“Worthy of Bib Gourmand status”
Review of Nightwood Restaurant - CLOSED

Nightwood Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Pilsen
Cross street: Cermak
Transit: Halsted Bus route #8 stops right in front, Cermak bus route #21 is also nearby. Orange Line Halsted stop. Walk north.
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Nightwood is the prototypical Michelin Bib Gourmand restaurant. Everything is quite excellent and without pretentious attitude. We were seated at our reservation time (must make reservations, gets very crowded), some in our party had their craft cocktails that were well made. For appetizers we sampled the eggplant and proscuitto. I wouldn't say they are oversized, but enough to share amongst three. Be aware they pride themselves in working closely with local/regional farms, so the menu changes frequently, which is a good thing! Two in our party had the scallops; perfectly prepared, tender, and succulent. Other dish was the pork special; also fantastic. Be aware they have a range of dishes and prices, so NO ONE will get priced out of an entree by any means. I loved this place and feel it is deserving of it's status. Next time i'm in town I would go back!

Reviewed May 24, 2012

Visiting son in Chicago, and he thought this would be a good choice. Odd area, more than a little seedy. Ok restaurant atmosphere, but incredibly noisy and the chairs were not particularly comfortable.
eclectic menu ... Is that a good thing? trout was too salty, ice cream too peppery. Smelt appetizer wasn't bad, but hard to get excited about smelt.

If you are in the area, OK. but I wouldn't go out of my way, especially for $250.00

Reviewed May 13, 2012

Absolutely worth the drive to this out of the way location. Be sure to make a reservation though since it's not huge and very popular. Hip, comfortable atmosphere with great service and excellent food. It's loud, but tables are spaced apart so you won't have any trouble hearing others at your table. Menu changes with seasonal offerings. Our party thoroughly enjoyed two appetizers: the smelt and asparagus. The waiter helped us select our entrees: the trout, a pasta dish, and duck. Each was cooked perfectly and delicious. We had the plate of cookies and strawberry shortcake sundae for dessert. Very nice selection of wine. Would definitely return.

4  Thank Sue1685911
Reviewed May 13, 2012

We had reservations on a Saturday night at 7:30 and were seated about 10 minutes later - it was packed. We ordered a couple appetizers, a couple bottles of wine, entrees, desert, and coffee. The food was fantastic - everyones! We couldn't have been happier with our restaurant choice.

What I noticed: while the restaurant was full, there was plenty of room between tables (You felt like you had personal space for your group.) - the chairs were so comfortable that I joked I wanted to take mine home with me...haha! - our waiter was friendly, knowledgeable, and available when we needed him - water glasses never went empty.

I would definitely return!

4  Thank Kristen W
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Nightwood Restaurant is really doing it right. It has a hip vibe, creative cuisine, sort or industrial-chic decor - and really, really good food. The kitchen here has it going. They are really talented. Not only that, the prices are more than fair for the quality. If you haven't been yet, what are you waiting for?