“Great Chicago Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Waldorf Astoria Chicago

Waldorf Astoria Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 East Walton, Chicago, IL 60611 (Formerly Elysian Hotel Chicago) (Gold Coast)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$50 Credit per Night
Ranked #7 of 185 Hotels in Chicago
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Great Chicago Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My wife and I recently spent a night in Chicago at the Waldorf Astoria. We were upgraded to a suite which was incredible. Room service was very good - the food arrived in time and HOT! They have a no tip policy for the staff. We cannot wait to return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank houston1949
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear houston1949,

Thank you for your review of recent stay with us. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your suite, our In Room Dining service and our no tipping policy. We truly value your loyalty and will look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully in the very near future!

Tel: (312) 646-1300

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Nicest big city hotel I've stayed in. As good or better than the Palmer House suite I had years ago. The Waldorf is a little out of the way, about 2-3 blocks off Miichigan and maybe 12 blocks north of the river. Easy walk to many nice store if it is not too cold. The hotel, the room, the spa were all 5 star. Sophisticated, well healed, and friendly. I would stay there again. Yeah, it is expensive, and so is the food. But it is the Waldorf and it is in the one of the top 5 cities in North America. It was great.

Room Tip: I was upgraded to a king suite for a hundred dollars. It was worth it. BUt, I think they were a litt...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank P S
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear P S,

Thank you for posting your review of your recent at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your suite, the Elysian Spa and the hotel’s décor and ambiance. We will look forward to welcoming you back when your travels next bring you to Chicago either on business or pleasure!

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed in the Waldorf Astoria for one night in September this year on our visit to Chicago. we pulled up at the hotel and the polite valet welcomed us and took our car and we was checked into the hotel promptly by the desk staff. We was shown to our room and the bellboy offered to take our bags.

The twin room was huge by city standards and felt very fresh and modern. The room was equipped with a huge tv, speaker with ipod dock and even a tv in the bathroom mirror! Unfortunately i didn't have time for a bath so didn't make use of the novelty.

We arrived in the afternoon and went out for dinner in the city so didn't make use of the Hotel's restaurant. I did use the hotel minibar which had a great collection but wasn't priced as bad as you'd expect from a hotel of this quality. The beds were really comfy and i had one of the most amazing nights sleep i've ever had. While we was out the maid serviced our room in the evening.

We checked out late morning stress free, apart from the valet bill which was over $50 for one night! I did try to tip the valet driver but he turned it down (probably felt sorry for me for forking out so much!).

Summarised this is a great hotel in a great location in the heart of Chicago and is definitely recommended. It's quite pricey as you'd expect, but compared to other 5* Hotels it wasn't priced badly at all really. Would definitely return

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Aearin
Dear Aearin,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am truly excited to learn that you and your family enjoyed your room, especially the comfort of our beds, the hotel’s location, and that our service team efficiently assisted you throughout your visit. We truly value your loyalty and can’t wait to welcome you and your family back hopefully in the very near future!

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Great location, amazing room, very large spacious bathroom with a huge tub and TV in the mirror, breakfast spot on and great food at lunch. The service was great overall, except for the front desk who seemed very bored or just very tired (we arrived around 11 pm).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear LorelaiUSA,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am pleased to read that you found our guestrooms, especially the bath tub and the TV mirror, enjoyable and that the food from our restaurant Balsan was to your like. I apologize for the inconsistencies you experienced in the quality of our service. I have brought your concerns to the Guest Services Manager’s attention. Feedback like yours enables us to continue to improve our daily performance and quality of our product. We will look forward to our next opportunity to properly serve you when your travels next bring you to Chicago.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I stayed at the Waldorf in Dec. 2012 and absolutely loved it. The location of the hotel cannot be beat--right in the Gold Coast area, around the corner from all the high-end stores and a short walk to Michigan Ave. I had the Astoria suite which was enormous--nice size living room with working fireplace and a good sized balcony overlooking the city and the lake, a litte bar area, a big bedroom with a separate dressing area, and an enormous bathroom with shower and separate soaking tub and a two sinked vanity. The overall decor is contemporary/modern but comfortable. The bed was also very comfortable and the amenities top-notch. The service was exceptional. For example, we asked for a taxi to go to a restaurant and the hotel drove us in the hotel car instead. The hotel is a "no tipping" hotel where all services are included in the rate. That took a little getting used (feels odd not to tip bellmen). There is free wi-fi in the room and the internet connection was very fast. The conceirge was extremely helpful in arranging transportation, restaurant recommendations, etc. All in all, an excellent hotel. I want to go back to Chicago just to stay in the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank 1LATraveler1
Dear 1LATraveler1,

Thank you so much for your review of your recent stay with us. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed the privacy of our Astoria Suite and all of its unique amenities, the hotels décor, our house car service, and our no tipping policy. Thank you also for your kind comments regarding our service staff. I am happy to read that the team was able to efficiently assist you throughout your stay. We truly value your loyalty and we will look forward to serving you and your friends again in the very near future.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

This hotel was fabulous. I travel to Chicago almost every other week and was VERY fortunate to stay at the WA. The service was fantastic, we were running late to a meeting and they offered us the hotel car to get there in time. The rooms had great bathrooms (large showers, tv's in the mirror's), which every girl needs. I along with my coworkers all had suites, with living rooms, fire places, ice makers in the room and we all LOVED this hotel. It's close to walk to shopping, restaurants etc, The only thing we didn't love was the hotel bar, but since there are so many others so close, it was not an issue. A special thank you to Roman at the front desk, for helping to get our clients checked in so smoothly, above and beyond service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ellen M
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Ellen M,

Thank you so much for posting your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your suite, with its different amenities, the hotel’s location, and that our service team was able to efficiently assist you throughout your stay. Thank you for your kind words with regard to Roman’s performance. I will certainly share your comments with the entire team. I regret that our bar did not meet your expectations, but I am happy to learn that this didn’t affect your overall experience with us. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you when your travels next bring you to Chicago!

Cherry Hill, NJ USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

It wasn't until I went to write this review that I learned this was the #1 rated hotel in Chicago. This is the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. The rooms are nothing short of spectacular. My suite was like a studio apartment with a fireplace, work area, huge bathroom (with TV embedded in the mirror so I could watch and shave), comfortable bed, and enough closet space if I wanted to move in. The service in the hotel was simply perfect. Great location near Michigan Ave and all of the shopping one could want. It would pain me to stay anywhere else on my next visit to Chicago.

Room Tip: A lower floor my help with elevators which were sometimes slow.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank mschorr
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear mschorr,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your suite, with all of its unique amenities, and the hotel’s location. Thank you also for your kind comments in regard to our service. We truly value your loyalty and can’t wait to welcome you back when your travels next bring you to Chicago either on business or pleasure.