, sauna and Jacuzzi. Amazing experience.

The location was perfect and close to great shopping. I have stayed in other hotels in Chicago and the Waldorf Astoria is the best.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Josep G
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear Josep G,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your suite, with all of its unique amenities, the Elysian Spa and Fitness Club and the hotel’s location. I am sorry that the view in your room was disappointing. We will look forward to welcoming you and your friends back in the very near future so you can enjoy a nicer view in a higher floor and perhaps try one of our Spa treatments. They are one-of-a-kind.

Tel: (312) 646-1300

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
abu dhabi
Reviewed December 19, 2012

now this is what you call a hotel. impeccable service, great location, amazing food and luxury at its finest. the rooms are massive and the amenities are delightful. my wife and i felt like we were back to our honeymoon as this hotel provides you a mini-getaway within a very busy city whilst being bang in the centre of it. highly highly recommended if your wallet can handle it

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gaurav797
Dear gaurav797,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am delighted to learn that you found our hotel rooms and the food in our restaurant Balsan enjoyable and the hotel’s location convenient. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you and hopefully bring back fantastic memories again for you and your wife!

Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Reviewed December 16, 2012

My husband, two children and I just spent our annual Christmas weekend in Chicago. We chose to stay at the Waldorf Astoria this year and we all enjoyed the stay very much. The kids were especially tickled by the tv in the mirror and the fireplace (I even brought garland to make it more festive : )
We all agree that the staff was very friendly and that they made us feel so welcome. We had a large suite and each night the very friendly housekeepers came up to make the sofa bed with comfy linens and pillows. They also left adorable mini robes and slippers for the kids! Another nice touch was when the doormen handed us nice large umbrellas as we walked out into the rain on Saturday.
The only frustration we experienced was with the restaurant the concierge recommended. We asked for something nearby with interesting atmosphere and good food. The place he enthusiastically endorsed was a good distance away. We had to cab it, and with so many great restaurants right here, it seemed like a waste of time. The restaurant had quite typical atmosphere and unremarkable food. He definitely could have steered us to a number of much better restaurants. We ate at LeColonial the next night...just steps away with very rich atmosphere, extensive menu and wonderful French Vietnamese food. Try the egg rolls wrapped in crispy lettuce!
Other than that our stay was quite enjoyable! We will return and make our own restaurant selection next time ; )

Room Tip: Late night crowds can be loud on Rush so ask for a higher floor to avoid being awakened at 1:30am!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Kate H
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Kate H,

Thank you so much for posting your review of your recent visit with us and for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay for your annual Christmas weekend with your family. I am delighted to read that your youngsters enjoyed the unique amenities in your room, especially the TV in the mirror and the fireplace.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our service team. It’s rewarding to read that the team was able to efficiently assist you throughout your stay. I apologize about the wrong restaurant recommendation for you and your family. I will bring your concerns to the Concierge Team’s attention. We will look forward to our next opportunity to properly serve you when your travels next bring you and your family to Chicago.

Lansdowne, Virginia
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I travel to Chicago almost every week and stay at the Waldorf Astoria. It's a quiet hotel, rooms are classy, and the staff if extremely helpful but not over the top.

I highly recommend staying at this hotel when in Chicago.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank mikecrav
Dear mikecrav,

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your regular visits to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am delighted to learn that you have chosen the Waldorf as your hotel of stay in the Windy City. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our rooms and our service team and for recommending our hotel. We truly value your loyalty and can’t wait to welcome you back on your next business trip to Chicago.

Kitchener
Reviewed December 14, 2012

It was my wife's 50th birthday, and since American Airlines now services our city with direct flights to Chicago, I decided to take her there. The name "Waldorf-Astoria" has a certain panache, so that was my choice. A week before our trip, I received an email from a Roman Suhs, who said he was our personal conceriage? Anything special we wanted, he would arrange. So ....a dozen roses and a bottle of champagne.

First thing we noticed, when we pulled up to the hotel (impression ... absolutely beautiful), there was a small army of well dressed, very polite gentlemen who handled our luggage. They refused the tip I offered ... wow. We were somewhat early, so they stored our luggage for us. The lobby was austere but tasteful, and there was a lounge area that was somewhat warmer looking with a open fireplace, all decked out for christmas. The front desk took my cell phone number, and said they would call when our room was ready.

We wondered around Chicago for a few hours, and we got the call about our room at 1 ... earlier than I expected. When we got to our room, our luggae was waiting for us ...plus the roses and champagne. Took my wifes breath away. The room itself had a fully stocked bar with snacks, a living area with a fireplace and flat-screen TV, huge bedroom with a great view of the city, and an enormous bathroom with a marble bath tub, big stand up shower, two sinks, and a seperate and enclosed toilet. The room was decorated in the same modern-austere as the lobby we both quite liked. Nice warm fluffy robes come with the room.

We were there for three nights ....enjoyed every minute of it. The staff were friendly and helpful, and the hotel runs like a well oiled machine. We had room service a few times, which was prompt and the food was very good. We had tower of sea food one night ... cold lobster and shrimp plus raw oysters and clams in a four high serving platter full of ice. Yum. We had breakfast there one morning, and the food and service was great. There is a very comfortable bar as well.

Location wise, the hotel is near innumerable bars, restaurants , shops ...you name it.

