“Good value, nice location, but definitely not a favorite”

Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare
Ranked #138 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
Texas
“Good value, nice location, but definitely not a favorite”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My take:
Location: Hotel located less than 10 min walk from blue line Cumberland stop, so very accessible to & from airport/downtown even with (light) luggage. A good staging ground for those trying to save money on a Chicago vacation; parking is also free. There are a few restaurants along Cumberland within 'walkable' distance worth checking out, but most are beyond 1 mile mark.
Dining; buffet breakfast was diverse, excellent and plentiful, but not included in standard room rate. If you prepay in room rate, you get a coupon good for the buffet, or $10 face value for any menu choice breakfast. Their in house bar/restaurant is very popular in the evenings but is a hit and miss. I ate there twice, first time food was excellent, second time it was mediocre beyond comparison.
Service: typical of a HI, polite reception and other staff, internet worked well, hot water available, clean towels, decent coffee in room, what more to say?

Room: Was the true downside for this place.Had a cheapish motel feel to it the moment you walk in, crooked socket assembly, open wall outlets with hanging wires, window AC held together with multiple laps of duct tape (and still coming apart), bathroom sink and tub drain painfully slowly, etc. Seems like someone really cut corners on the interior design/construction.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MsafiriTexas
Mirza B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Thank you for your kind review of our hotel on Trip Advisor and thank you for sharing your concerns with us regarding the rooms. We are in process of upgrading our rooms. I hope that we will have the pleasure of receiving you again in the future.
Respectfully,
Mirza

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The biggest positive to this hotel is the value. We stayed here for our vacation to Chicago because all of the downtown hotels were overpriced for Lollapalooza weekend. (We were in town for the Cubs game and Bears Fan Fest.) This hotel is located about a mile from the blue line, so it is easy to get into the city. The CTA station isn't the nicest - you have to walk past a dark, dreary parking garage to get there - but it is convenient. It takes about 40 minutes to get into downtown Chicago.

We arrived at the hotel 2 and a half hours before the official check-in time because we planned to drop our bags and car off before going to the Cubs game, but they already had a room ready for us! It was nice to get settled before going anywhere. The room itself was average. It had a microwave and refrigerator, which was nice. There were a few hairs on the bed, which freaked me out. I did a full sweep for signs of bed bugs, but everything was totally fine. Even though the hotel is close to the airport, the noise of the planes was not very noticeable. The staff here was very nice and friendly. They helped us with directions a couple of times, and they were accommodating.

The most exciting thing that happened during our stay at the Holiday Inn was meeting the WWE wrestler Kane. That was cool.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Thank you for your great comments about our hotel on Trip advisor website. I was especially pleased with your comments about our service and the staff. We look forward to welcoming you back soon to our property.
Clark, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Stayed here for a night while on a ballpark tour and we enjoyed the hotel. Front desk was helpful with train info and a train station is right across the street. Rooms were clean and quiet. I'd stay again. Wish they offered free breakfast. :(

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank therockof89
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Thank you for your kind review of our hotel on Trip Advisor Website. We are glad that you enjoy your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon to our property.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Thank you to the excellent shuttle drivers and to the staff that calmed my worries after I overslept and missed my flight! All good at THIS Holiday Inn. Thank you to a super staff and great housekeeping team...this is one of the cleanest spots I've ever stayed in. Hat's Off to the Front Desk Team that worked on 8/7/2013 in the AM!

• Stayed August 2013
Mirza B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Thank you for your kind review of our hotel on trip advisor website. We are glad you enjoy your stay with us. I am especially pleased with your comments about our associates that they made you feel welcomes and make your stay pleasureable. We look forward to welcome you back soon.
Pontiac, Michigan
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Had a quick addition over the weekend and needed an place to stay over night. After seeing other people coming in and out with their reservation, i felted unsure and starting to think that this place was a full too but Freddy and Esmeralda welcomed me and my friends with open arm and hooked us up with two room for the night, even without a reservation. With smiles and kindness from them, I felted as if this place is a place that I would gladly come back to when ever I'm in town again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Mirza B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
I beg to state that you mention that you enjoy your stay with us. I was especially pleased with your comments about our associates and the fact that they made you feel welcome and well taken care of. I hope that we will have the pleasure of receiving you again in the futire.
Indiana
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights for a quick Chicago trip. I had read the reviews here before making the reservations, so at check-in, when I saw a girl with a name tag of "Danielle", it felt like someone I knew was at the desk. I mentioned that it was my first time in Chicago, and not only did she give coupons for all 4 of us to have the breakfast buffet both mornings, she also gave me great instructions on making my way to the Blue Line, and what to do once we got there.

We were on the 11th floor, in a 2 bed executive. While it was not the fanciest hotel I have ever stayed at, it was clean, and when I called for more towels, housekeeping was on the ball. We did take advantage of the breakfast buffet, and it was good.

We were not troubled by any noise at all, and checkout was a breeze. I would certainly recommend this hotel, and stay here again.

I would like to say that some of the reviews here are a little confusing as to the proximity of the Cumberland station. It's not terribly far, but given the construction going on in front of the hotel that impacted the walkway, we found it easier to just drive to the $5 parking garage, leave the car, and know that it would be waiting for us late at night.

Room Tip: If you are like me, and would rather spend most of your money on adventures instead of acommodations...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Thank you for the kind review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. We are glad that you enjoy your stay with us. Thank you again for your comments about our staff and the fact that they made you feel welcome at our property. We look forward to see you again in the future.
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stayed here while we had a quick trip visiting a couple tourist sighs in Chicago. Hotel is older - could be updated. Stayed on the 9th floor facing East and had a nice view of the Chicago skyline and planes landing. Plane noise was not a problem when they were landing. Usually stay at Holiday Inn Express so wasn't use to having to pay for breakfast if you had more than one person in the room. It really wasn't much better than the free breakfast. Room was clean - bed a little worn and soft. My mother had an issue with her key on second day and manager was quick to take care of it after other desk staff told us we had to come down and get a new key which didn't work either. Overall decent hotel, had just stayed two days at H.I. Express in Wisconsin and was just a little disappointed in both hotels - not sure if H.I. will get our business next trip.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Mirza B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor Member,
Thank you very much for your kind comments on Trip Advisor website. We are glad that you enjoy your stay with us. I hope that we will have the pleasure of receiving you again in the future.

Mirza
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicago
O'Hare
No photo provided
Chicago Marriott O'Hare
#105 of 190 in Chicago

Been to Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare? Share your experiences!