“Great bargain in Chicago Financial District”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown
Ranked #82 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great bargain in Chicago Financial District”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stay at a lot of hotels. This one is close, clean and a goid value. Everything is just a year or so old. Great bed, gret workspace and next door to a large, newer parking garage, and across from a Sbux.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Korean first
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband and I along with our 2 pets were travelling through Chicago on our way home after the Holidays. We chose this hotel because of their pet policy but was blown away by the location, hospitality, amazing quality of the beds, and the outstanding breakfast.
We will definitely recommend that you book your next stay at this hotel. You won't be disappointed.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lovetovolunteer
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I definitely recommend this great hotel bec. It's close to almost everything, Union Station, Willis Tower, to the tollway , shopping, great restaurants, etc. etc. Staff are very nice & friendly, knowledgeable & will go above & beyond to help their guest. The hotel is very clean all over & breakfast is well organized. I love the idea of making your own waffles :).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed January 1, 2013

At check in the staff went out of their way to give us suggestions on the closest places to eat and shop. My boyfriend and I were in the city for one night to celebrate my graduation from college. Upon hearing this they upgraded our room to a spacious suite for no charge. There is a Starbucks and Pot Belly's right across the street. We made some time to swim too and although the pool was not deep or large, it was very clean. We are planning to stay this hotel for all our Chicago stays.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I was on a 10 day business trip to Chicago, and chose the La Quinta due to both its location, and the fact that they advertised suites.

Given that my stay included a weekend in December, my wife made arrangements to visit with a friend for some Christmas shopping, and to take advantage of my having a room in the downtown area. For the privacy of our guest, I made arrangements to check-out of my room on Friday morning, check into a suite for the weekend, and then check back into my standard room for the remainder of my stay. This was all done through Expedia, and went very smoothly.

On Friday morning, I was able to get my suite, and was delighted to find it was right across the hall from my original room (making my move all that much easier). But when I opened the door to the room, I found it was simply a very large room, with a pull-out sofa next to the bed.

I went back down to the desk to verify that this was the right room, and was told that it was. When I suggested that a suite generally meant more than one room (or at least some kind of barrier between where people slept), I was initially treated as though I was crazy for believing such a thing. And where I would normally have gotten very upset, I decided instead to just keep my original room, as it had two beds, and would have been as good as the “suite” for what I needed anyway.

But at some point, it was suggested that I come back later, and to ask for a specific room designation (I don’t remember exactly what it was), and so I did. And while checking availability, the clerk excused herself to “go get permission to give me a complimentary upgrade”. As it turns out, the room type I was requesting WAS a suite, and I was given it with a complementary upgrade.

Not that there was anything wrong my original room (and the other “suite” was fine), but the suite they put me in was very nice indeed. It was much bigger than most Suite hotel rooms; with the “living room” being especially large, and with a very large work-area overlooking the street. It was a great work-space, and coupled with the included breakfast, was ideally suited for business travel.

On Sunday, I returned to the desk to check out (and back in to a standard room), and was told that they had ”just gone ahead and extended my stay in the suite for the remainder of my stay" (another 4 days!).

Had I thrown a fit and been a pain in the butt (which I sorry to say is not unheard of), I wouldn't have been surprised to get the free upgrade. But to basically be willing to walk away, and then be rewarded with both the upgrade AND extension, left a very strong impression.

Given that I’m more than willing to speak out about poor service, I feel it’s important to speak as strongly about outstanding service. And so as promised, here’s my strongest recommendation for the folks at this La Quinta. Thanks guys! (although my angel was actually a young lady)

Room Tip: Note that some "suites" don't have any barrier between sleeping areas.