“Convenient”

Ranked #80 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
South Bend, Indiana
“Convenient”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I had stayed in this hotel once before - it's only one block from the opera, which I was attending. I stayed two nights. The rooms are a good size, walk-in shower was nice, everything appeared to be designed for handicapped accessibility. The bed was comfortable. The only drawbacks were the towels - pretty scratchy, and the vague smell of cheap cologne, as if someone had stayed there before and the smell remained. I only smelled it for a short time after each time entering the room, but it was not a pleasant smell. You can hear the "L" train in the distance if the television is off but it's not an overwhelming or really disruptive sound. The staffed breakfast area is very nice and there was a good selection of foods. I will stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask to be on the west side of the hotel - while all you'll get is a street view and a building a...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Korean first
USA
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Great rates with breakfast included. Within walking distance to Chicago attractions and shopping on the Magnificent Mile. Easy $3 commute from Midway and only 1/2 block from station. Breakfast included sausage, biscuits, gravy, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, yogurt, cereals, fruits and an awesome do-it-yourself Belgian waffle station. Free-WIFI. Very picky teen daughter highly recommends. Great for families.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel due to all of the reviews that I found on TA. I was thinking Oh I'm so going to love this hotel. When we FINALLY arrived after driving around 20 minutes trying to find a parking lot we finally pulled in the hotel area and asked where parking was. The guy told me that we had to park in a parking deck next door.

So we drove around once again until we found the parking deck. We got to the gate for our ticket, unloaded, and went to the front desk. For two nights it was about $300 and some change. I asked the clerk about parking and she told us in a nutshell that she could charge it to our rooms which would be $90. I looked at my husband I shock because I was so annoyed at how much it was. $90 for two nights. I have NEVER had to pay for parking at a hotel so this is completely new. ..

We went upstairs to the 8th floor. 816 to be exact. It was your usual La Quinta. They have this weird long table by the window which is not necessary. The night stands are so small. You have to literally get on the floor to get to a outlet to charge your phone. Let me not get started on the bed. This is the worst bed I've ever slept on. It's hard as a rock. All the other La Quintas I've stayed at have extremely soft beds. . Not this one. From my room all night all I heard was that train every 10 minutes or so. It was very loud.

The Iron board didn't have any kind of cushioning in it. Just straight board.

I was really let down by this location. I do NOT recommend this location to anyone nor will I ever come back....

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Krys90
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed in La Quinta Inn for 7 days, the location is great... walking distance to Sears tower, and if the weather is good you can walk to any chicago attraction. Its close to shopping centers the State Street and even close to the famous magnificent mile... The room is great, comfortable king sized bed, very good shower. The only drawback to the hotel is the breakfast, not that many choices (scrambled eggs or waffles) and everything is in plastic (plates, forks, cups, etc) and you need to dispose them (self service :p)... but in general its a great hotel to stay in...

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed November 8, 2013

+Great Free breakfast (i'm still craving those biscuits 3 weeks later)
+Room was very spacious and comfortable
+Bed was extremely comfortable

The only drawback is that you can hear noise in the hallways a little more than we would have liked, but this was a minimal concern.

The pool and hot tub were extremely small, but still this is better than not having it at all.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2013

After six different budget hotels in our tour of South Eastern states and ending in Chicago this was one of the best; modern, clean, spacious and, for the most part quiet. 'For the most part' because it's in the financial district; almost comatose after 7.00 pm and, I imagine, deserted at weekends. So, despite Starbucks on almost every corner, there are very few restaurants within a short walk (of those that were close, Rivers is probably best). The bit which isn't quiet is breakfast; as a UK visitor I was consistently amazed by the American need (at this price point at least) to have a TV on - several TVs on - in every public drinking and dining area, and La Qunita's breakfast lounge ensures the dependency is brashly satisfied.

But, that small gripe aside, La Quinta scores on every level; three lifts, accessible bathroom if requested, pool, parking, generous breakfast (although, as ever, with plastic cutlery and paper plates), good service and two inter-connecting facilities: a tea bar (excellent) and a fast food noodle bar.

One small tip: looking at rooms from the outside in daylight and the windows appear to be mirror glass. Don't be fooled; switch your lights on at dusk and all the desktop jockeys across the street can see you in your boxers - or less; draw the blinds!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple