“Rockin' Million Dollar Quartet at the Apollo Theater”

Apollo Theater Chicago
Ranked #119 of 667 things to do in Chicago
Reviewed September 6, 2012

MDQ THE SHOW: The MDQ show is one of the best musical performances my wife and I have ever seen. It's on the same level as Beatles-Rain. The performers were were all reasonable impersonators of Elvis, Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis in looks, dress, voice and on-stage mannerisms. Close your eyes and you would think the real stars were there. It's amazing that they all could sing, act AND play their instruments masterfully. Carl Perkins (Shaun Witley) was especially good on the electric guitar. Christopher Damiano's (Johnny Cash) Walk the Line is awesome. Jerry Lee (Lance Lipinsky) was incredible on the piano including Jerry Lee's famous antics playing the piano standing up and using his feet at times. I was mesmerized by his piano talent and his dead-on impersonation of Jerry Lee's performances. Elvis sings Peace in the Valley (with the others singing harmony) in a way that gives you chills. The show ends with Whole Lotta Shakin Goin On and a more exhilirating musical experience you will not find anywhere. The show includes an informative story line about Sam Phillp's discovery, promotion and recording of these four rock superstars before they went on to major record labels. But the music just rocks! Whitney Jones as Elvis's girlfriend Dyanne does a couple female numbers (including the classic "Fever") just as well as the guys. The bass player is mostly just a background instrumentalist, but he does an upright string bass solo at one point that is jaw-dropping. The show lasts 1 hour and 45 minutes with no intermission, but it moves quickly and you never think about wanting an intermission. Better use the restroom before the show though. We tried to book tickets on a Sunday for the 5:30 pm performance and found it to be sold out. So, we went on Wednesday evening 9-05-12. That evening, it was about half full. The Johnny Cash and Dyanne actors came out to the lobby after the show to chat and sign autographs. Very personable people. Even if you are not a 50s rock fan, the show is very entertaining. The show is essentially family-friendly, though there is some light profanity sprinkled throughout the show.

THEATER: The Apollo Theater is small but you are very close to the perfomers. The seating is stadium style; the stage is ground level. Sound is fabulous. One review I read said it was freezing in the theater, so I took a jacket. But I didn't need it. Temperature was fine for the whole show. Restrooms are small but clean. Doors to the theater open 30 minutes before show time. No video recording or photos allowed.

PARKING: There is a small parking lot on the north side of the theater. Most of the parking is under train tracks. One review I read complained about grease falling on their car. However, we got there early and used nearby parallel street parking. Lincoln Park uses a pay box. You insert a credit card and enter the time you want (3 hours max.) and it charges your card and dispenses a sticker that you place on the inside of your windshield next to the sidewalk. There is no charge for parking after 900 pm. Since we got there early to pick up tickets (6:30pm for a 7:30 pm show), we found parking spaces open. However, it the theater were full, I'm not sure if there is enough parking near the theater.

RESTAURANTS NEAR THE THEATER: There are quite a few restaurants within 2-3 blocks south of the theater. Buffalo Wild Wings is one. We had a scruptious hamburger and BLT at Dillinger's Bar & Grill about one block south of the theater.

SUMMARY: I highly recommend this show. I hope to see it again.

3  Thank SpringfieldGuy

Reviewed September 5, 2012

We went here to see the Million Dollar Quartet & there wasn't a bad seat in the house! 440 seats & everyone can see the entire show with no obstructions. Comfortable temperature & seats were comfy as well. The show was amazing as well!!!

2  Thank PBlue
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We went to see million dollar quartet the place is small, but it's a good size for its location the facilities and the equipment are a little bit old but very well taken care of, over all a good place

Reviewed June 22, 2012

We just enjoyed the performance Million Dollar Quartet at the Apollo Theater in Chicago this week. The theater is a good size but feels intimate. We sat center stage 2/3's up and the seats were amazing. The acoustics in the theater ae spectacular. The show was the best I have ever seen anywhere and I highly recommend it.

Reviewed June 13, 2012

Went to see MD Quartet at the Apollo theater---WOW!! Anyone of a "certain age" who grew up listening to Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, Johnny Cash, and Carl Perkins will probably get goose bumps seeing this show. I thought we were just going to hear performances by impersonators. No WAY - keep in mind it's the Apollo THEATER ----and theater is what we got! It's a whole story about one Dec. day in 1956 when these 4 "heroes" were at the Sun Records studio at the same time....the one and only day this particular group were EVER together.
And yes, we certainly got loads of perfectly rendered 50's music, but the story and personalities brought the music to a whole other level.

The people in the audience who went wild ranged from an 11-year-old girl to folks over 70. Before I went, I was pretty sure i would like it but I had no idea it would be my favorite thing I've seen in the last decade or so.
Hope you're able to enjoy it before it leaves Chicago.
It was approx. $60 per person. How much is an unforgettable experience worth?