“Depends on your need”

Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare
Ranked #140 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I had a late flight into O'Hare and needed a close place to crash for the night. This Holiday Inn on Cumberland worked out for us. Free parking is good, and they have a real restaurant, Bar Louie, vs. a bad generic place, so that is a plus. The hotel as it self is just OK. No frills. It's clean and the bathrooms in the rooms are updates. I also liked that we had a microwave and a "big" small fridge in the room if needed. Vending machines took coins or credit cards - no bills. I found that strange, but no big deal. My only real issue is that the windows are not well insulated. Since you are right on the flight path for O'Hare you can hear the planes landing all day / night long. Though the airport does slow down between 11 pm and 5 am.

If you are coming in from the City or headed downtown, this location is very close to the Blue LIne's Cumberland stop. Depending on the amount of luggage you have, it's an easy walk. They do have an airport shuttle - but I did not use it at all.

All in all, this hotel is what it is. A typically Holiday Inn with a nice restaurant - sports bar really. Tons of TVs. Oh, I did get free breakfast, or as my father-in-law says, "it was included in the price."

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank mpauli
Jonathan B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

It is all about the amenities, mpauli! We hit a lot of high points with you during your stay and I do see that we have a couple areas of improvement we need to hit. But you loved our location, restaurant, and our breakfast. I would love for you to be our guest again, so we can really WOW you. Thank you for your review and we look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

The hotel is ok. it needs some major refurbishment. as a PC platinum member I did get a nicer room on the top floor. The breakfast buffet was good. The bar is nice although one bar tender need to refrain from making judgements about people based on statements the customers make about certain cities. The tap beer selection was excellent.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank danderism
Reviewed March 18, 2013

After a cancelled flight and a crazy set of events at O’Hare, we were provided accommodation at this facility (note, not a hotel). Although the staff were courteous, the location was not very pleasing in terms of the actual rooms. Noises throught the bathroom vents - yep, you could hear people "down there"?? We were there for a very short stay and were happy to leave. I was a little peeved when I asked for a taxi and he ordered a limo service, who do not like credit cards. Well I guess I will not be back if I ever need to stay near the airport. From the outside OK, inside, it needs some serious work.

Room Tip: Not hear the elevator
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you ossieosborn for taking the time to write us. It seems like your day overall was very hectic due to your flight cancellation. Our staff definately trys to ensure that all of are guests are in a nice warm bed at the end of the night. I hope you had a better rest of your trip and got home safetly. If you do decide to come to Chicago and are in the area I would love for you to be our guests again and hopefully under better terms.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Had 2 rooms for 5 nights and 1 room for 2 nights (5 people). Front desk staff very courteous. Checked in on 3/11 and on 3/14, there was a large conference at the hotel. After being away from the hotel for the majority of the day, we returned approximately 5 PM and were unable to find a parking place anywhere on the hotel property. The lot in front of the hotel was full with every space both legal and illegal was full. The garage and the parking deck on the property was also full, with vehicles parked illegally in handicapped spaces (no visible handicapped plates or placards) and in clearly marked fire lanes and in front of fire dept standpipes. This is a major safety violation and management does not appear to show any concern for the safety of the hotel guests. The closest off property parking was over 3 blocks away, as the neighborhood parking by the hotel is restricted by residential permit only. Violators were subject to ticketing and or towing. Numerous hotel guests that were attempting to check in and I, voiced our "displeasure" to the front desk staff. They were most apologetic and courteous, but offered no solution to the problem. Suggested that we all just wait until the conference was over and that the parking probem should be resolved. I left the property for a few more hours and returned to find the situation was still the same. After parking over 3 blocks away, I hiked back to the hotel and asked to speak to the Manager on Duty. He offered no resolution to the problem, but was most apologetic and courteous. I can't help but wonder how they'll get repeat business, if this is the way paying guests are treated. Courtesy and apologies only go so far. M.O.D. did not even seem concerned that vehicles were illegally parked in handicapped spaces and in fire lanes and in front of fire dept standpipes on the property. I did notice later, that a Chicago Fire Dept Chief approached the lead of the valet parking group and asked why there were vehicles parked in the clearly marked fire lanes and in front of the standpipes. I don't know the outcome of the encounter, but there were parking spaces available later that evening.
Regarding the climate control, there was no happy medium. The controls on the heating unit appeared to be defective, as it was either too hot or too cold, even after multiple attempts to adjust the controls. There was also a terrible draft of outside air (cold) from around the heating unit. This matter was also discussed with the front desk staff and they assured me that they would have property maintenance look into it.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Dennis S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Dennis S,

