“Lived in Chicago my entire 33 years and this is my favorite museum”

Museum of Science and Industry
Ranked #22 of 643 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The largest science museum in the Western Hemisphere! Housed in the only remaining building from the 1893 World’s Fair, MSI is a Chicago must-see. You’ll experience 14 acres of hands-on exhibits and have the chance to stand before a 40-foot tornado; climb aboard a World War II German submarine; take a run in a human-sized hamster wheel; descend into an Illinois coal mine; tour a fully functioning eco-friendly home; board a 727 hanging from the ceiling; transmit your pulse to a 13-foot, 3-D beating heart; and much more! MSI is not a place where you walk around quietly and observe. No way! You get involved in the fun—and learn—by doing. Just a few miles from downtown with convenient underground parking.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have lived in the Chicago area all of my life. I was taken to every museum and local attraction the city has to offer all through my childhood and i continue to visit as an adult. The Museum of Science and Industry continues to be my favorite attraction. I go often. There are some new features that are quite impressive, especially the weather exhibit. The submarine has always been impressive and there are tons of other exhibits to keep your interested. This will be an all day activity for any adult or child. Its a must see!

A word about parking; This is Chicago after all. Its definitely worth paying to park in the Museums garage. It is underground and gives you simple access right into the main lobby.

Write a ReviewReviews (9,436)
All reviews
in 163 reviews
"great exhibits"
in 104 reviews

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Quite a gem, got to tour the submarine and coal mine this visit, totally worth it. We spent a few hours here. We also took the Metra, that was quick and great not to have to deal with a car.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We had a great time and learned a lot. We could see each attraction for as long as we wanted. The day we were there it was not very busy and so that was good. The teenage kids enjoyed it as well as us adults

Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and 7 year old son found plenty to do for half a day at this museum. It was part of the City Pass and definitely worth the cost. This was the first time my husband and son did a museum without me and they really bonded over the shared experience. They kept going on and on about the exhibits. This is a very interactive museum and it is huge and they have a really cool train set.