“Disappointing”

Ranked #13 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
New York
“Disappointing”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

A previous reviewer mentioned the lovely beds. They are and I agree that it's important but one should expect more from a hotel with the rating it's received on Trip Advisor and elsewhere. We arrived on a Friday afternoon and waited 45 minutes for someone to bring up our bags. When we were ready to check out on Monday it took several calls and half an hour for someone to help us get bags down to the lobby. In each case there were apologies and perfectly charming people delivering the apologies but when you're due at a wedding rehearsal and need your luggage or when you're trying to get to the airport in time for a flight an apology isn't really sufficient. There was no line in the lobby at either time to justify the delays.... Understaffed perhaps? Another complaint, again not a trivial one, is the lighting in the bathrooms. (We had family members in other rooms with the same problem.). How can a newly designed hotel that bothers to put in a makeup mirror not bother to put in enough wattage for one to actually see oneself shave or put on makeup? And the room layouts are a little crazy. Doors and drawers that block passage ways. Now I'm getting petty but this is annoying when you've got two people dressing for a major event. Let me just add that our suite included a terrace---it had an unlovely view of a parking ramp so we didn't really mind that the sliding door didn't open...

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
12 Thank Helen J
WAChicago, Director of Hotel Services at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Helen J.

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our beds; however, extremely disappointed and concerned that the remainder of your experience, especially with relation to your baggage delivery delay and departure, was far below our standards.

I would like the opportunity to personally speak to you and discuss what can be done to have you stay with us again in the future. I can be contacted at kathryn.m.day@waldorfastoria.com, or alternatively, my direct number is 3126461404.

I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you personally.

Sincerely
Kathryn Day
Director of Hotel Services

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Northbrook, Illinois
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Looked forward to my visit after reading great reviews online and seeing the Chicago Tribune list the hotel as number one in the country. Maybe my expectations were too high.

On the bright side, hotel room was big as far as city hotel rooms go, beautifully appointed, and had a large bathroom. Bed was extremely comfortable which is very important to us. Slept well, and room was virtually soundproof! Welcome gift of free movie ticket and popcorn and soda was a nice touch. Spa was great - loved the whirlpool (at a recent stay at the Trump Hotel we found their spa did not include a whirlpool- big mistake...). Housekeeping was on the ball - when I accidentally left the privacy light on when I went out for the day, I returned to the room at 4pm to find that my room had not been made up...but housekeeping had left me a message at 2pm reminding me that my privacy light was on and asking me if I would like my room made up.

Now for the stuff that I would not expect from this hotel. After a chilly walk outside on Friday night we got back to the room and my husband disrobed and was ready to jump in the bath and warm up. Turned on the faucets - no water coming out of the cold water faucet. You have got to be kidding. How do they clean the tub if they don't turn on the water? Called housekeeping and engineer came up and temprarily fixed it. New part was needed which engineer did not have. On Saturday night I was getting ready to do my makeup for a nice dinner we had planned. Happily saw a makeup mirror and went to turn it on - it did not light up. Did my makeup without it and told the front desk on my way out. When I got home from dinner it was on, but it was too little too late. Lastly, when I checked in I was asked what newspaper I wanted delivered the next day and I indicated USA Today - my quick read vacation paper. Late Saturday afternoon I realized it had never been delivered. Called the front desk and they told me that USA Today was not available on Saturdays. Ok, so why did the front desk not tell me this when I ordered it, or at the very least when delivery time rolled around why didn't they call the room and ask if there was an alternate newspaper that I wanted instead? When I called the front desk they did ask what I wanted instead and I got the NY Times delivered but I should not have had to call them; for what this hotel is charging they should have handled this situation better. Not excellent service.

So, nice hotel but for what they are charging they should take better care of the rooms and their service should be impeccable. It was not.