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Check-in was smooth, staff friendly, food in Bar Louie was great, but not the service. Would have appreciated a complimentary breakfast, but that was not available.

Returning from a month in Mexico, my biggest priority was a comfy bed with good pillows. Holiday Inn delivered.

We appreciated the free airport shuttle, but had a long wait at the airport for it to arrive. Make sure you're taking the correct Holiday Inn shuttle as there are several.

The hotel is dated, but the rooms are clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CanadaFlygirl

CanadaFlygirl thank you for your keen eye to detail. We at the Holiday Inn focus on friendliness, efficency and, most importantly, being at your service! I want to assure you that we almost completed the refresh of our hotel, so that we can provide the most enjoyable overall experience to all our guests. Thanks again for your kind words and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We recently stayed at the Holiday Inn O'Hare after missing a flight. The desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Room was comfortable, although we would have appreciated extra blankets. Breakfast buffet was tasty, set up in an attractive lounge area. My only real negative comment regards the shuttle transportation to the airport. We had to catch an early shuttle and were told to be in the lobby by 6:30AM. I entered the lobby at 6:25AM and it was empty -- a crowd was already outside boarding the shuttle. As my mother and I tried to board we were turned away and told brusquely that the shuttle was full. The shuttle only ran every 45 minutes, so this put us in a bind. There was an older man in the lobby who, it seemed, had been anticipating this situation. He told us he had a taxi and could take us to the airport. He pointed to an unmarked sedan in the driveway. I told him no -- I thought unlicensed jitneys were illegal in Chicago(?). But when I asked the desk clerk to call us a cab she said, "There's a cab driver right there" (pointing to the older man). I asked her whether unmarked taxis were legal and she said yes. We ended up splitting the ride with another passenger, which somewhat lessened my concern about being "taken for a ride" (so to speak). However I was not entirely comfortable with the situation. The fact that the jitney driver had been waiting in the lobby suggested that the overloaded shuttle situation may have been common. I wish we had been warned of this possibility so we could have made our own backup transportation plan.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 321Blastoff

321Blastoff we appreciate your kind words about the staff of the hotel. I have forwarded your comments to my staff and I want to ensure you that we would never put you in a situation where you would have been taken advantage of. Our guest is the first and foremost thing on our mind! Because of your comments, we are re-working our drivers schedules to ensure that we have enough coverage during our peak hours. Thank you for your input and we look forward to accomodating you soon!

Reviewed March 11, 2013

This is an older, remodeled property 15 minutes from Ohare airport. The rate was okay, $118 with tax for a king bed. The check in was a little slow but the clerk was very pleasant.

Nothing stands out as exceptional - good or bad.

For an overnight waiting for a flight it has the benefit of a bar/restaurant on the premises - Bar Louie.

No complaints. No plaudits.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Jonathan B, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

You know alyork, they say no news is good news, but in the hotel industry we want to make a bang with our guests! Thank you for taking the time to respond in travelocity and I will take your comments relook at ways we can wow our future guests.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chicago
O'Hare
Renaissance Chicago O'Hare Suites Hotel
Chicago Marriott O'Hare
#109 of 192 in Chicago

Been to Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare? Share your experiences!