“Good basic business hotel”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown
Ranked #86 of 188 Hotels in Chicago
Illinois
“Good basic business hotel”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Stayed at this hotel overnight for a business meeting the next day. Chose the hotel because 1) it was located a short walk from meeting location; 2) offered free breakfast; and 3) it was within allowed budget. There are no frills to the lobby or furnishings, but the bed was large and comfortable, and there was plenty of desk space, a handy refrigerator, and a microwave. I was disappointed with only a table top ironing board, which made pressing the wrinkles out of a suit court challenging. The breakfast was fine and the bathroom towels were the plushest i believe I have ever had in a hotel. I would stay here again as long as the price was <$200 a night.

Word of caution if you plan to walk to the hotel from Union Station: Wacker Drive construction has created a maze out of the Adams Street route. Instead, take Canal Street exit and walk up to Madison and then right over to hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank signe1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Korean first
Milford, Michigan
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Just finishing up my first "mother-daughter" trip to Chicago with my 10 year old. I am very pleased with my choice to stay at this hotel. It is close to Union Station, walking distance to the Sears Tower, has a great free breakfast in the morning and the rooms are very clean and well appointed. Our room faced Franklin Street and had a nice view of he Sears Tower -my daughter chose the bed by the window because she loved the city scape which was new and exciting for her. Unlike a lot of downtown hotels this one had both a free breakfast and a small pool. My only complaint about the hotel was the amount of chlorine - even with goggles my daughter and the other swimmers really complained about their eyes stinging. Yes the pool is small and the spa is laughably small but space is at a premium in the city so I wasn't expecting to find a hotel with a pool at all. The bathroom was a decent size and very clean. Good water pressure and plenty of hot water. The room was quiet, beds comfortable and the tv was very nice. There is a Walgreens just around the corner were you can grab snacks or forgotten items. It was a $10 cab ride to Field Museum/Shedd Aquarium and $7 up to Watertower/John Hancock Center. I am very pleased with our chose of hotels and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side face Franklin and have a view of the Sears Tower. Breakfast is on the 2nd fl...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank akehcmbf
Sun Prairie, WI
Reviewed April 5, 2012

We chose this hotel from the Shedd Aquarium website as a partner hotel. Our package included two tickets to the Aquarium. The front desk called the day before to see if we needed add'l tickets so they could get them ready for us. We arrived the next day and the front desk was very helpful in finalizing our tickets and printing them out so that we didn't have to stand in long lines the next morning at Shedd. Breakfast on Monday morning was very good. My kids were excited to find bacon and sausage..a rare find on a free breakfast spread! Great location and excellent staff. Would stay again in the future.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
West Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I stayed here with my daughter as we were in town for a Columbia College visit. We got in town early and walked from Union Station. I booked this hotel on Priceline at a great rate! The overnight clerk was very cold (nonfriendly) and i cant remember specifically but after my second encounter with him I thought about complaining. Our room view was....... of the interior of other building but no biggie. The breakfast room has a nice view and the staff in there are SOOOO friendly and nice (that was refreshing). The breakfast has a wonderful selection and is a huge perk for me. You can make waffels and Mon-Sat the staff will make you any omlet you'd like. The selection again is one of the best I have seen.
The hotel is very close (Willis Tower) The Double Decker Hop on Hop off tour's first stop and is a 5 minute walk (thats a different review but I love that tour). The El is right around the corner and there are plenty of walgrees/7-11's close by if you need.

Will stay agian :)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed March 22, 2012

GREAT LOCATION! Downtown, near all trains, shopping,sightseeing. Take a train from either airport. It was clean, Comfortable, quite and friendly. Sadly I threw away the paper I wrote fown the name of the woman that checked us in. If management reads this it was 3/17/12. at about noon. SHE WAS WONDERFUL! The place was full too capacity. The staff handle it like it was nothing at all. Nice breakfast , in spite of the crowd they didn't run out of the selection. Nice room set aside for computer needs. My only disappointment was the pool and jacuzzi. There was soo much clorine that you could not even stay in the room much less get in the water. The size of the the jacuzxi was maybe 4 people capacity, IF you could stand to get in. The pool was small too.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends