“What can I say...”

Waldorf Astoria Chicago
Ranked #10 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I can see why this hotel is #1 in the continental U.S. It is tremendous. The lobby itslef is a little understated, but it's tastefully done, and the check-in process was very speedy and efficient. I particularly liked the fireplace in the lobby. It was very cozy. I also liked the courtyard -- it actually reminded me of Paris.

I had indicated on the reservation that it was my anniversary. As a result, the front desk upgraded us to a beautiful suite, and there was a half-bottle of sparking wine from Burgundy for us in the room. The suite was beautiful, with a loving foyer and bar, living area with open gas fireplace, a beautiful bed and sleeping area, a dressing area, and a huge bathroom. The only bathrooms I liked as much as this one was Encore Las Vegas and the Four Seasons Provence. It really was a beautiful room, and I actually got an exceptional price of $375. I'd stay here again for that price in a heart beat.

The only thing that was a little disappointing about the hotel was the view. We overlooked a parking garage. The location of the hotel was nice, just off the northern section of the magnificant mile, near the water tower. I wouldn't want to be any further north, but it was a nice walk down Michigan Avenue to get to the river. It was a lovely spot.

I'd return here in a heartbeat, and I'd say that it certainly ranks up there among the places that I've stayed. I perhaps enjoy the St. Regis NY a little more, but it's hard to say...

Room Tip: the suites with the open gas fireplace are the place to be!
8  Thank musicmansimpson
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Dear musicmansimpson,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago to celebrate such a special occasion. I am delighted to learn that you truly enjoyed your suite, with all of its unique amenities, the hotel’s décor and location, and especially the fireplaces throughout our hotel. We are so excited to read that you would like to visit with us again. We truly value your loyalty!

I am sorry that the view from your suite was below your expectations. We will look forward to welcoming you and your travel companion back in the very near future; we will ensure that you have a room with a much more pleasant view.

There are newer reviews for Waldorf Astoria Chicago

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed here two nights recently on points. At a cost of 70,000 per, my expectations were rather high.
From the architecture to the room it was first class. We were upgraded to a suite and balcony room. The amenities were top notch, the TV in the bath mirror was a pleasant surprise as was the fireplace and twin 42' TV's in the rooms. The shower was one of the best I have been in and the bedding was to die for. The staff was genuinely friendly as well as helpful. We walked everywhere as high end prime steakhouse restaurants were just a block or two away. Starbucks around the corner and Bloomingdales amongst other high in shops next door. How do you top that?
All in all, and after staying at five different Waldorf's, this ranks as the best to date.

9  Thank Texazstar
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Dear Texazstar,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent visit to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor. Feedback like yours truly inspires to continuously strive for Excellence in everything we do. I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your suite with all of its unique amenities, the hotel’s décor and location and that our hotel is on the top of your Waldorf’s list. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you when your travels bring you and your travel companion back to Chicago.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed at the Waldorf Chicago over a weekend in October for a much needed ladies’ weekend. We had a Gold Coast Suite along with a deluxe bedroom with 2 queen beds.

First the good: The rooms and bathrooms are spacious and clean; Farragamo toiletries are great and smell good. The bathrooms have 2 sinks, lovely deep tubs and fantastic walk-in showers. The hotel décor is modern, calming, and understated while still feeling quite luxurious. The Elysian spa is lovely and well worth a visit.

The bad: Unfortunately the service was lacking. At check-in time our suite was not ready, but I was assured it would be soon and they would call me when it was. We waited in the Deluxe room for it to be prepared…. and waited… and waited. I finally called down to the front desk (2 hours after check-in) and “oh yes, it was ready for us to go to now.” When I made reservations I had requested adjoining rooms, which they seemed to have no problem with. At check-in it was a problem and they couldn’t get me adjoining rooms unless I wanted to upgrade and pay more for another room myself. There were other service mishaps throughout the weekend that seemed to be due to plain bad communication on the hotel’s part. We waited for our car, we waited for our luggage, we waited on room service, we waited for a lot of things.

I understand hotels get busy, especially with weekend guests; but at a hotel like the Waldorf Astoria I would expect them to be prepared for this. Next time I will stay at the Four Seasons or Trump.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank chairsntable
WAChicago, Director of Guest Services at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Dear Catie B,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed our guest rooms, with all of its different amenities, our hotel décor and our Elysian Spa; however extremely disappointed and concerned that the remainder of your experience, especially with relation to the delay in the delivery of our In Room Dining, your car and your luggage and the miscommunication related to your room type request, was far below our standards.

I would love the opportunity to personally speak to you and discuss what we can do to have you visit with us again. I can be contacted at chad.gordon@waldorfastoria.com, or alternatively, my direct number is (312) 646-1335.

We look forward to the opportunity to regain your faith in our ability to properly serve you.

