“Absolutely wonderful.........”

Magnolia Studios
Cardiff
“Absolutely wonderful.........”
Reviewed September 18, 2009

The kitchen is very spacious and well appointed. Complimentary wine, beers, coke and water waited our arrival in addition to the complimentary toiletries. The apartment has been decorated to a high standard, the supplied laptop with internet proved to be invaluable and the powerful shower was heaven. Also invaluable were the washer and tumble drier.

That the entrance is electronically operated and thus requires no keys is a big plus. It's location on a quiet street and it's proximity to local shops, public transport and nearby Anderson met all of our needs.

Kate (the proprietor) and her husband Ashley are very welcoming and friendly and couldn't do enough for us. All in all, it was a home away from home and would love to return one day. A very definite recommendation.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ruth_nin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Upstate New York
Reviewed September 1, 2009

My husband and I stayed in studio 1 in August while visiting family in the vicinity. The studio was very tastefully decorated, clean, light and cheerful -- a perfect sanctuary for us Everything we needed was there, down to the smallest detail, even paper towels in the kitchenette. Kate and her husband were friendly and very helpful and made us feel very welcome. The neighborhood is charming. We had a rental car to tote family around, and paid $10 more per night to have use of a garage accessible through an alley, which was a good value, since street parking was hard to find. A large car would not have fit into the garage but our rented Chevrolet HHR just fit. We would definitely return!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
St Louis, MO, USA
Reviewed August 15, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Magnolia Studios August 7th - 9th. The property is beautiful, and in a cute neighborhood. In Studio 1, the wood floors are beautiful and the bathroom is fabulous. The shower just helps you get in the "vacation" mode! Also, there are travel size bottles of lotion, shampoo, conditioner, etc for your use. There is a laptop (with an internet connection) in the room for guest's use, which was very convenient, since we normally travel with our laptop, but it was being repaired back in STL. The bed is extremely comfortable! There are dishes if you're going to eat in your room, along with a stove, microwave, and oven. There is tea/coffee/water/coke in the room that you can have whenever at no extra charge. Also, if you have stayed in Chicago and experienced tiny rooms, you will be very pleased to hear that the accommodations are extremely roomy.
You should plan on street parking if you stay here - but there are a few side streets very close to the house where we were able to find a spot to park.
If you make plans to stay here during your trip to Chicago, you will not regret it. The accommodations are great, the location nice, and the hosts are gracious.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
MN
Reviewed August 2, 2009

We simply loved the very new, European comfort and style. Clean, clean, clean! The bathroom, while not large, has beautiful slate floors, sleek modern fixtures, and large comfy towels. Heavenly bedding and mattress. There are many conveniences such as a stove, refrigerator, coffee maker, laptop with internet access, and a view of the enclosed garden. While minutes (seconds?) from Broadway, the studios in the carriage house were off-street, quiet, and private. We are very much looking forward to coming back and we have already recommended Magnolia Studios to our friends and family.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 22, 2009

My husband & I were in Chicago for a short visit in July. This was the first time we stayed at the Magnolia Studios. Apart from being convenient to lots of great restaurants,etc the studio that we stayed in was beautifully done! It was bright & immaculately clean. Added to all of this the very reasonable price made it an excellent choice .We hope to stay again & again when we're in Chicago . I have already recommended Magnolia Studios to friends planning to visit Chicago.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Ona, WV
Reviewed July 18, 2009

As I am about to move to Chicago, I needed to travel to the city for a few days to lock down an apartment. I discovered that Magnolia Studios had what appeared to be the best rate ($99 a night--total, no additional taxes or fees), so I decided to stay there for two nights.

There's nothing to the check-in process. In fact, there really isn't one: before you arrive, Kate (the proprietor) will give you information on how to access your room, which is electronically locked. There are no keys to deal with, so you can just arrive, punch in the code, and enter. Very easy, no-hassle process. When I arrived, Kate and Ashley (her husband) greeted me from the porch of their house, which is in front of the building containing the studios/apartment. They were extremely friendly.

The room itself was a gem. Kudos to the person in charge of decorating the rooms--it was probably the best-looking room I have stayed in anywhere, sporting a non-cluttered, cheerful, and modern layout and design. This really is a fully-outfitted studio apartment that you could live in, honestly, as it has cooking amenities, a fridge, etc. Free wi-fi, a computer, and an HDTV (with satellite hookup) are provided as well.

The location is great for getting to Andersonville and Edgewater by foot, and there's a red line stop only a few blocks away, making travel to the rest of the city a breeze. Magnolia itself is also a rather quiet street, so I often forgot about the fact that I was in such a huge city while in my room.

The room was like a home away from home; I felt almost like I was staying in a relative's guest house rather than in a rented room, as you can just walk to the house in front if you have any needs or difficulties. All in all, this place is a real bargain, and I'd recommend it to anyone not necessarily looking to stay in a ridiculously fancy loop hotel or something along those lines.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Maryland
Reviewed June 10, 2009

My hsuband and I took a 3-day trip to Chicago in mid-May. I found Magnolia Studios on a search for vacation rental units in Chicago. My husband and I were looking for an alternative to the pricey downtown Chicago hotels, as we were on a tight budget . Magnolia Studios was indeed a great find in a quiet neighborhood just north of downtown Chicago.

The owners recently remodeled the carriage house behind their home and converted it into two 2nd floor studios. The studio was tastefully furnished, equipped with modern conveniences, and immaculate. It was so clean and new that it felt like we were the first people to ever stay there. The kitchenette was a great convenience, as we were able to prepare breakfast each morning before heading out. The single-cup Keurig coffee maker was super easy to use, with practically no clean up. The shower was fantastic, with a rainshower head and massaging jets.

The studio is located in a quiet neighborhood in the Andersonville/Edgewater area. Just off the main street, it is just a short walk to many places: the red line train that goes directly downtown, bakeries, restaurants, and shops. There's a 24-hour Walgreens around the corner in case you forgot to pack something, and there's a Target about a mile away. There is free street parking in the neighborhood, but during busy times (like when everyone is at home at night) a parking space can be hard to find.

Overall, I would highly recommend Magnolia Studios. The owners take pride in their property, and are readily avaiable if you need anything during your stay. I would definitely return the next time I am in Chicago!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple