“friendly staff, clean rooms”

Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare
Ranked #132 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
vancouver, bc
“friendly staff, clean rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2008

I stayed at this hotel last weekend and it exceeded my expectations. Check in was very easy, and the person in charge upgraded our room without us even asking. The room was clean, bathroom was huge and clean as well. lots of towels and pillows! the parking was free, which is a great thing. the hotel is very close to the blue line station, so it's easy to get to downtown without a car. I didn't eat at the hotel except for one breakfast which was ok, but not the greatest. still, I can't complain! I really enjoyed my stay and definitely recommend this hotel, great return for the price you pay.

• Liked — staff, cleanliness
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Peoria, IL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2008

I was in town for Chicago's beautiful fall weather. Receieved a great price online and made a weekend of it. My family arrived at the hotel. Check-In was a breeze. Front Desk Staff was pleasant and one was a gentlemen who gave us great directions to Downtown Chicago. He made sure they were simple and easy to understand. Later that night we arrived back to the hotel. Our room was fine, all but the bathroom. The toilet would not flush! We called down to the front desk and spoke to the Manager. She was very rude and sarcastic when we spoke to her. She pretty much told us to deal with it until they could send someone up. The hotel was booked and they could not find us another room. An hour past with nothing. I called back down to talk to the manager but was informed she left for the night without dealing with our room. The gentleman at the desk reassured me that he would take care of the problem. He was able to find us a vacant room, that the Manager said was not available. He saved the night. The rest of our stay was wonderful in beautiful Chicago!

• Liked — Front Desk Staff
  • Disliked — Manager at front desk & broken toilet,
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Chicago hotels

ND
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2008

This hotel was was OK. The front desk staff could really use some training. It seems like they were nice, and tried to be helpful but simply don't have the skills or training.

The rooms were good, roomy, clean and updated. The beds and pillows were great. Was a very nice lobby, great location, and reasonable rates.
There isn't a fan in the bathroom, which was surprising.

The restaurant wasn't good. We had 2 dinner entrees at Mirrors Restaurant, one pasta dish and one sandwich, neither were very good. We were there about 9pm on a Thursday. There was only 1 server, so service was not great either.

It certainly didn't exceed our expections. In fact, I'm not sure it met our expectations either. I guess I've stayed at some very nice Holiday Inn's with fantastic service, so possibly I've been spoiled.

• Liked — The location was good, easily accessible to mass transportion.
  • Disliked — The service.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Fishers, IN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2008

I stayed at this hotel on the nights of June 6 through 8 along with my quiz bowl team for the National Academic Championship. When our team arrived, our coaches got us checked in and distributed the room keys to us, and we proceeded to go upstairs to our designated rooms. (This 11-story hotel has 3 pretty quick elevators, so we never had to wait too long to get from floor to floor.)

We got off the elevator on our floor, 6, which we quickly found out was the hotel’s smoking floor. The smoke smell in the hallway was pretty overpowering. Luckily, our room, 615, was the first room on the right once you got off the elevator. The smell was still perceivable in the room, but it was definitely milder than it was in the hallway. The funny thing about the room was that it was a one-bedroom suite with one queen bed in the bedroom. Since we were already cramming 4 people in each room, we were expecting a room with two double beds. Our coaches talked to the desk staff and found out that it was being taken care of; they were sending a rollaway bed up. So now we had a queen bed, a sofa bed, and a rollaway bed – enough to sleep three of the four of us. Luckily, one of us didn’t mind sleeping on the floor (he said he actually sleeps better on the floor than in a bed or on a couch), so that kind of worked itself out. What I don’t understand is this: the reservations had been in the system for several months (they had probably already been made in late ’07), so how did they run out of non-smoking rooms with two double beds AND non-smoking one-bedroom suites? Did every guest in that hotel for those nights honestly have a reservation dating as far back as the National Academic Championship reservations? (I can only assume that the people in charge of our reservations would have booked us all non-smoking rooms; we’re high school students, after all.)