Chad Gordon
Director of Guest Services

Reviewed October 14, 2012

My family and I spent 5 days in the WA Chicago last week. Everything about it is great: location, rooms, service, and the no-tipping policy is a plus. We were upgraded to a Gold Coast Suite, beautiful room with plenty of wardrobe space. The views are nothing special, but that was not important to us. It is really close to Michican Ave and all the nice shops. We had breakfast at the hotel every morning, and dinner only once, but the food is good and well-presented. It is a shame they don't have a more formal restaurant anymore, but I was told there are plans to reopen it. My only observation is about the towels: being such an exclusive and expensive hotel, towels should be of a better quality, but that is not a big deal. I am glad we picked the Waldorf for our family vacation in Chicago, definitely the first of many stays! Well done, Hilton.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank claudiaspiandorim

Dear claudiaspiandorim,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during your last family vacation in Chicago. We are truly humbled by your gracious comments regarding our suites, the hotel’s location, our service staff and our no tipping policy. Thank you also for your feedback regarding our towels. This matter will be brought to our Housekeeping Director’s attention. We truly value your loyalty and can’t wait to welcome you and your family back very soon!

Reviewed October 14, 2012

I want to begin my review by saying that before I even stepped a foot inside this hotel, I had huge expectations. I really wanted to love this hotel and my experience there. The photos and previous reviews had all been so lovely...and my husband and I were celebrating an anniversary and much needed get away from small children.
I will say the building, location and the courtyard is unbeatable. The staff were friendly and smiley...but then the experience quickly turned sour. Once inside (from the grand courtyard), the lobby (though modern and pretty) felt cold and cramped to me (yes it was a chilly October day)...no warmth (as I always experience entering The Ritz or Peninsula or The Four Seasons). The room was also unimpressive. Though modern and beautifully furnished, it again felt cold...although there was a beautiful fireplace in the room (which I will get to later). There were stains in our carpet; plain and non-luxurious bedding with only 2 pillows and virtually no toiletries in the bathroom(no kleenex so I had to use toilet paper to remove my makeup).
As I said, we were celebrating a anniversary. So, we brought our own champagne and called to request a bucket of ice so that we could enjoy a glass before going out to dinner. We sat and waited and waited...after more than 45 minutes of waiting, we drank luke warm champagne before going to dinner.
When we returned to our room to relax, we tried to wear the robe and slippers but to our surprise, their slippers were made for children...literally. My husband had to jam his feet into them. We found it amusing and called to request some bigger slippers. After about 30 minutes, housekeeping brought up the same size slippers...so my husband trodded around with half his feet hanging out the back.
Then, we really wanted to take advantage of a good night rest (with small children at home-a much desired luxury)....only to be surprisingly awakened at 4a.m by the rooms alarm...we shot up out of bed thinking there was a fire!! We called front desk and the technician who came to our room said it was the carbon monoxide alarm, apparently set off from the fireplace (15 minutes of a roaring fire I soarly came to regret). We sat awake...sad and tired...
In the morning, we called down to order breakfast to be brought to our room...(last chance to impress us!)...but no...they brought my husband's food but forgot to bring mine...I sat and watched my husband eat and then ate alone a half hour later.
To rub salt to our wounds, we found a cigarette in our car when our car was brought to us...hmmm, it seems like the Waldorf Chicago does not want our future business. I do NOT recommend this hotel if you are expecting luxury or 5 star service.

8  Thank nina y
WAChicago, Director of Guest Services at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Dear nina y,

Thank you for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago to celebrate such a special occasion.
I sincerely apologize for the inconsistencies in the quality of our service throughout your visit and for not being able to craft a memorable experience for you and your spouse.

I would like the opportunity to personally speak to you and discuss what can be done to have you stay with us again in the future. I can be contacted at chad.gordon@waldorfastoria.com, or alternatively, my direct number is (312) 646-1335.

I look forward to the opportunity to regain your faith in our ability to properly serve you.

Apologetically,

Chad Gordon
Director of Guest Services

Reviewed October 13, 2012

There are a number of nice choices available along the so-called Magnificent Mile in Chicago but in my view this is the best. Huge suite rooms, great service, nice and convenient courtyard to pull into. The only negative i'd observe is that there need to be more elevators, but for the most part this was not a problem. Very easy walks to Lincoln Park, area shops and restaurants and the Lake.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
7  Thank BGosivetti

Dear BGosivetti,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during your last business trip to Chicago. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed the hotel’s location, your suite, the convenience of our courtyard and that our staff was able to efficiently assist you throughout your stay. We will look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future!

Reviewed October 12, 2012

After spending two nights here during the week, I can clearly see why this hotel is top rated in Chicago. It is clean, up to date, almost boutique oriented and gives a new feel to an old brand.

I had meetings in a conference room, drinks in the bar, and dinners in the restaurant. All were exceptional. If you can afford it, this is the place to stay.

Stayed: October 2012
6  Thank Robinky

Dear Robinky,

Thank you so much for posting your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor. I am so delighted to learn that you truly enjoyed the hotel’s décor, our conference rooms, our restaurant Balsan and our bar Bernard’s. We will look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Chicago either on business or pleasure!