La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown
Ranked #70 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed August 15, 2009

We were Chicago first-timers, and lucked into a great rate ($116/night) for this hotel on Travelzoo. Hotel is easily accessed from the Interstates, and then you are right in the middle of things...we walked to State St, Sears Tower, Millennium Park and Chicago Art Institute. Rooms are shiny and new, with very stylish comforters and outfittings. Wifi worked great. Breakfast was very good. Staff was friendly. Parking was expensive, at $36 per night, but we parked in a public garage two blocks away and only paid $22 per night. We requested a high floor and so didn't hear any traffic noise. I was puzzled by the person complaining about the shower stall...you just turn the shower head toward the wall before turning the water on; that way you can easily adjust the water temp. Great hotel overall.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,194)

Reviewed August 7, 2009

The minute I walked in the doors I knew this was a great , clean hotel..Rooms are very Contemporary, beautiful bathrooms and very comfortable king size beds..It is a 5 minute cab ride to the Magnificent mile ( although you could walk , it could take a while) , You can see the Sears tower from your room. I loved that they provided a complimentary breakfast in the morning , swimming pool, exercise room and computer access. The only thing I did not like was you have to pay for parking ( around $30/day) Other than that this place is awesome for a business or leisure trip to Chicago.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2009

I spent one night here, while in Chicago for a business trip. I believe the hotel just recently opened, so everything seemed pretty new.

The check in was quick and easy, and Leo the doorman was very friendly. My room was clean and comfortable, especially the bed. I loved the FREE wireless internet service (nowadays, far too many hotels gouge for that) and the FREE breakfast was more than sufficient. I had dinner with an old high school buddy, so I can’t speak to the restaurants, but Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts were in close proximity.

The best thing about the hotel? My room rate was $116/night, which is pretty hard to find in downtown Chicago! The hotel was an easy train ride from Midway (at $5.50 round trip, why take a cab?) and the walk from the El, depending upon which station you exit, was just a block or two.

The only flaw was my failure to ask for an “inside” room. Chicago is an all night town and the street noise was a little irritating for this fairly light sleeper. Overall, a good stay and I would not hesitate to return to this La Quinta.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank doormold
Reviewed June 11, 2009

I checked in this hotel late on 11:00 PM the usual check-in time is 3:00PM.When I checked in I have told the front desk that I will be checking out late which they made a note.I was told specifically that they charge for a night.Now when I see my credit card bills it seems they have charged for 2 nights.Now they are giving excuses that the late check-out cannot be so late (10:00 PM) at night.My question is they could have informed me earlier that I need to pay for an additional night.Infact I could have stayed an additional night.This is a trick to eat money as
they have the credit card number to do anything.Never ever stay here.Be very cautious to stay in these type of hotels.Its better to give a penny to a beggar rather that to the money making attitude these hotels have. I have read different reviews that La Quinta is famous to snach money from the common people this way.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank JKS2009
Reviewed June 6, 2009

We ended up staying at La Quinta in downtown Chicago over Memorial Day weekend after our originally booked room via Hotels.com Hampton Inn wasn't available, due to some snafu of communication between Hotels.com's servers and those of the Hamton Inn.

Though everything in this hotel was brand new, and the front desk staff were very kind and friendly, we were very disappointed by the value we felt we received during our stay given the price to quality of experience ratio.

The walls of our hotel room were exceptionally thin, as we could clearly hear the casual conversations of the family staying next door to us. The room was extremely dry, such that each morning of our two night stay we awoke dehydrated with our eyes red and our faces puffy. Not an exciting experience nor sight! ...lol. We requested foam pillows (in lieu of the feather pillows provided) due to allergies, but none were available during our stay. The bathroom was very spacious, however the design of the shower stall (no tub) baffled us. Due to the positioning of the glass entry door in relation to the on/off/hot/cold knob within the long rectangular shower stall, one had to fully step into the shower in order to turn it on, thus getting immediately soaked with cold water. I jumped out the first time, only to realize that I couldn't reach far enough in to adjust the water from warm to cold, without again having to step completely into the stall. The problem could have been remedied were the door installed on the opposite/shower head side of the stall. It's a shame no one thought of that.
Breakfast was a little frustrating on our first morning. They've set up a very cool make your own waffle station, however positioned it at the entrance to the breakfast room. There was a constant thick crowd of guests crowded around the station waiting for their waffles, which made it very difficult to actually get into the breakfast room. The assortment of bagles, cereals, yogurts, fruits, etc. were completely satisfactory, however the staff on the morning of our stay were extremely slow in replenishing things when they ran out. I was able to access the cereal, but had to wait 15 minutes for more milk to be brought out, and then realized that the spoons were all gone too. We tried to dine in the breakfast room on the next morning of our stay (Memorial Day Monday) and were told by the front desk staff that on weekends and holidays the breakfast room stayed open until 10am, but to our dismay, they closed the room up at 9am that morning like a normal Monday (we showed up at 9:30am to an empty space). We accepted our fate of no breakfast, but still wanted a cup of coffee. We were suprised to learn that the hotel didn't keep out a coffee pot/tea station like most other hotels we'd be accustomed to staying within.
All-in-all, a mildly frustrating, uncomfortable stay at La Quinta. Not worth the rates ($430 for a two-night stay) that we were charged, given what they offered.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robinb79
Reviewed June 3, 2009

The pricing coupled with the newness and the location, make this a comfortable value.

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed May 29, 2009

I enjoyed my one night stay. I was in Chicago on business and this new La Quinta gave me what I needed for a comfortable stay away from home. The hotel is very clean and the staff was attentive and friendly. I liked the wireless internet in the room which worked great and was included in the rate. I paid $113 which is excellent for a modern, good-sized room with breakfast in a very good location in downtown Chicago. I highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay there again if in town on business or pleasure.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business