3 Thank Sharon S
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Sharon S,

I apologize for the delay in my response.Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your room and that our housekeeping team was able to efficiently assist you throughout your stay. Nevertheless, I am terribly sorry about all of the inconsistencies in service that you experienced during your visit, especially the problems with your bathroom and the newspaper of your choice. Your feedback is truly valuable, for comments like yours enable us to continuously improve the quality of our product and services. We will look forward to another opportunity to properly serve you should your travels bring you back to Chicago.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed September 25, 2012

What a beautiful hotel. The accommodations are outstanding, beautiful room with a working fireplace. TV in the bathroom, with both a separate shower and a sunken tub (great to soak in after a long day walking the Magnificent Mile). Staff was outstanding and so helpful, even passing out extra umbrellas on a rainy morning (one is already in the room should you need it). Would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank margut407
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear margut407,

Thank you so much for posting your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your room, with all of its different amenities, and that our service team was able to efficiently assist you throughout your visit. Thank you for your gracious comments about our team, for feedback like yours truly inspires us to continue to strive for excellence on everything we do. We truly value your loyalty and will look forward to welcoming you and your travel companion back in the very near future!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I'll keep this short -- if you're looking for a fantastic place to stay in Chicago, the Waldorf is an excellent choice. Beautiful property with gorgeous rooms and excellent service. We loved the Gold Coast location, but just be aware that it's a 15-20 min walk from the river if your activities will be focused more in that area.

This is my new fave hotel in Chicago. It used to be the Conrad, which is also awesome, but the Waldorf just surpassed it. Looking forward to coming back.

Room Tip: The only king rooms they had available with a fireplace were handicap-accessible, so we forewent the...
5 Thank sfguy24
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear sfguy24,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago as your hotel of stay during your last visit to the Windy City. We are sincerely humbled by your feedback and so excited to have become your new favorite hotel in the city. We truly value your loyalty and will be looking forward to welcoming you and your travel companion back when your travels next bring you to Chicago, hopefully very soon!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Service was excellent (e.g. Raining when we arrived & doormen rush to the car w/ an umberella). Had forgot my contact solution & housekeeping readily supplied (along w/ extra pillows). Room service also timely. Did not have any paid Spa services but did use the facility. Eucalyptus steam was fantastic. Was somewhat discouraged that from the website pics & others we were w/ attending a weekend seminar, that they had a fireplace in their room & great view. We had a King rm. but no fireplace & a view of a brick wall. But tried to focus on the positives of the room & beautiful decor. Bathroom was large & spectacular. Wetbar nicely stocked & liked drawer refrig./freezer (that had ice readily available). Would recommend but would ask more about the specifics of the room I was making reservations for, such as view & fireplace. Is $$$$$ but you feel so pampered.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank DrKKF
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear DrKKF,

Thank you so much for your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago. I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your room, with all of its unique amenities, our Spa and our room service. I am also happy to read that our service team was able to efficiently assist you throughout your visit. I look forward to our next opportunity to properly serve you when you visit with us again in the near future so you can experience a different type of room, this time with a fireplace and a nicer view.

Jeffersonville, Indiana
Reviewed September 21, 2012

The Waldorf in Chicago was just what you would expect from the name, fantastic. The room was a king suite and it was huge. The balcony overlooking Rush Street was an added attraction and the service was spectacular. The staff was "spot on" at every turn. Don't get me wrong, the price was more than I usually am willing to pay... about $550 a night, but the treatment was equal the price tag. Would we stay again... yes! If we can afford to!

Room Tip: The Waldorf is a short walk to the Magnificent Mile on Michigan, but don't miss the great stores...
6 Thank LarryWilder
Dear LarryWilder,

Thank you so much for posting your review of your recent stay at the Waldorf Astoria Chicago on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your suite, the view from your balcony and the hotel’s location. I am so humbled by your comments regarding our service team as well. We will look forward to our next opportunity to serve you and your travel companion when your travels next bring you to Chicago.

Saint Joseph, Michigan
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Excellent stay for our anniversary, great location for shopping/dining. Upgraded to room on top floor. Room had separate living room, large bedroom and bathroom. Bathroom was all marble with a soaker tub. Balcony view was nice. Spa was awesome. Breakfast at Balsan was good. First stay at a Waldorf and was not disappointed. Wife loved her massage and recommended spa to multiple friends. Overall we couldn't have stayed at a more beautiful hotel.

Room Tip: Visit the spa even if not booked for a treatment
5 Thank Christopher T
WAChicago, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear Ctrigg1,

Thank you so much for choosing the Waldorf Astoria Chicago to celebrate such a special occasion. We are very humbled by your kind comments and truly delighted to read that you both enjoyed your suite, the view from your balcony, our different amenities in the room, our restaurant Balsan, and that you had a very relaxing time in our Spa. We truly value your loyalty and can’t wait to welcome you and your wife back, hopefully very soon.