“Wasn't going to go but.....”

Chicago Children's Museum
Ranked #62 of 683 things to do in Chicago
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The "Dinosaur Expedition," where kids dig for bones and conduct archaeological research is just one of the many hands-on exhibits at the Chicago Children's Museum.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We didn't have the kids with us so we weren't going to go, but we had some extra time and decided to go for it. I was very impressed that there was things for all ages not just the kids. I now want to go again and this time take the children so they can have as much fun as my sister-in-law and I did.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We visited here on our recent trip to Chicago with our young kids (ages 5 and 2). They loved it! We've been to a good number of children's museums with them and there were lots of unique things here they hadn't done before.

The price is a little steep ($14 whether you are an adult or child) but probably helps keep the crowds a little more manageable. Please note that this museum does not participate with the ASTC passport program (we thought it did but had misread the list before coming).

Our kids loved pretty much all of the exhibits, especially the rope climbing and water areas. We did not spend much time in the "Unboxed" Cardboard exhibit. I appreciate the idea to keep things open-ended for the kids and let them create things, but it felt a little cheap to me and "well-used", probably because the exhibit had been around for some time already. After the kids climbed through a few boxes, we kept moving on. Other than that, though, everything was a big hit. I would highly recommend this as an activity for families with young kids visiting Chicago. They also offer free evenings from 5-8 pm on Thursdays. Not sure if it would be more crowded then, but it is a nice option.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

I like that they have activities for children of all ages. I dislike the parking in the Chicago areas.

Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

We took our 2 little ones. Great time. Some of the activities here are best for children 2 and younger. Some Better for 5-8. I'd guess that over that age though might be boring. For us, it was a good 4-5 hour excursion.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

More to do in this museum than the rest of Navy Pier combined for younger kids (ours 6 and 1). Tons of activities, enough for a whole day if you'd like it. Great option at Navy Pier.