Downside? Well .... this place is not for the economically minded. It is expensive. (You can save some money, however, by paying the full amout of your stay up front. You save about 10%.) That being said, I don't mind paying what I paid for the fabulous time we had. Also, the restaurant and room service tack on an 18% gratuity automatically. This annoys me in most places, but the service was so good I would probably ther, have paid that anyway.

All in all, my wife had the best birthday ever, so thanks to Roman and the wonderful staff at the Waldorf for a truly memorable time. We will be back.

Room Tip: Try getting a room facing East .... better view of the city.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KitchenerWelshguy
Dear KitchenerWelshguy,

Thank you so much for posting your review of your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor and for celebrating such a special occasion with us. I am delighted to learn that you and your wife enjoyed the décor in the hotel, our room service, the food in our restaurant Balsan, our bar Bernard’s and the hotel’s location. Thank you for your kind remarks about Roman. I am thrilled that he and the team were able to make your wife’s birthday a little more special. We truly value your loyalty and will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you in the very near future!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed at the Waldorf last week. We were in a king suite. I was just at the waldorf in July, so was excited about visiting again, as it was for my 40th birthday & was a surprise!
The room was a nice suite, service was courteous as usual but the bed hurt my back terribly bad for two nights. I went to the spa for a massage to try to deal with the pain, as I have back issues if not sleeping on a good mattress. On the third night I asked the front desk about the matresses to find out that they had five specialty mattresses in select rooms!! They were kind enough to move us to another suite with the mattress that I apparently had stayed in before. I guess that after staying at The Four Seasons & Ritz each time I visited...that there would not be different mattresses in each room. fyi
The spa was beautiful. Very well worth visiting and spending some time in. The servies were very good.
The service at the hotel is good. We were able to use the car service several times during the stay and the drive was incredibly nice. The hotel is in a wonderful location for dining & shopping.
The one fault.... the concierge whose name I won't mention recommended a restaurant for the night of my ((40th)) birthday. It was the snobbiest service & terrible food...so much so that we couldn't take another minute & ended up leaving after the third course. It was a waste of time & money. After traveling all over the U.S. (read some of my reviews) and having amazing service & dinners...I was incredibly sad that my birthday dinner was ruined! You only turn 40 once!
It was late & everything was booked up. No place to go! We told the concierge that was on duty what had happened. He apologized.
The one who made the reservation has yet to contact us about this! I find this to be very poor service and it has left a bad taste in our mouth about the service at this hotel. We have stayed at top hotels in the country and I feel certain that the concierge at Four Seasons Resort Hawaii At Hualalai, Meadowood, or many others probably would have contacted us....after all...it was only a birthday. :(

Room Tip: If you have back problems ask about the mattresses!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tootlepops
WAChicago, Director of Hotel Services at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear tootlepops,

Thank you so much for choosing again the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay in the Windy City and for your review of your recent visit with us. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your suite, our House Car Service and our Elysian Spa. However, I am terribly disappointed and concerned that the remainder of this second experience, especially with regard to the mattress and our Concierge Service, was far below our standards.

I would like the opportunity to personally speak to you and discuss what can be done to have you stay with us again in the future. I can be contacted at kathryn.m.day@waldorfastoria.com, or alternatively, my direct number is 312 646 1404.

I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you personally.

Kathryn Day
Director of Hotel Services
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed December 11, 2012

So when your rated No. 1 the water mark is high. Here's my thoughts; first, for the money, your suites should not have stained carpets, NO WAY!!! I'm guessing in the hotel world the carpet issue is difficult, however, YOUR no. 1! Number 101 I wouldn't make such a big deal. But its just gross, and when you get the bill, it make even more disappointed. The suite itself, MANY bells and whistles some great touches, like bottled beverages, but really no Bottle/wine opener? The pullout bed very ordinary, and uncomfortable.
The service is all awesome, from clean rooms to getting food, you cant go wrong. I would say that there maintence issue maybe a bit lacking. I brought family and my little guy and I are outside and he's playing on the cement parking post, as were waiting for the car, and this cemented post, literally comes out of ground, and tips over on my leg.... The things weighs almost 50 pounds; right on my leg!!! NO I didn't sue, BUT, Y'know its the Waldorf Astoria, and I had a post fall on me. Thank goodness the injury only ruined the rest of my stay and not anything more serious. When you are the best, its not good enough to get to the top of the mountain, its the challenge of STAYING on top of the mountain that keeps you Number 1. I would say also, it may not be the best option for families with youngsters, as kids like to go swimming, and make noise in a pool, well, people staying at that hotel want to go to the pool for peace and quiet. Tough to do when you have kids doing belly flops. Would I go back?? yes....I'm just disappointed in having to deal with the same kind of drama of a holiday inn.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear shappyhappy,

Thank you so much for your review of your recent stay with us. We truly value your feedback, for comments like yours enable us to continuously strive for improvement in the quality of our services and products. I am delighted to learn that you found the quality of our food and service enjoyable. However, I am truly disappointed and concerned about the remainder of your visit, especially with regard to the unfortunate incident in the courtyard and the problem with the carpet in your room. I have brought your concerns to our Director of Hotel Services' attention for further review. We truly value your loyalty, and we will look forward to the opportunity to regain your faith in our ability to properly serve you and your family.