All reviews athletic club buckhorn facilities pool downtown
Reviewed September 6, 2018

My wife and I stayed at this hotel the weekend of Thursday, August 30th to September st. We mainly went here because it was just a five minute walk to the Pro-Wrestling Tees Store where former WWE Superstar CM Punk would be holding a meet & greet. We also used this as an opportunity for me being reacquainted with Chicago as it was my first time being back home in almost 30 years.

When we first arrived at the hotel, we weren’t given a warm hello and welcome. Instead we were looked at awkwardly like we didn’t belong there or something. I had nice clean light grey pair of sweat pants on and a clean bright shirt while my wife wore long jean shorts and a pink shirt. We told them how we had a reservation and were trying to check in. On the booking.com site it reads that FREE PARKING is available. When we inquired about this at the front desk we were told there is no free parking and that we had to pay an additional $25 a night for parking. As part of the package we also got access to a gym and spa. We tried to inform them of what the website said at booking.com and the front desk attendant seemed uninterested as he was firm on their $25 package. We reluctantly added that $25 package and went to go get our items. As we park our car my wife checks her account because she got a notification from her bank that she was almost about to hit her maximum spending daily limit and went to check her account.

What a surprise! The hotel took an additional $100 that left us scratching our heads wondering what was going on. Even after we added the potential $25 a night fee just to get access to parking, factoring in the taxes and surcharges already added by Booking, the extra $100 didn’t make sense. When we confronted the same front desk attendant ( a young man mind you who I wouldn’t be surprised if he was in his first year of college), tells us that $100 extra was a hold just in case an incident occurred where the room received damage. Between myself and my wife we have over 20 years experience dealing with hotels and normally this practice does not happen. Worst case scenario the front desk attendant will ask if your credit card you’re handing them to charge your room is the best they can use to put on file and that’s it folks. He looked at us nonchalant, didn’t even apologize for not being more transparent and upfront when speaking to us the first time about this as we went to our room a bit irritated. Thank God I brought my wallet of extra cash and an extra credit card otherwise we would have had trouble!

The room was very, very clean, very presentable with an okay view as you can see the city. Ah the city...Which looks to be about a 15 minute drive form the hotel. We learned the hard way this hotel is in an industrial area. As result there’s not much to do and see. Other than the Pro-Wrestling Tees Store, there’s a Vienna Sausage Factory and Cafe, a Popeyes, and a Subway restaurant, that’s it folks. By the hotel there’s a Michaels, a Dialysis clinic, and an Organic grocery store. Also, a car dealership across the street, and that’s it folks. You will be bored in no time in this area. The parking at this hotel is a pain because rather than be given a unique ticket that’s validated for X amount of days you’re there so you can use it accordingly until checkout when it can just be deactivated by staff, instead you have to keep taking a ticket and getting it validated by front desk. This falling into the fact that it was Labor Day weekend we felt we’d be at a great disadvantage looking for parking if we tried to travel the way we wanted to travel and result felt a bit hindered in being cooped up at the hotel.

As far as inside the hotel, it is very nice as they have a high priced expensive fitness store, a bar that’s serves great food as we had Chicago style hot dogs with French fries. There’s a lot of treadmills, an inside pool, and outside pool, an indoor tennis court, and a weight room. Fellow reviewers said stay away from the 4th floor cause the 3rd floor was the continuation and heartbeat of a full gym with weights, loud music that plays while the weights are hitting the floor rather hard. Luckily we were on the 5th floor where it was very quiet. It seemed at least on the first night we had no neighbors to our left and right. I knew this because I ran into the cleaning people and saw when they were cleaning rooms and these rooms were vacant. It seemed as if on our floor it was vacant throughout. Good luck getting a good nights rest as the beds are very, very stiff, very hard. When you do finally drift to sleep you hear a loud WHOMP as that is the sound of a door slamming. As result you know when someone is leaving and coming back in. I had to turn the tv up a little bit to try and sleep as eventually on night one I was able to sleep decently. Night two sadly is when things got really bad.

