“Space, Service, Style, Balcony - Wow!”

Waldorf Astoria Chicago
Ranked #14 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
La Jolla, California
“Space, Service, Style, Balcony - Wow!”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

First time guest here, will not be my last. Service was unexcelled - staff take their cue from the guest - when we were in a rush, staffers snapped into action for us, and when our pace was more leisurely, they mirrored our pacing to serve us in a more leisurely fashion.

I admire that apparently any staff member can do anything - each time I rang the operator asking to be put through to the right department (valet, restaurant, concierge as just three examples), the operator asked what I needed and instantly said 'consider it done', be it the car being brought around, a restaurant reservation being made, or a city map marked with an off-site restaurant being brought to my room. Staff are top notch in every way, not one person made a misstep in any way during my week's stay, and my colleagues also made mention of their happiness that we chose to stay here.

Regarding location I at first marked it as good, not excellent, but then realized that I really like this location: off the main drag, one way street in front so much less traffic, less noise, less pollution. I had a large balcony and enjoyed using it. The weather was fine and I could actually conduct business via cell phone from the balcony without my phonemates once saying where are you, I can't hear you, what is that noise etc.

We ate on property at Balsan and it was a revelation - the food was so very good that we canceled one off-site dinner engagement so we could eat in Balsan again. Just as good the second time. Did not get chance to try RIA but that just makes me want to come back sooner rather than later. There are also innumerable wonderful restaurants within a five minute walk of the hotel, and when it was obvious we were walking somewhere rather than taking our car, the doorman offered for the hotel's car and driver to drive us where we wanted to go in town as a complimentary first-come first-serve service, what a welcome surprise.

Another surprise is the TV placed behind the bathroom mirror; I loved that and it's an indication of how much thought has gone into this entire place.

I noticed the same level of pleasant professional service and care to every guest throughout my stay, and when meeting guests in the elevator or bar or lobby, we all had smiles, knowing that we were the smart ones to stay at this lovely hotel in this fascinating city.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank HotelFanDeluxeYes
ElysianHotel, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Chicago, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to Chicago. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay.

Richard Evanich
(312) 646 1300

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2012

My third business trip to Chicago and my third stay at the Waldorf Astoria (formerly Elysian). I look forward to my stays here as the suites are beautiful. It's not cheap, particularly the dining and spa, but it's of a high standard. The service is first class and they've retained the Elysian's no-tipping custom which I welcome.
The only improvement I could suggest (and have) is for in-room coffee making facilities (English tea too if they really want to wow!).
The location is also great for shops and restaurants - plenty within a very short walk.
I can't wait to go back - I'd even stay here for pleasure and that's really saying something.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Nadine V
Reviewed May 13, 2012

My arrival at hotel started magically. I truly love the cobblestone entrance and the lobby. Very classy and understated. I find the check-in to be seamless and warm for such a luxury hotel. While I didn't have a spa service, I did take in the steam room and terrace of the spa. It's a real treat. We had a dinner at the casual (for this hotel) bistro and I loved it. And the bar seemed to be hopping in the evening. I heard they craft a fine cocktail. The street noise was minimal and the rooms were beautiful. A wonderful spa bathroom that I wanted to stay in all day. I think the things I would change about the place would be the lack of a "club level" which I must admit is my favorite part of most luxury hotels. I just love going up to a floor where you can have a cocktail or espresso and just enjoy a quiet moment outside of your room. I know it seems like a shallow complaint, but we did pay $600 a night for the room, and an espresso maker wouldn't hurt. I can hardly get up without my strong coffee and heading down to the lobby for coffee first thing is not ideal. That being said, anyone who stays here will feel like royalty.

Room Tip: The rooms all looked big and bright. But a terrace is a must
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Betty R
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel in so many ways-just not my fav. I expect if I were a spa person, I may have rated the W-A 5 stars, but they're not my thing. The room was very nice, & the bathroom was primo, w/ double sink & separate tub & shower. Beds were good but not terrific. It's obviously the luck of the draw, but I'm a huge 'view' person. Even a simple, active city street can be satisfying, but I'm never completely happy looking out at the back of another building, as was the case last wknd. It feels terribly confining, despite the oversized room. The location is great-just off Rush w/ the coolest restaurants & 2 blocks from Michigan Ave's Magnificent Mile shopping. I was unable to try the W-A's 2 Michelin-starred main dining room, but did have an expensive snack at Balsan (see review). I will reiterate in closing that the hotel's service was the best I've ever encountered. The doorman even ventured several blocks to find a cab for my sis-in-law on a busy Monday morning.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Tubman74
United States
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I've lost count of the times I've stayed at this property as the Elysian, but my first as a Waldorf Astoria. While many or indeed most of the staff are the same, the experience is not - Reservations are a disaster, dont know availability, get reservations wrong and apparently have not transferred data on previously loyal Elysian guests. The staff weren't smiling or indeed as friendly as they used to be....Although if this was my first visit I may not have noticed as much. It's ranking just "average" with me now. Would flowers in the lobby kill them ( token gesture on the front desk noted)???

• Stayed May 2012
6 Thank luxurytravelguru
Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

Love this hotel. It's very elegant and comfortable. I stayed in a suite which is ideal if your there with friends. The spa is so pretty and relaxing. The only thing I would like to see in the hotel is a coffee maker in the room. They have room service which is great but so many good hotels have Nespresso machines in the rooms and I'm surprised the Waldorf doesn't.

Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Jaypowen
Reviewed May 3, 2012

My daughter gave me an early Father's Day gift of spending a couple of days with her in downtown Chicago at the Waldorf Astoria. She booked a suite and paid for everything! From the second I got out of the taxi, I experienced nothing but first class service. I was greeted by the doorman who immediately collected my bag and promptly delivered it to our suite. Every employee encounter was a friendly experince and all of them made a point of asking if there was anything we wanted. The rooms of our suite were well appointed and immaculate. The beds were comfortable and had the softest sheets I ever slept on. Room service, nightly turndown service, etc. were prompt and courteous and no one accepted a tip when offered on multiple occasions. We were consistently told that service was included as part of our stay -- even a complimentary shoeshine! I've stayed at several hotels that may have had comparable accommodations, but this one had the best service I've ever experienced.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family