“Clean, great staff, great bar - terrible nights sleep”

Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare
Ranked #137 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
GA
“Clean, great staff, great bar - terrible nights sleep”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Quick train ride from ORD. Fitness room was acceptable and clean- good TV- 1 TM, 1 EL, 1 Bike, and home gym. Staff friendly. Bar Louie great place to grab a drink and very active nightly. Clean room, attentive housekeeping. Issue I had was the bed, possibly the worst I have ever slept on... or in this case could not sleep on. Beds were incredibly firm and not up to par for rest of Holiday Inns I have stayed at in past. Will avoid this HI in future because of bed issue- they are in dire need of mattress upgrades.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chicago O'Hare, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Leisuretravel00,

We appreciate your feedback regarding our property. I am delighted you were satisfied with our fitness room, the bar as well as the service you received from our staff and your room accommodations. I apologize that you encountered some issues with the bed. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Orlando, f
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Easily, the best part of my stay was how friendly the staff were. From the front desk to the restaurant, every one was very pleasant and went out of their way to make my stay a good one. The room I stayed in was decent, but think it could definitely be touched up a bit. All in all, though, I would recommend this hotel, mostly due to the great staff that works there.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Vernon Rockville, Connecticut
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed at this Holiday Inn for 4 nights and had a great time. The Blue Line metro is a 3 minute walk away allowing for a 30 min subway ride into downtown Chicago. I stayed her with my fiance because it is a minutes walk to a USMLE step2 location which is great for med students taking the exam in Chicago. Overall the room was great but the AC unit was a little loud and kicked in and off very frequently which was a little annoying. There is a great bar/lounge on the ground floor which was perfect for grabbing food or a drink. This is a great pick for staying out of the downtown area while having easy access to public transportation into downtown.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. The price was great because they chose my bid on Priceline ($65 per night) which is awesome for Chicago. I called the front desk upon arrival of our flight and was given directions for the pickup location from Ohare airport. A short walk and about 15 minutes later a Holiday Inn shuttle arrived. The hotel is about a 10 min ride from the airport. Check-in went smoothly and the staff allowed us to check-in early. The room was nice, updated, flat-screen tv, refridgerator, and microwave. There is a restaurant/bar on site that you can order room service. It was okay...I had the cheeseburger sliders and fries.

The next day, the front desk staff (female) was not as pleasant as the first day (male). Sorry not sure of their names. We called to the front desk because our tv was not picking up the movie station. We were told someone would come; however no one ever showed up until we called a second time about an hour later. Also when trying to get the shuttle to pick us up the front desk (female) advised us that they would not be able to pick us up given it was only a mile from the hotel. Well the shuttle service on the website states they pick up and drop off in a three mile radius and this was not a problem on our first day.

There is a CTA transit station (L train) located about a mile or less from the hotel. Although it is close the busy intersection makes it interesting to cross. We often asked the shuttle service to take us over. However, trying to get them to pick us up was often a lost cause. So consider if you are willing to walk at night.

We could hear the airplanes passing by. However this wasn't a problem for us because we rarely stayed in our room. FYI: there is a casino in Des Plaines, IL called Rivers Casino for those of you who like to gamble. It was a quick and easy trip. Just take the L train to Rosemont (which is the next exit from the hotel) and wait for the shuttle from the casino. It comes about every 15 minutes. It is free and it will take you back.

Overall, this is a decent hotel, with comfortable beds, nice decor, good amenities, and a great location. We did not go to the pool but we checked it out. Needless to say the pool did not have any water in it. Improve on customer service and this would be a great hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hagerstown, Maryland
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I recently went to Chicago for some computer training and this Hotel was used and recommended by the training vendor. I found it to be great and had no issues. It was close to OHaire airport and the shuttle picked us up. There seemed to be a little confusion as there are several Holiday Inn shuttles. The training room was comfortable and we had a buffet dinner and lunch there and the food was wonderful Couldn't have asked for anything better. It was so nice to have everything provided on site and the banquet staff was extremely helpful. They had a bar and restaurant at this facility and again we had breakfast there one morning and drinks there one night and I found it to be satisfactory. The rooms were cozy, the air conditioning worked great, but my roommate froze and there was little to cover up with. A very light comfort was on the bed.
We wanted to use the pool, but it was being renovated and apparently has been under construction for a while. It would have nice if they advised us of this factor at the time of reservation. We were told it was within walking distance of alot of things, but I didn't see much within walking distance. We were close to the metro and decided that take that downtown. Which proved to be a 20-30 minute ride. The front desk, was very NOT helpful with directions or recommendations. I was disappointed with that and they didn't seem to know some basic info about whether we were to receive food vouchers with our group. I overall had a great experience and would not hesitate to return to this facility. Again I found it to be a great meeting place, and slept as well while there.

Lebanon, Tennessee
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Background is important: I'm 61, been in Milwaukee all week and wanted to go home. I left Milwaukee Thursday around 5:00 PM. Traffic was a mess - normally 1 1/2 hour drive, but yesterday it was a mess. 3 hours later arrive at what I thought to be my hotel (Holiday Inn and Suites). The attendant, Kevin I believe was his name, tried to find my reservation, but couldn't. After reviewing my copy of the reservation, he identifies I'm at the wrong place - I needed to be one block over. He immediately read my face - tired - hungry - limping from a foot injury, and knowing the courtesy van just left, told me to please stay at the counter. He was going to do something. What happened was that he called where I was to stay, explained the situation, and both agreed to cancel my reservation there and he put me up in a great room for a reduced cost. He did that without one word from me - I never even got a chance to complain. I had a wonderful night's sleep in clean and attractive suite for a great price. You can bet with service like that, it needs to be recognized. Hat's off to a great hotel and staff. I'll definitely stay at HI!

urns out I arrived at the Holiday Inn! I'd been on the road for 3 hours from Milwaukee, as traffic was a mess. I was tire

2 Thank Jim S
Mount Sterling, Kentucky
Reviewed August 15, 2012

This is a nice hotel, very updated and good location to the airport but it was a weird night with all the noises. It's close to the airport and all so it was a restless night. I wasn't too thrilled that they put a hold on my credit card when my company had paid for the room, as they did not do this to all my coworkers.

Room Tip: Corner suite was very spacious, bathrooms are a nice size and you get a fridge and a microwave.