“I would go here if I could”

Jane Addams' Hull-House Museum
Ranked #121 of 640 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This museum honors Jane Addams, the first American woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize for her social work with immigrants and affecting national public policy. Explore the National Historic Landmark settlement house including the residents' dining hall and an arts and crafts building. Closed Mondays and Saturdays.
SF, CA
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“I would go here if I could”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Back in the day my father hung out around here, so I would go to honor his memory. Jane Adams is long gone as well. Sorry about that, because they both did some good in Chicago, back in the day.

Visited June 2012

Cape Town Central, South Africa
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Visit to Hull House Museum”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Visit to the Jane Addams Hull House Museum:

In the fall of 2007, I took a graduate course in Sociological Theory, with two wonderful individuals, who later became my two favourite professors. In this class, we read a text written by them, The Women Founders: Sociology and Social Theory, 1830-1930, by Patricia Madoo Lengermann (Author), Jill Niebrugge-Brantley (Author). One of the chapters was on Jane Addams.

In a recent visit to Chicago, I visited Hull House and had just come from a visit to the home of Paul Laurence Dunbar. Of course, this is a great contrast, and, as I wrote in my Dunbar review, I had not visited a museum in a very long time and coming away from the Hull House visit, I was again impressed and pleasantly surprised by the care and interest in preserving the homes of cultural and academic persons.

While the Jane Addams’ Hull House was steeped in intellectual and social influences, I learned that this historical landmark was open to so many immigrants from all parts of the globe, whether they were artisans or a pot-pourri of unskilled workers. There were many students from the universities in the area the day I was there, and they all came to learn and know more about Jane Addams.

Our guide was extremely engaging and she carefully and sensitively told us of the wonderful work Jane Addams did in the area, as a settlement worker, and how Hull House was constructed and later seen as the go-to place when immigrants arrived in the Chicago area. That she was a free-thinker and pioneered many firsts, including becoming the first American woman to receive the Nobel Peace Prize in 1931, is evident.

Ms Addams’ pioneering work inspired and directed Hull House in becoming a centre of learning for ordinary people, who became social activists, interested in developing and uplifting their neighbourhood, studying different aspects of social problems, such as infant mortality, ensuring that working women were treated fairly, schooling for children, and many other ways of ensuring that the Hull House community and its surrounding neighbourhoods, were functional.

The visit provided great insights, by providing a window into how changes in a society develops from the grassroots level, and how changes are globally affected by a community of concerned and interested individuals...how one person’s concept can mushroom into positive changes in a community. Do not be ‘concerned’ if you see so many students, I would suggest that you visit to see how historically, ordinary people were inspired to change their lives for the better.

Visited October 2012
6 Thank monicaj06
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Maybe Adult Attraction”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Unless your children are mature, I would hazard a guess that younger children may be bored here. But for any history lover and lover of all things Chicago, this museum is definitely worth the visit.

2 Thank ChiWind
Fresno, California
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“I had higher expectations...”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

For someone as historically significant as Jane Addams, and with as much primary source material that is available, I thought that a museum dedicated to her life and cause would have been more informative. Our guide did not seem to know very much about her and his tour consisted of reading the placards from the displays to us (which we had already done while we were waiting for our tour to begin). Ok, maybe I am more educated about Jane Addams than most people walking into the museum, but if you tout your establishment as dedicated to someone's memory, at least staff it with people who know more than your visitors.

Visited June 2012
4 Thank historygrl
NC Triad
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Important history”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Jane Addams gave us the concept of social work - she also won the Nobel Peace prize! Great history of immigration and social welfare. Very important to understand our history of caring for others.

1 Thank Two-Ws

Been to Jane Addams' Hull-House Museum? Share your experiences!