New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Waldorf Astoria Chicago

Waldorf Astoria Chicago
Ranked #7 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Princeton, New Jersey
“Loved this hotel. Will definitely go back.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

The hotel was beautiful. from the chandelier in the lobby to the decor in the rooms. The staff was great. I was stranded in Chicago after my flight was cancelled, and they were incredibly kind and helpful with very little notice. The suite was more than comfortable. It's large, and had a gas fireplace, balcony, dressing area and amazing bathroom. I'm only sorry I didn't bring a bathing suit. I heard the pool and spa were worth the trip. It's also located near a lot of restaurants and shopping within walking distance, and not far from the conference center. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank ljk413
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear ljk413,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your suite, with all of its different amenities and the hotel décor and location. I am sorry to hear about your problems with your flight, but I am happy that you were able to enjoy the hotel a little longer and that our team was able to efficiently assist you during this inconvenient process. We truly value your loyalty and will look forward to welcoming you back when your business travels next bring you to Chicago!

Tel: (312) 646-1300

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Korean first
Clarkston, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This hotel definitely lives up to it's positive reviews - it may be the best place I've stayed. The facility is top notch and the staff is the friendliest I've encountered. VERY good service. Our room was a Luxury One Bedroom King Suite and it was large enough for 4. Bathroom included a good sized tub, separate shower and toilet facilities. There was also a half bath located in the hallway, which was convenient for the kids using the sofa bed (they did not have to enter our room). The main living area had a nice fireplace, a refrigerator, microwave and ice maker. There is also a balcony, but this time of year is not the best time to use it. Overall, the room was very quiet as well.

We ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant and it was O.K. The fingerling potatos were delicious, but my wife's eggs were not cooked correctly (very under cooked - she ordered over hard and they were pretty runny, which is nearly unedible for her) and I received the wrong order. It was a bit slow as well.

We did not use the exercise facilities, but we did tour them and they were very impressive. They have a 60 foot lap pool as well, a seperate room for yoga and jacuzzi tubs in both the men's and ladies' lockerooms.

The location is good and I particularly liked the courtyard/ hotel's enterance off of E. Walton - you did not have to hurry getting in and out of your car and they park it on site so you do not have to wait long for the valet to retrieve it.

As I said, the staff was very attentive, professional and friendly and really made the overall experience quite favorable.

I have stayed at many hotels in Chicago (including the Peninsula) and I will definitely return to the Waldorf.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Sammy1006
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Sammy1006,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your suite, with all of its unique amenities, our Health Club, and the privacy of our courtyard. I regret to learn, however, that breakfast did not meet you expectations. Your concerns have been brought to our Executive Chef and to our Food and Beverage Director’s attention. Feedback like yours enables us to continuously strive for improvement in the quality of our products and services.

Thank you for your kind comments in regard to our service team. We truly value your loyalty and will look forward to our next opportunity to properly serve you when you and your family visit with us again, hopefully in the very near future.

Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

This was a beautiful hotel. Charm and decent location.

Although far from museums for the family, the house car ferried us to most destinations conveniently.

Super cozy bar for a late night cocktail and the spa is beautiful.

Room service was pricey but good food and came in a hot box trolley which was nice.

Family note...There are no 2 bedroom suites and the sleeper sofa was not the best for teenage sons. This was our only complaint and the charming room more than made up for it.

Super comfortable for a family weekend and I will return for business as well.

Really my new favorite!

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Amanda42139
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Amanda42139,

Thank you so much for your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our hotel’s décor, our Elysian Spa, our In Room Dining service, and our bar Bernard’s.

I regret to learn that the sofa bed in your suite was not the ideal accommodation for your teenage sons. We can offer in the future a combination of two of our suites, which connect and become a large two bedroom suite, to make your stay more comfortable.

We truly value your loyalty and are really excited to learn that we have become your new favorite hotel. We will look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the very near future.

boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Look, my go-to hotel in Chicago is the James. Was this better? No...and let me explain.

It's more traditional, old school and, um, upper 1%-er. You can tell by the Wall Street Journals lining the crystal chandelier lit hallways in the AM.

The lobby is awkward. There is no bar or activity in the lobby area. The restaurant/bar are on the second level. The bar, in particular, is small, dark and odd. The rooms are large and nice, but so what? This is my parent's hotel. It's just much too old school traditional for my taste. Back to the my go-to...

Room Tip: all rooms are probably great, if you like a "traditional" property
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank m0rrissey
Dear m0rrisey,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am delighted to learn that you find our guest rooms enjoyable; however, I regret to read that the hotel’s décor did not meet your expectations. We will look forward to another opportunity to properly serve you and craft for you a more welcoming and warmer stay when business next brings you back into Chicago.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I wanted to write a review because this hotel deserves to be recognized for its superb customer service, cleanliness, and all around ambiance. It's also warm feeling, verse over pretentious.

I live in Chicago, and my husband and I enjoy luxury get-aways. We will stay here again for another "stay-cation." I'd like to come in the summer, so we could of sat our on the balcony and drink. I do hope they have furniture to do that in the warmer months.

I like that you can stay within the hotel grounds the whole weekend- Beautiful spa, fire place in room to read, and upscale bar. I would like to see a small menu of food at Bernards and/or desserts options. Balsan is a great restaurant for brunch, and we also really enjoyed ordering oysters, cheese and olives there for late night dinner.

I'm hard to impress, and we really loved our entire stay here.

Room Tip: Fire place in the room during the winter was a lot of fun to have.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jennifer h
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Jennifer h,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to learn that you enjoy our guest rooms, especially their fireplaces and terraces, our restaurant Balsan, our Spa and our bar Bernard’s. Thank your for your feedback regarding Bernard’s. Our Executive Chef, Herve, and the culinary team have composed an exciting menu of tasteful bites which should go live very soon! Thank you also for your kind comments in regards to our service team. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you when you and your husband visit with us again, hopefully in the very near future.

Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I want to give a compliment to Al, the concierge at the Waldorf Astoria who made reservations - hard to get - hair salon recommendations and sent off packages - when I tried to tip him he declined as the hotel is non-tipping - I found that most unusual and wanted to say thank you Al for making my stay very enjoyable - Jane King

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jane K
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Jane K,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback in regards to our concierge Al. He is a great asset to our team. I will definitely share your kind comments with him and the entire staff. Our hotel’s definition of luxury does not include tips but does include welcoming our guests with genuine warmth and desire of being of assistance. Giving without the expectation of receiving is the Waldorf Astoria Chicago way. We will look forward to your next visit, hopefully in the very near future.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Truly an outstanding experience. The location could not be nicer, especially for those who like to walk around and check out a few stores during the stay. The front desk could not have been more helpful. Compared to other luxury Chicago hotels, such as the Trump, the pricing was high but not $25-bottle-of-water absurd. The employees at the hotel do not accept tips under any circumstances, a refreshing surprise and a sign of great customer service. Rooms are sleek and elegant, with modern hotel-masculine decor. The Waldorf Astoria Chicago lived up to its reputation as one of the premier hotels in Chicago, if not the country.

Room Tip: High floors. Ask if Presidential Suite is available. You can negotiate it way down, as in from $6000...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank 5staraficionado
Dear 5staraficionado,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am thrilled to learn that you enjoy the hotel’s décor and location, our guest rooms, and our not tipping policy. Our service team truly believes in serving without expecting anything in return except our guests' desire to visit with us again. We truly value your loyalty and can’t wait to welcome you back when your travels next bring you to Chicago.