Besides the issue of cigarette smoke, the room itself wasn’t too bad. There was no wired internet access, but the wireless worked fine, despite being just a bit slow. The furniture was kind of beaten-up but still functional, and the carpet, though really dark and dated, appeared clean. The bathroom was pretty roomy, and the bathtub was perfectly clean. The one thing that grossed me out a little was this: one time when I used a tissue to dry off a drop of water I’d spilled on the bathroom floor, the tissue came up grayish-black, reflecting a poor cleaning job on the part of the hotel’s housekeeping people. The floor didn’t LOOK dirty, but I guess that was an illusion created by the type of tile they used. The moral: wear shoes when you walk into the bathroom. (The bathroom door also had some very weird-looking damage near the bottom of it [see photo], but that’s merely cosmetic and didn’t affect the cleanliness or functionality of the room, so I didn’t really see it as a huge negative.)

The hotel is located very close to the O’Hare airport, which can be really convenient for travelers... until you try to get to sleep. Planes flew right over the hotel frequently, 24/7. The hotel’s noisy, old, window-style air conditioning unit helped drown out some of the plane noise, so I got to sleep after a while. When I woke up, I found that despite the great selection of pillows, the bed itself hadn’t exactly been great on my back. They probably decided to use the same old mattresses that the hotel had been using as a Ramada, which probably date back to the days when it was a Clarion.

We had the only suite out of everyone from our school, so it was basically our meeting place whenever we needed to get together for breakfasts, practices, or just relaxation/downtime. The first two mornings, we had breakfast in the suite; our assistant coach went to Dominick’s (right across the interstate from the hotel) and got milk, juice, doughnuts, bagels, and other items so we could eat right in our room without paying the ungodly $12.95 per person for the basic breakfast buffet offered by the hotel. The in-room mini-fridge and microwave proved very useful for this; we could just store the milk and juice in there until breakfast the next day. The third morning, we did eat at the hotel’s breakfast buffet, which had a decent variety and tasted excellent. I don’t know if I’d call it $12.95 worth of food, as Holiday Inn Expresses offer a wider variety of similar-quality items for free every day, but it was definitely satisfying. We also ate at the lunch buffet at the hotel’s restaurant on the second day; the food was amazing. They offered salad with fresh, healthy-looking lettuce and a variety of dressings; pasta with alfredo and spicy marinara sauces available; delicious well-seasoned grilled chicken breasts that tasted like they just came off the grill; and bread and butter. (I’m probably forgetting something, but everything I had was incredibly good, and I can be kind of a picky eater sometimes.)

One night we thought about taking a swim in the hotel’s “heated” outdoor pool, but it didn’t seem very heated at all – way too cold to swim in, for sure. On the opposite end of the scale, though, were the hotel’s common areas near the meeting rooms on the second floor. I guess the A/C must not have been working or something, but it was ridiculously hot and humid outside the Ontario and Huron rooms. It was just as hot most of the time inside Ontario and Superior A. The other rooms we used (Superior B and C and Michigan) were fine. (We never used the Huron room, so I don’t know about the temperature of that room.) I also swung by the fitness center on the second floor just to check it out, and despite both window A/C units being on their coldest temperatures and highest fan settings, the room felt pretty warm.

Our assistant coach, a Priority Club member, mentioned to us that she wanted to see if she could get the Priority Club points for all of our rooms put on her account. (She wasn’t the one who had paid for the rooms, but the person who had paid for them wasn’t a Priority Club member or just had no interest in getting the points.) I mentioned that I was also a Priority Club member, and she agreed that I’d take the points for my suite and she’d take the points for our group’s other rooms. She managed to get the points put on her account by talking to the front desk. I tried to do so later on, but the woman at the front desk didn’t seem very informed. She told me that it was impossible to give the points to anyone except the person who paid for the rooms, which is obviously untrue, as our assistant coach was able to do that just fine. I feel like she was just trying to get rid of me because I’m “just a kid” (I’m 18 years old, but I understand that some people mistakenly don’t view us as part of the adult community yet); she obviously wasn’t going to even try to do it, despite my telling her about how our assistant coach was able to do this with one quick visit to the front desk, so I had to walk away without the points.

