“Good value if you book at the right time. New hotel”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown
Ranked #70 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed May 17, 2010

This hotel is less than a year old and the newness is one of its best features. I've stayed there many times over the last few months. Check in usually goes fast and is friendly, except for one staff member who always seems to be put out to be having to do check in. All the other staff is wonderful.

Rooms are modern and I personally love the fact that the showers are walk in with no tub, but I know that some people love hotel tubs.

Desks are huge, which I really appreciate. Their is wired internet that is free and it has always worked. It is fairly slow access in the evenings, though.

I've twice been assigned rooms which had no yet been cleaned -- they were still in the same shape as when the previous guest checked out. I've also found random items from previous guests in the fridges and in the bathrooms on more than half my stays. I find that sort of lack of detail a problem at the location and have mentioned it a couple of times to the front desk, but don't see much change.

Speaking of cleaning, the maids here start cleaning rooms very early, even before 8AM. So be prepared and awake, as they are fairly assertive in wanting to get into your room, often waiting until you go for breakfast to swoop in. I have to leave the Do Not Disturb hang tag on my door for my entire stay to fend them off in the early hours.

The breakfast is nicer that many "free breakfast' hotels, but the staff there start blocking off access about 20 minutes prior to closing and stop filling food items shortly after, even upon request. You've been warned. Arrive early and finish eating about 30 minutes before the closing time. One great thing is that they supply soy milk, which I drink. A+ for that.

The coffee in the breakfast area is undrinkable, but fortunately there is a Starbucks across the street and a cafe just off the lobby. This is one of the few hotels in its class that does not supply coffee/tea throughout the day. There is a coffee maker in the room, but they do not restock the coffee during your stay. There is no bottle opener in the room and only one for the whole hotel. So come prepared.

One warning - most restaurants in this area close very early, some just after lunch/work hours. I tend to work late and struggle to find anything close by to eat after 7 PM. I hear that pizza delivery or 7-Eleven is your only choice within a few blocks.

Finally, parking is expensive (as it is at all downtown hotels) and if you want in and out privileges, you have to park at the hotel garage next door. However, on check out day if you stay past noon, you have to pay for two days on that last day, which amounts to $65 for parking for that day.

2  Thank FreqTravelerChick
Write a ReviewReviews (1,198)

Reviewed May 13, 2010

Hotel is very clean and newly renovated. I think if you are on a budget it is a great deal. Looks to be half the cost of surrounding downtown hotels. However, I will say the bed is pretty hard at which I did not sleep well. Two other collegues said the same thing. Staff was very friendly and location was ideal.

1  Thank JessNcity
Reviewed May 10, 2010

We have stayed in many hotels but this is my favorite. The staff bends over backwards to help you out. They have been very accommodating to us. The continental breakfast in the morning gives you several options. We can walk to numerous places to shop and eat. Love the location. We have really enjoyed Chicago and this hotel has made our stay exceptional great.

Reviewed April 26, 2010

Stayed here for three nights with my spouse, and will definitely return. Room was *immaculately* clean and spacious, with nice amenities (comfortable desk chairs, free wireless, nice television, mini fridge and microwave, etc.)

Shower was fantastic (large, with great water pressure), although I would've preferred to have had a bathtub, as well.

The complimentary breakfast, while nothing to write home about, was more extensive than one might expect at a similarly priced hotel.

Finally, the location is great (less than a block from the "loop"), and I doubt you can beat the price for such a clean room in downtown. The downside to the location is that, since it is in the financial district, most nearby shops and restaurants close quite early.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed April 24, 2010

This hotel is sandwiched between skyscrapers in beautiful downtown Chicago. Its just a few blocks to many cultural hotspots and 2 - 4 blocks from two L stops. Location-wise, you can't ask for too much more, but be aware that there isn't much nightlife in this area.

The hotel itself appears to have been recently renovated, and I was pleasantly surprised by how new and modern the interior is. The free breakfast was better than I've had at other hotels of this class, and free Wifi was a nice perk.

On the downside, we found stains on the linens on both beds and placed the "please change the linens" card on both beds as instructed, but the linens were not changed. The walls are also incredibly thin - you'll hear whenever someone shuts a door or the elevator dings.

For the price, this is really a great find.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 18, 2010

My sister and I recently stayed at the hotel while visiting Chicago to see American Ballet Theatre perform at the Civic Opera House. It's been a while since we've been to Chicago and searching for a hotel in a good location and close to everything that we wanted to see and do during our short time in the city was a bit difficult at first. We finally decided to book this hotel due its proximity to the Opera House and also to Union Station. After staying at the hotel we highly recommend it for anyone traveling to Chicago, for business or pleasure. The hotel rooms look exactly like what is featured on La Quinta's website - they have been renovated and are very modern. The bathroom has hardwood flooring and a walk in shower (no tub) encased in glass. The room was a good size, not at all cramped. The beds were full size, no double queens available, but were clean and comfortable. The flat screen TV was nice but channels were limited, no HBO. The room we were in was on the Franklin street side and at night I did not notice any extreme street/city noise problems. The staff were friendly and on our check out day they let us store our bag in their luggage room while we went off shopping to Michigan Ave. The breakfast is pretty standard, not outstanding. It has the usual continental items - fruit, yogurt, cereal, milk, juice, coffee, muffins, breads & bagels, scrambled eggs, sausage & bacon and waffles. We did have to go up one floor to get ice and the business center is located on the lower level which was a little disconcerting. As far as restaurants around the hotel, it is connected to Argo Tea, there's a Starbucks across the street, there's also a restaurant called Pot Belly's across the street. There's also a cafe that's connected to the hotel but I can't remember the name of it. There's a Jimmy John's Deli and a Dunkin' Donuts around the corner. Unfortunately a lot of these places were closed after our event, which ended around 10 pm. We took a cab to Water Tower Place on Michigan Ave and the fare was around $10 not including a tip. We felt comfortable walking to the Civic Opera House and also to Union Station to catch our train home. The area is well populated during the day with business people and tourists alike. The one recommendation I can make is to improve the doors to the rooms. They looked like they were steel doors but they didn't feel as secure as I would have liked. As a person who is also employed in the hospitality industry (I work in hotel sales), I came into the hotel with a critical eye and I was pleasantly surprised by the experience.

• Stayed: April 2010
Reviewed March 30, 2010

This hotel was awesome....it was located right downtown...hence the name chicago downtown....it was right next to the parking garage which was 72.00 to park for the two days and just a block away from the Willis (sears) tower...there was 4 of us all together and we split the cost of the room, the only bad thing about it was the double bed rooms were really only double beds so it was a close sleep...on other reviews i seen they had glass stand up showers, we were placed in a handicap room so we had a bathtub and shower..the bathroom was huge which was great they had hardwood floor in the entry way and the bathroom...flat screen tv, a computer desk with a very comfortable chair....huge window over looking the city...the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful giving us directions and recommendations on where to go eat and travel throughout the city....which we bought a 1 day pass to travel on the bus or the train for 5.75...what a great deal...we didnt go to the pool but we did look in on it and it is a very small hot tub and pool..the morning breakfast was really good but it was kind of a poor set up there were long lines for everything and there wasnt very many places to sit down...they also had pop machines on the first second and fifth floors, the last day i was ill and wanted a sprite my husband had to go to each one just to find one...finally the last one he went to he found sprite which took his money, the front desk did give him his money back and he was able to get me a sprite...the one thing about the city we didnt like was everything seemed to close early, a lot of places closed at 5 to 8pm....which im sure is because it is probably a business city and they do a lot of monday-friday 9-5 sort of thing...other then that it was a great weekend...

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends