TripAdvisor
Chicago
Post
Inbox
Search

“Good food, great staff. ”
Review of Barrio

OR
Order Online
Ranked #844 of 11,268 Restaurants in Chicago
Neighborhood: Near North Side
Description: Located in the River North area of Chicago, our Mexican restaurant features south of the border classics with an American twist. The menu, created by Top Chef Katsuji Tanabe, offers a diverse assortment of foods for lunch, dinner, late night and brunch. Those with food sensitivities or dietary restrictions can also find a variety of gluten-free, paleo, and vegetarian options. While the menu changes regularly, you will always find a selection of different salsas, tacos, salads and entrees. Appetizers include a unique take on classics such as nachos, empanadas, salsa, quesadilla, and guacamole. Come to Barrio, one of the best Mexican places in Chicago.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

As a Mexican I personally do not mind adding unique twists to Mexican food. This place was super cool and the food was good, I really enjoyed the array of guacamole that we had and also my octopus tacos were delicious. Only reason why I’m giving it 4 stars instead of 5 is because we did eat at other Mexican restaurants with a twist that were better, still a great place!

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (98)

Reviewed September 4, 2019

The place is appealing to the eye. The ambiance is for for those predrinking for a night out. The food was very meh, it lacked in flavor. The service was terrific and the chef made his way out to engage with the customers and ask if everything was fine. He was very sweet to my daughter. I would say this is americanized mexican food thats not aimed for the mexican palate taste buds but more for the americanized crowd. Very different options and combinations. I'ts not bad but i do not think i would return.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed August 18, 2019 via mobile

Before coming to Chicago my husband did some research of good restaurants close to our present hotel The Kensey.
Maybe I had high expectations and was hoping for an authentic Mexican restaurant and the reality was a little disappointing for me. My husband had the Mezcal Beef ribs and he really enjoyed them. I was indecisive between the Taco Salad and the Ancho rubbed chicken and I settled for the later. I wish I had chosen the salad as I saw other customers order it and it looked inviting. My chicken was ok but nothing outstanding.
My husband ordered the Sunday for dessert and it was outrageously large. Without exaggerating it was couple of pounds of ice cream with bananas and other goodies. It is a dessert to be shared between 4 people at least. I am not a big fan of huge portions and appreciate quality over cuantity. If big portions are your thing then you will love it.
Our waiter was friendly and having dinner on the patio was lovely. Nice to see dogs welcome in the patio. The chicken I did not finish had a happy ending as I shared it with a beautiful yellow dog that devoured it.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed July 22, 2019

My friend and I ate a late lunch here and very much enjoyed ourselves. First of all it was really nice they were happy to serve us at 2pm, thats definitely a later lunch. We took our time had the traditional gauc and I had a modified salad. That being said they don't have a ton of veggie or vegan options but I just asked them to take the goat cheese off a salad and it was really delicious. We never felt rushed, even though the restaurant was empty. We definitely enjoyed ourselves and would go back again!

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed July 14, 2019 via mobile

Very so-so food. It looks pretty and inviting; it just dull in favor. The spices-which laden all dishes—never married in any given dish. The service was adequate but slow.

Date of visit: July 2019