“Great music”
Review of Andy's Jazz Club

Andy's Jazz Club
Ranked #9 of 571 Nightlife in Chicago
More attraction details
Owner description: One of Chicago's Best-Known and Most-Respected Jazz establishments, historic Andy's offers casually sophisticated dining with a musical menu of Chicago's top Jazz Artists. Local performers cover a range of styles from Traditional and Swing to Bop, Fusion, Latin and Afro-Pop. Our "Spotlight Performer Series" events showcase some of today's most "in demand" world touring musicians in an intimate setting.
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Great music and really enjoyed the atmosphere. We seat at the tables around the bar and had dessert while listening to music. The chocolate cake was good and the tiramisu was just okay according to my friend. Patrons could be noisy during the music which was distracting and the long breaks that the band took (at least 30 minutes) was a little frustrating as well.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

My recommendation for future visitors and jazz lovers is to just go for the music, not to eat dinner there.
The happiest people we saw were at the bar. Having paid their $5.00 cover charge they were only obligated to pay for their two drink minimum ($5.00 for each draft beer).
We went to an early performance and within an hour had spent $60.00 for the cover charge, 1 coffee, 2 beers, a chicken sandwich and the jazzy combo appetizer. The jazzy combo had been "revised" from its listing on the front window and for $16.00, I have never had anything skimpier (8 tiny bites amounted to $2.00 per bite. All on toast squares, there were 4 tiny bites of beef, 2 crab cakes and 2 bruschetta (tomatoes). The music did not make up for my feeling just ripped off. Won't be back.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

The music was amazing...I could listen to live Jazz every night. There is a $10 cover charge so it's best to go there for a longer period of time. I highly recommend getting reservations so you can get a table. There are usually quite a few on OpenTable. I was skeptical about the food given the great reviews on music but the food was great. The brie appetizer was delicious. Our server was one of the best we have had in a long time.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Went for an early (530pm) show last week. We reached around 5.15 and there were lots of empty bar stools and tables. Cover was 10/person and we were told that we would be only seated if we wanted dinner WITH a 2 hour window to finish it and get out.
Anyways-sat at the bar-which is not to bad. Drinks are reasonably priced and the finger foods at the bar were pricey but excellent. The ambience is great (very Jazzy) and the servers/bartenders were efficient. Acoustics were good and was a Overall a good experience but I since I've had better ones, this will not be my go-to Jazz club in Chicago. For first timers, though, I'd suggest, go ahead try it and see how you like it-Maybe I caught it on a slow day and I promise I'll go to try it out again.
3 stars.

1  Thank Zionman
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Reading the other reviews made me excited to try this jazz club. I'm a huge fan of jazz and the club was just down the street from our hotel. We already had dinner and was going to Andy's for drinks and music. First, I was not happy with the $15 cover charge but thought of it as a charge for the entertainment. The bar is where it all fell apart. Please explain to me why such a staple of Chicago's jazz scene would only have 2 bartenders on a Saturday night??? We showed up in between sets, and people started to head out but still crowded to get up to the bar, waited probably 10 min. Then I scored a seat at the bar. Waited another 10 minutes! When we finally got our drinks and found a seat on the counter next to the windows, it was another 30 min until the band came on. What a waste of waiting especially when it took to long to get another drink and we paid coverage. The band was enjoyable but we were too far to really experience it. Will know for next time to try somewhere else.