“Maybe had an off night”
Review of Nightwood Restaurant - CLOSED

Nightwood Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Pilsen
Cross street: Cermak
Transit: Halsted Bus route #8 stops right in front, Cermak bus route #21 is also nearby. Orange Line Halsted stop. Walk north.
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I went here after looking at the great reviews and was somewhat disappointed. I felt like a lot of the food had ingredients just for the sake of being trendy/spontaneous without necessarily serving a true taste purpose or pairing. I tried the pig ears appetizer and it just tasted like burnt bacon and was way too crispy. I had the duck liver appetizer and it just tasted like an almond butter spread. I had the new york steak entree ordered medium and it was rare and VERY fatty. My friend had the chicken and it was dry. The specialty ice cream and coffee was good. The service was slow but polite.

There are newer reviews for Nightwood Restaurant

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I have been to Nightwood in Pilsen on 18th street several times now, for brunch, dinner, drinks, late and early. The food is fresh, expertly prepared, creative and always delicious. The staff is helpful and super stylish. And the cocktail recipies are inventive, fresh, fun and also delicious.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

All right, here are my prejudices, right up front. I don't like pretension or snootiness. I do like great service and food. Nightwood has the latter two in spades.

First, the service. Our waiter, Josh, was knowledgable, thorough, and personable. He clearly and cleanly explained the food, guiding us to excellent choices without a hint of condescension. The other waitstaff were equally good and nimble--our water glasses never got close to empty, yet there was no sense of hovering.

The setting was simple, quiet, and welcoming.

But the food, man the food. We started with the fried smelt, an excellent recommendation, although I liked it more than my wife (fried food, you know). But she loved her duck breast, and my spicy pasta was amazing. Just a little bit of chorizo, but the subdued fire of the tastes were exquisite.

We had a raspberry mint sorbet for dessert, and it, too, was top rate. The wine and liquor lists are also good, and Josh helped us with good choices along the way.

My wife and I agree; this is the best meal we have had in Chicago in years. Kudos. Go.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Tips
- reservations for brunch are recommended
- amazing donuts and delicious latte
- vibrant neighborhood to take a walk (interesting museum conce pt)

Pros
- tasty food
- fresh ingredients
- nice decor

Cons
- it's hard to get a table for brunch

We had
- bacon donut and stuffed donut
Both deserve 5 stars. They are delicious.

- veal, arugula and pines
It was tasty but nothing special. I would give it 3 stars.

- prosciutto, biscuit, potatoes and green collards
It was terrific. It deserves 4 stars

- latte
Best I ever had.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Nightwood is the prototypical Michelin Bib Gourmand restaurant. Everything is quite excellent and without pretentious attitude. We were seated at our reservation time (must make reservations, gets very crowded), some in our party had their craft cocktails that were well made. For appetizers we sampled the eggplant and proscuitto. I wouldn't say they are oversized, but enough to share amongst three. Be aware they pride themselves in working closely with local/regional farms, so the menu changes frequently, which is a good thing! Two in our party had the scallops; perfectly prepared, tender, and succulent. Other dish was the pork special; also fantastic. Be aware they have a range of dishes and prices, so NO ONE will get priced out of an entree by any means. I loved this place and feel it is deserving of it's status. Next time i'm in town I would go back!