On the second night my wife went to bed a little early as we were going to try and check out around 8 in the morning to begin our 10 hour drive back home. I decided by around 9:30pm to try and call it night but continued to be wired. We are not an old couple mind you, just a young couple that had to be back home during a certain time as I had to do my podcast covering a major sporting event and wrapping up some projects for some clients. Right before 10pm I heard two women enter one of the vacant rooms laughing and all. I didn’t realize until that moment just how thin the walls were as combined with the hardwood floors, it’s easy to hear what one is saying if they are being loud. Which is exactly what these girls were being, loud. They sounded like they were in their early to mid 20’s. They got louder and louder and before you know it music was being played. As cool of an idea as it is that the hotel lets you sync up your phone or tablet so you can play your apps on their TVs I don’t think it is a good idea because of situations like this. One can play their iHeartRadio, iTunes, etc you see? Anyway, frustrated I took a shower to help loosen up and hoped I could sleep as a result as usually a shower does the trick...It did not. By the time I came out it got worst and worst with their talking, laughing loud and playing their music louder. It got worst as a male or two knocked on their door and every 15 minutes someone was leaving and coming (maybe getting more booze from around the corner). By 12am they were doing a full blown party with their music blasting, no common courtesy in the world.

I waited until 12:30am to call the front desk and asked for assistance. Josh, who was working the front desk at the time was very nice and had security come up to handle the situation. Why security knocked on my door when I gave Josh the room number for where the trouble was coming from I have the slightest clue as it was almost like telling the people next door I was the one who sent security on them. Security knocked on their door and eventually they answered. Security left as the music was turned off but they all laughed and talked rather loud and got a bit worst by the minute and came off offended that they were being spoken to like children. Simple solution for that, don’t act like children! Anyway they got worst and my wife woke up and saw the look on my face. She knew at this point which was 1am I was not getting any sleep so we packed up and rolled out at 1:30am.

Josh was very nice and understanding as he went on ahead and issued us a refund seeing as how we only stayed for one night honestly. I’ve stayed at many hotels in my time, but this one really took the cake. I couldn’t wait to get out of there as I was at more ease in our car as I slept while my wife took us home. If and when I return to Chicago I will not be staying here again. This hotel would be better off being apartments cause it is obvious the money is really coming from their fitness, tennis, and bar honestly. Seems the few rooms added to make the building in part a hotel was added only as an afterthought. If you travel for business a lot, care about peace and quiet, good soundproof walls, being able to get a good nights rest then I say stay away from this hotel. You are much better off going with a hotel in the city that’s more established and reputable then these guys. Least in the city you have a lot of great things you can do as opposed to staying here where it’s very limited. Whatever these guys tell you about you can access this, and that, and this, please be warned that you will need a car to get to all these things. That being the case don’t you think it makes more sense to be closer to all those hot spots and the city then at this place?

Last piece of advice to the staff except for Josh who was superb, treat your customers the way you want to be treated and that’s with respect. Be warm, welcoming, assume that the people coming are form out of town. You are the 1st person we the guests see and the last as we leave. Be friendly and ask visitors if it’s their first time visiting with you all and Chicago, offer a list of restaurants in the area, number for cabs, etc and not so hellbent on selling your hotel as you’ve already got the visitors money for during their stay. Don’t use foul language and horse playing out in the open when on duty as you don’t know who is watching you. First impressions go a long way and are key in one deciding if they want to return or not.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
Stayed: August 2018, traveled on business
Amy C, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel at Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2018

Dear Lee,
Thank you for providing your feedback for your recent stay with us. We are so sorry to learn that your experience was not of the quality you expected, and we thank you for bringing it to our attention. We aim to provide excellent service to all hotel guests, so we take your feedback very seriously. We are sorry we did not make you fully aware of nearby restaurants as we are at the crossroads of four vibrant neighborhoods, that of Bucktown, Logan Square, Wicker Park and Lincoln Park. We’re sorry for the confusion surrounding the resort fee of $25 which includes full access to the club and its amenities, parking and Wifi. If your travels bring you back to Chicago, please contact me at 773-235-2300 as we’d appreciate the opportunity to welcome you and personally ensure you have a better experience at our club and the Hotel.

Reviewed August 28, 2018 via mobile

This is an amazing property! If you want to exercise or simply lay by the pool, you can’t miss Midtown! It’s a great gathering place at the bar or pool! And a terrific place to exercise of course! They have equipment from Precor and several other brands.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled on business
Amy C, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel at Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2018

Dear TrekkerGuy,
We are so thankful for your five-star review! Thank you for your kind words as well, we are very glad to hear you enjoyed your stay here and enjoyed all of the club amenities. Love the pictures you posted as well!

