“Completely taken care of”

Waldorf Astoria Chicago
Ranked #15 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Baltimore, Maryland
“Completely taken care of”
Reviewed August 15, 2011

This hotel was exceptional in every meaning of the word. The staff could not be more friendly or professional. Upon arrival, I was greeted by a doorman who took care to gather my things and assist me to the front desk. Front desk staff made sure we had weekend plans and, if not, encouraged copious use of the concierge. Our room was spotless, modern, and elegant. Beds were comfortable and snuggly, and the bathroom products were wonderful - smelled great, washed well, etc. Taxi service couldn't have been more convenient - no need to call ahead, we never waited more than 2 minutes to get a taxi after requesting one upon walking out of the front door. The hotel bar, Bernanrds, had fantastic service with bartenders that would make drinks off-menu and a server who insisted on checking in to make sure all was well (but not annoyingly so like some other high-class establishments). Check-out was a breeze and bags were safely stored until later in the afternoon so we were baggage-free while exploring Chicago before our flight. Tipping of attendants was not accepted, 18% gratuity was added to almost all receipts I received from the hotel (room service, bar tab, etc). Taxi to/from O'Hare ~$50 with tip.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed August 15, 2011

Easily one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in anywhere. The flat panel television in the shower was the best surprise feature! The area is not the liveliest in town, but still close enough walking distance that you can reach major sights within 15-20 minutes. All in all, a terrific place to stay. Even on a rainy night! The only drawback was the cost of breakfast. For 2 people, a simple Eggs Benedict with potatoes and coffee ran us an unbelievable $100!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Magnificent hotel. Location, rooms, and most definitely the staff makes this the best in Chicago.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
virginia
Reviewed August 14, 2011

My daughter and I arrived in Chicago at 7Am, went to the hotel expecting to leave our bags at the desk, and they let us have our room! The staff was so gracious and friendly and not a bit pretentious, as one would expect in a hotel of this caliber. Stay there if you have a chance!

Room Tip: I booked through Jetsetter and had a fabulous room
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2011

When traveling to Chicago this is a perfect hotel for location, amenities and information. It is a hotel that fits well with the city and celebrates the urban American landscape. We flew into O'hare airport and spend over a week here. The staff had plenty of good recommendations and there were many rests as well. The beds and the view were great and the room very spacious and quiet. Will stop here next time visiting Chicago U.S.A :)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank jack b
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I stayed at the Elysian in March of this year and have been meaning to write a review since then! I booked a basic room...and there was nothing basic about it! It was the equivalent of a Junior suite (if not full suite) at other high end hotels. It had a separate sitting area with music and TV, a fireplace, a balcony a HUGEEE bathroom, plenty of closet space and of course a good sized bedroom. The service was wonderful and all inclusive..even when I tried to tip after they pressed a tux and a cocktail dress for me they would not accept. I visited the spa (I dont usualy viist hotel spas but was in a rush) and it was worth every penny! Great service.
The location is great, the building itself is very nicely appointed and I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 12, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Elysian for a 'stay-cation,' we both live in Chicago. From the moment we were picked up by the car service we were swept off our feet! The Hotel is beautiful, decorated with sleek modern decor, but also comfortable. All of the employees were extremely friendly, and not at all rude or condescending. I do not believe we are normally the clientale to stay at this pricey Hotel, but they made us feel as though we belonged there just as much as the richest person in the world. I mentioned to our driver that I wanted to go somewhere for dessert after our dinner, but no places would still be open....when we arrived to our room we were greeted with Four cupcakes from Sprinkles!
We also went to the Hotel bar before dinner, and I fell in love with their salty chips, and I was given a bag of chips to take home with me!
And last, but not least the best surprise...after arriving back to the room after dinner, we found a bottle of white wine chilling on the living room table for us to enjoy! The hotel was filled with wonderful surprises, and the whole experience is due to the wonderfully attentative staff! I hope to go back once every year for a romantic 'stay-cation!'

Room Tip: Every room is fabulous!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple