“Got an upgrade”

Ranked #90 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Helsinki, Finland
“Got an upgrade”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

I'm writing this review based on a stay in July 2013.

I had initially booked a "Double Bed Room" (or are they single rooms?), but they are quite tiny, don't have a stand-in shower, seem to be next to the noisy elevator and are not really worth it. In July all American hotels are really expensive, and the "Excellent" value rating I gave only applies after the upgrade.

I inquired about the possibility to change rooms after the first night (elevators 'pling-plong'-ing all the time) and I was upgraded to a high-floor Mini King Suite with a desk, couch and city view!

PROS

+ Location (next to Willis Tower, Millennium Park, multiple EL train stations, shopping on State) but only if you like Downtown.
+ Free upgrade to "mini King suite" (I think) when I complained about the noise. Bathroom also had a proper stand-in shower, some rooms don't.
+ Great HD cable.
+ An empty fridge, microwave, coffeemaker, ironing.
+ A business center with free printing (useful and not a given), a fitness room and a pool (didn't use).
+ Basic continental breakfast included.

CONS

- Noisy (the Washington/Wells station, the street below, noise from other rooms, the corridor, elevator if close by). Bring earplugs if you're a light sleeper (I am).
- Housekeeping didn't seem to vacuum floors or replenish shampoos.
- Changing rooms didn't go as planned (I talked to one person, left luggage after 9AM for another person, came back probably at 5-6PM and the next person was completely unaware of anything. He was also clealy annoyed of the whole complaint since they were busy with bookings.
- Downtown (at least this area) closes pretty early, so you'll have to find somewhere else to have dinner. Same with CVS's etc.
- No safety box in room.

Room Tip: The room I was upgraded to was #826. The rooms facing the courtyard are probably quieter, but the vi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Korean first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

For the most part, our stay (July 25, 26th) was decent. I loved the decor of the hotel and the fact that there is a Noodles and company literally a door away. It is walking distance to Garrettes popcorn and the Chicago theatre. The King suite was very spacious and comfortable for my family. The day staff at the front desk were helpful and courteous. My complaint begins with the evening staff or runners. I placed a call the night of July 25th for extra towels and it took over 30 minutes of waiting before I was prompted to call the desk (I had to request the towels again). At about 11:30pm the same night I walked downstairs asking the man behind the desk if there were extra blankets, he hardly looked at me, mumbled something to me and used his walkie talkie asking someone from the other end to bring blankets to my room. I thanked him and again received very little acknowledgement from this staff member which in my opinion hurts the entire hotel stay experience. One other thing, the ladies that work the eating lounge area need to be aware of what they are saying in the early hours prior to opening of the breakfast area. I over-heard complaints Sunday morning July 27th from the kitchen staff about the guest and took that personally because I was a guest. That also took away from my experience at this location. Would I stay here again? Depends. Have I been impressed to refer this La Quinta's to someone else? Probably not. Customer service means everything in the hospitality business.

Room Tip: The king deluxe suite is very spacious, I loved the shower.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Plymouth, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

Room was very clean. There was little noise from outside. Close enough to public transportation. Easy to drive to once you get off the freeway. There is a Kuerig coffee maker in the room. Staff was very helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank galsmiley1971
Kansas City, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

I stayed here for a weekend girls getaway and I have no complaints! They were kind enough to let us check in early, which was great after having to be at an airport at 3 AM! The bed was a cloud, easily one of the best beds i've slept on. The location was great. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Tom was a life saver many times and really made things enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Natalie T
Hyattsville, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

Stayed for 6 nights while traveling for work. Room was clean and comfortable. Good breakfast and location, although several nearby stores and restaurants are closed Saturday and Sunday. Short walk to Willis (Sears) Tower. Room had a refrigerator and microwave. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Only 9 stories, but the higher the quieter. It's downtown Chicago, don't expect peace and t...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Allan S
North Brunswick, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for one night. It was very conveniently located close to our offices and is surrounded by good restaurants. It is easy to walk where you need to be.

The check in staff was really efficient, friendly and helpful. They also give a good run down of the amenities included. Breakfast and wifi was included in the rate.

I was surprised how spacious the room was. The bed was decent and the room included ironing equipment, a Keurig coffee machine and lots of closet space for a longer stay. Note that my room did not have a safe, which is not ideal when you have a laptop, tablet etc.

I felt that this hotel have me more value for my money than some of the more expensive ones. I will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

This hotel was clean, the staff was very pleasant and the location was great.

House keeping did a great job keeping the room clean throughout our stay. The breakfast is very good with a large variety and lots of seating. It is well located close to bus stops and train stations and is within walking distance to many of Chicago's attractions (Willis Tower, Millennium Park etc.)

Will defiantly stay here on our next visit to Chicago

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple