“Small, yes, but who sits in their room all day?!”

Club Quarters Hotel, Wacker at Michigan
Ranked #76 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

We are not club members but booked for a Saturday night because this place was the cheapest and seemed worth a shot. So glad we did! The location is great; near El stops and shopping and great restaurants. Our room was small but it was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was pretty roomy and the shower was nice (hot water, room to move without bumping walls or curtains!). I really liked the purified water stations on each floor. Nice touch! The ceilings are also very high, so the rooms don't feel as small. We had one tiny window that was mostly behind the tv, but we weren't in Chicago to sit in a hotel room! For the price, it was fabulous. I would definitely stay here again. Check-in was fast, and we used the kiosk for check-out which was also fast and a neat idea. They also have adjacent parking which seemed reasonably priced and will hold your luggage after checking out if needed.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 50in50
Write a ReviewReviews (1,561)

Reviewed June 9, 2014

I definitely can't recommend this hotel because they won't even pretend to care if you have a problem after they have your money.

I stayed there because I was attending a conference and the stay was being paid by my employer. I wanted to stay a few more nights (paid on my own) to enjoy Chicago so I went online around a week before my travel to make a reservation and found a good price on Hotels.com with a pre-paid reservation. Less than two hours later I noticed that I had chosen the wrong dates so I immediately called Hotels.com to ask for help correcting the dates given that there was rooms for the correct dates. I was told that given that the reservation was "non refundable" they would have to ask the hotel if they accepted the change because it was their final decision.

I assumed that like in any decent decent hotel they will try to accommodate and help guests that are already paying to stay there so I decided to call directly to the hotel, I explained the situation and what I received was a flat and rude "there's nothing we can do".

Considering that:
- I was calling very soon after the reservation.
- I was already going to stay there and just wanted to extend that stay.
- That the reservation I did was for more than a month in the future so they won't have problems filling the room.
- That they had rooms available for the correct dates.

I insisted in trying to talk with a manager as soon as I arrived to the hotel and again explained everything, she was very nice and told me to ask Hotels.com to call her to find a solution. Well, according to Hotels.com they called and what they were told was that the only solution was for me to pay full price for the correct dates because the reservation was non-refundable and unmodified with no exception.

So now I don't know who's being honest or not, but right now Hotels.com and Club Quarters are taking away from me more than $400 "in a click" in exchange for nothing because it's impossible to me to be there on those dates, and it isn't that I changed my mind but that
I made a honest human mistake.

And to top it off while I stayed there for the conference the room they assigned me had the Air Conditioner broken and after two bad nights, a technician that didn't fix anything and many calls and visits to the Front Desk they only decided to move me to a different room for the last night because I told them that I would sleep in the lobby before having another sweaty bad night.

After the conference I moved to a different hotel in the Magnificent Mile with the same price and breakfast included, and the experience was night and day.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
6  Thank Aixbel
Reviewed June 9, 2014

My mother and I stayed at Club Quarters on Wacker for two nights this month (June 2014), and I was extremely pleased with our stay except for one thing. Our room faced the river and even though it was a beautiful view, the noise level outside was bothersome. Friday night was tolerable. Saturday, however, it seemed there was some sort of event and the party went on until well after midnight, if not a bit longer. I lived for many years in Chicago, so I understand what is to be expected from the downtown area, but you would also anticipate that a hotel would invest a little in soundproofing the rooms a bit better. Aside from the noise, the hotel was immaculately clean, the staff was very friendly and helpful and the complimentary water on each floor and ridiculously delicious complimentary coffee on the second floor were added bonuses. The valet service is a bit expensive at $45.00 a night, but they have you by the short and curlies on that one. The hotel restaurant was accommodating when picking a special meal for my mother, as she has a very strict diet. The food was affordable and delicious. I'm giving Club Quarters an 'Excellent' rating, because I understand the noise outside was not their doing - or something they could control. Hopefully, they will invest in better windows soon.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 6, 2014

While I've visited Chicago many times, this is my first stay at Club Quarters Chicago. I enjoyed the following: a perfect location that was very clean, an efficient & service oriented staff, a comfy lounge for meeting many needs, tasty complimentary snacks & beverages, fun décor, the only sleeper sofa that is actually comfortable and loved the filtered water & bottles provided for guests. This place is a gem. Thanks, Roman, for going out of your way to assist me in finding the best deal on parking. I appreciated your genuine assistance & I could see that you truly cared. This place is amazing!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank daydds
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I am almost reluctant to write this review because already I am experiencing difficulty in booking at Club Quarters in Boston presumably due to the consensus that this place hits the right spot and the attendant popularity! Check in for starters is automated and room cards issued at that point. On booking.com we had asked for and received a room high up with a view, amazingly overlooking the river and Trump Tower. Step out of the hotel and you are a block away from Michigan Avenue, a short walk from the L train and Millenium Park. Basically this place is perfectly located. Add to this a comfortable room, free wi-fi, a lounge with delicious espresso on tap (breakfast bars and fruit too in the mornings), also a printer available and a laundry downstairs (also free) and its simply great! No entertainment and no hovering staff suited us too. We'll be back (if there are ever any rooms available!)

Room Tip: Corner room high up was ideal for us at no extra charge.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank scubafan09
Reviewed June 3, 2014

It is important to understand what Club Quarters is before booking a room here. Club Quarters is a business traveler membership hotel that sometimes offers excess rooms to other travelers. In other words, they are built for the business traveler and not necessarily for the run-of-the-mill casual traveler. With that said, this is an excellent facility within those parameters.

We were in Chicago with a group of friends for Memorial Day weekend and this hotel met all of our needs -- clean rooms, great location, a good room rate and a good atmosphere. If you are looking for a ton of amenities this isn't the place for you. The standard rooms are small and basic, but clean and nice. There is no hotel pool, but there is a decent workout facility. There is a very nice "lounge" on the second floor with seating areas, televisions and a self service coffee area. There is not a hotel bar/restaurant, but there is an attached restaurant that seemed to be frequently used by hotel guests.

The location is just a block off of Michigan Avenue and sits right off the river. You are just a few minute walk from great restaurants, shopping, bars and sights/tours. If you plan to take the L from Midway be prepared for a bit of a journey. A section of the L is under construction so you have to get off and take a bus to the next L stop. Depending on the time off day, this transfer could add another 20 minutes to your commute. Our total travel time during non-peak hours on the L from downtown to Midway was probably about an hour. A cab ride from Midway to the hotel runs about $25 and takes about 20 minutes. The hotel is about a 5 minute walk to the nearest L station.

A good rate is the key to staying at this hotel. If you can get a good rate, then this hotel is worth it. If you are looking for premium hotel amenities then there are better choices for you.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank castillo74
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Seemed a cut above the central loop Club Quarters in terms of room quality. Shower temperature control was a bit wonky but ok. Room remained a bit cramped but generous drawer and cupboard space made organization just fine.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business