“Great Service, Decent Food”

State and Lake Chicago Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
State and Lake Chicago Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #314 of 9,494 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown / The Loop
Transit: Red Line: State and Lake Brown/Purple/Green/Orange Line: State and Lake Blue Line: Clark and Lake
Description: Led by award-winning Executive Chef Nathan Sears, sleek contemporary gastropub State and Lake Chicago Tavern combines the flare of artisanal American cuisine with the warm, welcoming vibe of a neighborhood pub. Named after the iconic intersection in the heart of the city, State and Lake Chicago Tavern serves up new twists on bistro fare, with an emphasis on featuring the finest locally sourced and wholesome ingredients.
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Service, Decent Food”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Being the evening of St. Patrick's Day, every restaurant we tried for our group of five had a 45-minute wait. Given that it was getting late and my partner and I had to catch a train at 9:30p, we were happy when we found a place that not only had no one waiting by the door, it had lots of open tables. There were a few St. Paddy's Day revellers, but for the most part it looked like any bar/restaurant in a downtown on a Sunday.

The service was quick and attentive. The bar had an extensive beer list, including a lot of local brews (something that I appreciate as I try to get a little of the local flavour when travelling). The menu was a gastropub kind of fare. If you're looking for a basic take on the burger and fries, you'll get it, but you'll pay a lot and miss out on some of the tasty toppings that you can add. I had the burger and it was cooked to order and tasty. I might recommend to the chef to use a little less blue cheese on the burger when someone orders it. I love blue cheeses, but they can get a bit overwhelming. The menu also includes a lot of items to share, including a large "charcuterie" plate, with a few types of cheeses, cured meats, sauces and bread, for $16.

Being at the foot of a hotel and at a tourist nexus (as its name implies, it is at State and Lake, one block from the Chicago River as well as the theatre districts and almost under the L track, I suspect this place sees busier times. When we were there, it was very quiet and relaxed, which is my kind of place.

• Visited March 2013

• Korean first
Frankfort, Michigan
“Go Out of Their Way”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Breakfast last weekend. Wonderful staff. If you don't see something on the menu that strikes your fancy, the kitchen will probably prepare what you would prefer.

Visited March 2013
New York, New York
“great breakfast”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

service can be uneven, one day I had fantastic service, the next it was abysmal. Change of staff?
the pancakes are terrific.

Visited March 2013
Brielle, New Jersey
“Just what I was Looking for!”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

During my Feb 2013 visit to Chicago, I was looking for a breakfast place and so wanted a Bloody Mary. Looking on line, I found that just a short walk from Inn of Chicago, State and Lake offered breakfast.

While I've walked past State and Lake before, this was my first trip inside, and I found it cozy. There were just a couple of patrons that morning, I was greeted warmly, my server was friendly and attentive, and the hash and eggs hit the spot. The Bloody Mary? Both were perfect!

Thanks State and Lake...I look forward to my next visit.

• Visited February 2013
Chevy Chase, MD
“Great pub for drinks & food”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Ate lunch here on an extended business trip and really enjoyed the experience.

There is a great selection of local beers, good wine & drink choices for every season.

The food is better than I expected, with food being more than pub food, although that is the main thrust. I found the house made pickles great, some great dipping sauces for fries and helpful friendly staff to serve it up.

• Visited March 2013