Overall, our stay wasn’t too bad, but if I were choosing the hotel next time, I wouldn’t stay here again. The biggest problem is one that the hotel can’t really help – the location, right under the flight path of loud airplanes going to and coming from O’Hare – but besides that, there are so many little things (cold pool, unfriendly and/or uninformed desk staff, air conditioning problems, dirty bathroom floor, uncomfortable mattress, etc.) that would still keep me from returning.

• Liked — The buffet at the hotel's restaurant, Mirrors, despite being overpriced, had fantastic food for breakfast and lunch (didn't try it for dinner).
  • Disliked — Cold pool; unfriendly (or just uninformed) desk staff; air conditioning problems; given smoking room; dirty bathroom floor; uncomfortable mattress; location near O'Hare leads to lots of airplane noise, day and night.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank chris11828
Rural Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2008

Walked in after a long road trip looking for a night's accommodation before returning to Europe, and - despite the front desk being busy with large corporates (various airline crews checking out), I got a very genuine welcome from the Indian front desk manager and was offered a competitive rate.
Hotel very tidy, with limited signs of good use (i.e. not brand new). My room very good, a lot less noisy than other hotels at O'Hare with a comfortable bed and thoroughly cleaned.
The Moroccan-born bartender does an brilliant job of looking after guests and keeping conversations flowing amongst the various guests around the bar.
The Greek-born food and beverage manager knows the hospitality business, interacts with staff and guests on a very personal level and the concept works. You are really made to feel welcome. Food is above average, some items come from the freezer (they're honest about this), as can be expected in an airport hotel in this range.
When I checked out, the Bolivian shuttle bus driver would not allow me to take a taxi, and insisted on doing a separate run for me.
All in all I'm VERY impressed by this place (based on one night's stay) and - if what I saw is representative of the usual standard - I recommend it thouroughly.

• Liked — The very genuine welcome from all staff.
  • Disliked — Short on 'public' computer terminals (travelling w/o laptop) and only 1 payphone
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
Guangzhou
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2008

When I arrived this place by hotel shuttle from Chicago O'Hare airport, the receiption couldn't find my booking information; it must be some communication mistakes from the online hotel booking agency, however, the receiption still offered me the same room rate. without any hesitation.
My first room was opposit to the crowd road so I felt some concerns, because I knew it would seriouly affect my sleep; so I asked for changing room and they accepted.
Finally, the receiption guy delivered me a big plate of fresh fruits, not sure if this was a complement for my room changing (free of charge).
I spent an excellent night there with free internet, fresh fruit and quiet room condition. I very much appreciated this hotel and would recommend it as a good choice for people who need airport pick up, very soon connection to airport, free-internet, quiet sleeping etc.
Two points need to remind:
1. Although I didn't choose TV movie but they charged me, after my complaint, they cancelled the charges. So be careful for the TV channels, better to check for the detailed Channel information.
2. As the hotel sit close to the road, make sure that you can check the room condition before accepting check in.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
Ottawa, ON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2008

I had a late flight in to O'Hare, so I wanted a hotel close to the airport before heading in to town the next morning. Although this hotel had not been reviewed much yet on here, I decided to take a chance since this hotel is so close to the airport. It was not a disappointment at all. It is only two stops away from the airport on the Blue Line and there is a direct shuttle to and from the airport. The front desk staff was very friendly, even at the late hour that I arrived. The bed was awesome - very comfortable! There was free wireless and the bar in the hotel was open until 1am. Also, the price was reasonable for Chicago, about $110 for the night. If you have a overnight stay waiting for a connection or a late flight in, I highly recommend this place.

• Liked — Close to O'Hare and good price
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicago
O'Hare
Renaissance Chicago O'Hare Suites Hotel
Chicago Marriott O'Hare
#107 of 187 in Chicago
Southwest Side
Quality Inn Midway Airport
Quality Inn Midway Airport
#144 of 187 in Chicago

Been to Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare? Share your experiences!