“Very good food, but only a FAIR value”
Review of Big Jones

Big Jones
Reserve with OpenTable
Big Jones is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #571 of 9,614 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Balmoral
Transit: Clark bus, Damen bus (on Ashland), Berwyn 'L' stop on Red Line
Chicago, Illinois
“Very good food, but only a FAIR value”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I used to LOVE this place and recommended it all the time. I still like the food, but I feel that the VALUE you get isn't what is used to be.

I LOVE the interior. Very warm colors, great tables & chairs, cool light fixtures.

The wait staff is VERY knowledgeable, friendly and efficient.

The food is tasty, eclectic southern fare. I find it all yummy, but again, the portions could be bigger or the prices could be smaller or some happy medium would be nice.

I think their eggs benedict for breakfast is the BEST I've ever had. They serve it on popovers instead of the usual English muffin and the ham it incredible. I would go back for that anytime.

They used to have the most delicious Mississippi Mud Pie with homemade marshmallow that was their best dessert, but alas...no more. RIP...it was THAT good!

I will go back, but just not as often as I used to.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank jahhp

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1,087 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,516 helpful votes
“Amazing Shrimp & Grits”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Pros
- Good value for money
- Delicious food

Cons
- Slow service (but nice staff)
- Chairs aren't comfy

This place was on my "brunch list" for a long time. And I regret that I didn't try it before. The food is terrific. It's South homemade style (check the pics).

I highly recommend the shrimps & grits. It's delicious!

The portions are big and the food is heavy.

• Visited November 2012
Miami, Florida
“Great southern Chicago style”
Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Great southern food with a local twist.

the house old fashioned to the corn bread and pickle platter Starter to shrimp and grits and duck breast, we had a great times..

The bread pudding dessert was delightful... Highly recommend

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“! Southern Brunch that Delights All Taste Buds !”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Clean, welcoming, and trendy atmosphere with a menu that fits to all tastes. Had the corn cakes and eggs with avocado and beans and could not have been happier. Whoever married starch and protein was a genius. Visited with two friends with different inclinations and everyone was on cloud nine. Generous portions -- plan to bring some home. Intelligentsia coffee rounds out the menu quite nicely.

• Visited November 2012
Perrysburg, Ohio
“Southern comfort food”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Visiting friends in Andersonville, we enjoyed dinner and shared appetizers and entrees. Outstanding was the mushed palm hearts with a honey drizzle...totally unexpected and wonderful. We had the curried vegetables, chicken and dumplings and the shrimp and grits -- all excellent. Waiter was wonderful, helped us steer away from a bad wine choice - pleasant all around, glad we stopped in.

• Visited October 2012

Been to Big Jones? Share your experiences!