Thanks,

Reviewed August 23, 2018

You will think this hotel is the happeningest place in town. Then you realize they are all the in the athletic club and pool. This makes the pool, breakfast/bar crowded with workout people. I gave up on getting a juice and muffin in the morning. Lines 8-10 deep buying power shakes. Great location if you have reason to be in Bucktown, which we did. View of the city from our room. I think we had an extra nice room. 2 walls were windows and a nice view of downtown. Many very good restaurants in walking distance.This is kind of a gem in the rough.

Room Tip: End room, City side.
  • Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
Amy C, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel at Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2018

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your room. However, I am sorry that you did not get a juice and muffin. I apologize that the lines were so long. Hopefully if you are in the area again you will stay with us. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed August 8, 2018 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for a conference and it was better than I expected. Clean everything, great friendly staff and an amazing gym. There were fitness classes of all types, indoor and outdoor pool. A rooftop bar and restaurants. I obviously wouldn’t have booked there if I had to pay out of my own pocket, but with that being said if I lived nearby I would definitely want a gym membership. I took Uber for nearby bars and restaurants so it is also located in a great place downtown.

1  Thank Rebeca T
Amy C, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel at Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2018

Dear Rebeca,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us and to rate us so highly! We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and all of the club amenities. We hope your travels for work bring you back to Chicago soon!
Best,

Reviewed July 22, 2018

This is a very nice gym that seems to have added a floor of hotel rooms almost an afterthought. The hotel rooms are one floor above the weight room so expect to hear the boom of bass from the music and the sound of weights being dropped. The cleaning staff was incredibly inconsistent. One day they didn't show up to clean my room at all. On days that they did show up, they would make the bed and bring fresh towels but didn't wipe down the sink or shower. It was very odd for a hotel that bills itself as high end and has prices comparable to what you would pay for a nice downtown hotel. The front desk staff was friendly but really didn't seem to understand how to help hotel guests. There is no concierge so don't expect anyone to be able to help you with suggestions about the neighborhood. I was incredibly frustrated when I arrived on the first night after a delayed flight and found that the restaurant was closed and the staff was unable to make suggestions about where I could get food in the area. It was only about 9pm, not an extreme hour by any means. The next morning the restaurant was supposed to open at 5am but when I came down at 6:30am it was dark and there was nobody there. After five minutes of trying to find someone, I finally went down to the front desk to ask about it. They just shrugged and said that the person who was supposed to open called in sick. I understand that emergencies happen, but they made no effort to bring in anyone else to open the cafe or at the very least put up a note saying that it was unexpectedly closed. I had a car picking me up for work in just a few minutes so I had no time to go anywhere else. This meant that I had to spend a full morning working with no dinner the night before and now no breakfast. I complained to the hotel manager who did offer me a complimentary meal in the restaurant. (He told me to just charge it to the room and they would take care of it.) But when I showed up at the restaurant to use it, the hostess didn't even know that I could charge a meal to my room. Honestly, I'm not even sure she knew that the gym also had hotel rooms. The bartender was finally able to at least help me charge it to the room, but I don't think I ever got comped for it. I wish I could say my experience got better after that, but it didn't. The gym is nice and you can take any of their classes, so if working out is a big priority for you, this might be an acceptable place. But for someone who was in Chicago to work for a week, this hotel was a total fail.

• Stayed: July 2018, traveled on business
Amy C, Guest Relations Manager at The Hotel at Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2018

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for posting a review and we're sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience. We strive to provide top notch service to our guests, as well as a clean environment, so we take your feedback very seriously. I’m so sorry that you did not receive recommendations for dining in the area, as there are many great restaurants a 5 minute cab ride away in nearby Bucktown, Logan Square and Wicker Park. There is also an organic grocery store within our plaza and a Starbucks within walking distance. I also apologize that your meal was not comped, I am researching this issue to ensure that you are taken care of, and I will reach out to you directly once this has been processed. If your work brings you back to Chicago, please contact me at 773-235-2300 as I’d appreciate the opportunity to welcome you and personally ensure you have a better experience if you return to our club and Hotel.

Thanks,