“Super friendly, unique stay!”

The Polo Inn Bridgeport U.S.A.
Ranked #9 of 22 Chicago B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We booked our trip last minutes and ended up in a gem of a neighbourhood and in a gem of a B&B. Dave made Chicago seem like home — he woke up every morning to cook us a big breakfast, even waking early on the day I was writing an exam. On the weekends, the Polo's brunch menu is unforgettable — get the creme brulee french toast, you won't regret it. Our room was huge and comfortable, cool even in the heat, and we ended up loving the 'hood for quiet evenings like a few beers at Maria's a cool craft beer bar, a quirky art gallery and a fun takeout pizza place. Dave and Kevin went out of their way to make sure we had a great stay, even driving our passport to the airport when we accidentally left it in the hotel. Oustanding! We won't stay anywhere else in Chicago. The only thing I would like to see changed is having the room cleaned daily.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Crystal L

Reviewed June 2, 2013

In all my years of business and vacation travel, I have never encountered a more enjoyable experience than at Bridgeport Bed and Breakfast. These folks take such pride in caring for their guests. You will be welcomed by friendly, helpful hosts, enjoy truly unique gourmet breakfasts and sleep in clean and quaint comfort. Being a little off the beaten path is part of the charm of this truly wonderful place to stay for work or play. Thank you, David and Kenny!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are more like apartments and you will be happy with any of them.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 22, 2013

What a gem this place is! Dave was the absolute best host, his breakfasts were delish! Our room was very tidy and comfortable. My wife and I got up early Saturday morn walked down to 31st & Morgan for a coffee and took a walk around the neighborhood. Breakfast was served for us after our little neighborhood walk. We had a great laugh at the eggs benedict presentation, very creative! Our flight left early on Sunday and Dave was willing to fix us something to eat early (4am) but we graciously declined his kind offer. The staff was extremely helpful and nice, thanks Adam! For a change from the sterile hotel environment, do yourself a favor and stay here for a little bit of unique Bridgeport flavor! The b&b's parking lot next door is free and many activities and places are close by. Thanks Dave and Kevin for a memorable stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 21, 2013

There were a group of us in Chicago to perform at the Fringe Festival. We stayed at Bridgeport Bnb for two weeks...Dave treated us like royalty......every breakfast was an event.....the food was astonishingly delicious....I will never forget the Eggs Benedictus and his signature dish of creme brulee french toast is a once in a lifetime treat.....Dave is a gracious host and knows so much about Chicago, its history...if we didn't get our morning story from Dave we felt cheated ......Dave also supported us by spreading word about our show......I can't say enough wonderful things about our experience....there is no doubt in my mind where I would stay if I were to visit Chicago again...Thank You Dave!!

Room Tip: These are very unique, eclectic, thematic rooms. They are basically old apartments with great anti...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Eltinge
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I was attending a conference at McCormick Place and stayed here for four nights. It is a $7-$8 cab ride from McCormick Place. This was a great place to stay and a great value. A wonderful breakfast is included. If you are a beer fanatic there is a great neighborhood bar--Marias-- with a fantastic beer selection a couple of blocks up the road. They do not have food but you can bring in pizza from just down the street.
If you need to catch a cab just walk down to 35th street.
The room I had was very spacious and clean. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I was recently in Chicago with my 24 yr old daughter Greylyn, for the last auditions for American Idol, and had a wonderful experience at Dave Sambers Bridgeport Bed and Breakfast. My daughter arrived earlier in the day than I and I recieved an email from Dave saying he was going to pick me up at the orange line stop. I really appreciated him doing this. (Especially at 10:30pm)
The room was great, very clean and spacious, and comfortable. The next morning we awoke and had a wonderful breakfast, and again, Dave offered to take us to the venue in his car, so Greylyn would not have to deal with the bus and train schedule. Awesome. He was such a huge help and a very nice guy.
We stayed 3 nites there at the B&B, and would highly recommend the Bridgeport B&B to anyone staying in the Chicago area.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mike P
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I stayed at the Bridgeport Bed and Breakfast in mid-September with my family in connection with specialist hospital treatment in Springfield, IL for our four-year old daughter. Before flying back to Denmark, we decided to spend an extra night and day in Chicago. As a former student at the University of Chicago I decided to look for something nearby and different in terms of accommodation; not just “another” hotel room and ideally with a bit more “sincere” (Chicago) feel to it. Based on other Tripadvisor reviews we decided to contact Dave Samber (the chef and owner of the Bridgeport Bed and Breakfast) and to make a reservation. At first we were a bit skeptical (we are always like that). What about the location? And the quality of accommodation and food? It turned out that there was nothing to fear at all. On the contrary! We stayed in a spacious suite. The room was perfectly clean, quiet and with brand new carpeting. The beds were very comfortable as well. The location is not bad either. It probably takes about 15 minutes to drive to downtown Chicago. The complimentary parking is a big plus - easy and convenient. However, what makes this place “something different…something wonderful” (as the logo says) it not the quality of the rooms or the location. It is the attitude of the owner and the staff! Before and during our entire stay we felt a very unique, sincere hospitality and attention to detail in order to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. It is worth mentioning that Dave even prepared a wonderful three-course early dinner upon our arrival late in the afternoon despite the restaurant normally being closed at that time. In particular the flame-grilled burgers were to die for. Prime meat and cooked to perfection! Breakfast next morning was also a very special experience with numerous “signature dishes”. Impossible to describe – you simply need to visit and enjoy Dave’s cooking skills! The rest of the staff is also great and very friendly. Special thanks go to Kevin and Buddy (a thirteen-year old beautiful Akita). Would we recommend this place? Yes, absolutely. Will we return? Yes, we very much hope that we will be able to return to the Bridgeport Bed and Breakfast in the not too distant future with the rest of the family (ideally not because of necessary specialist hospital treatment, though). This place truly is “something VERY different….something wonderful”! Thank you, Dave & Co. We had a truly memorable stay!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family