“Best Hotel Room I have ever stayed in!”

theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #36 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 28, 2010

My husband and I went into the city for a friends anniversary party. With my husbands work travel we have diamond status with Hilton Hotels. We normally stay at an Embassy Suites or Palmer House but decided to try The Witt. We got upgraded to a suite, had a room with a east, south, and west view. Yes, this sucker was the huge, room 2301! This room was so posh we should have had the party in the room! It had a living room with a flat screen, full kitchen with island, table for 4, two full baths- one with a deep 2 person tub, a beautiful large bedroom with 2 closets. All with a modern funky decor. They also gave us a voucher for breakfast, which was so delicious, you gotta try their bloody mary bar. We had priority access to the club on top which was hoppin' but a bit to noisy for us after a night at "Howl at the Moon".....another fantastic Chicago hot spot. I don't know what this room costs ( we got it for free) but it was a kick!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 22, 2010

I'll be checking out this morning after a six night stay and am leaving with a smile on my face. This hotel has a very "W" feel to it, one of my favorite hotel brands. The styling from the exterior of the building to the lobby to the well appointed rooms is clever and chic. As someone who works in the hospitality industry myself, I can tell you that finding a staff as attentive, friendly and genuine as theWit's is very rare - from the bellmen to the restaurant staff to the housekeepers and of course the front desk staff (Ann was great!). The location is perfect, with the State/Lake stop of the L directly beside of the hotel and everything downtown within a few minutes walk. The views from the rooftop are wonderful; definitely check it out if you're here (or even if you're not staying here).

My only negative experiences are pretty minimal but I did have some issues on my final day with my heating controls getting out of whack (although guests services was very quick to offer help when I needed it).... and I ordered room service once and didn't find it up to par with the rest of the hotel. Also, the doors could really use some sound-proofing! I could hear everything that went on in the hallway, especially the housekeeping staff in the mornings (if you're like me and sleep in until 10am, this could be an issue). Other than these bits, it's a wonderful hotel and I will definitely stay here again when I come to Chicago.

Reviewed November 21, 2010

Nicely appointed rooms, great staff, superb location. I booked this hotel online and got me a great deal, it has a very trendy, upscale feel and really on the pricey end if you do not get you a deal. Valet is $46 a night, and overnight parking around is in that range (paid $30 in a lot around the corner), if you do not need a car it is even better, the "Lake" station on the Red Line is right next to it.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 21, 2010

I stayed here a couple of times for business this year, and loved it so much I wanted to stay again but it was booked the last time I went to Chicago. This is a very modern and trendy hotel. The rooms were nicely sized and I enjoyed staying somewhere a little different. I had dinner and breakfast from room service and they had so many options and the dinner was really good especially for room service. The hotel was great for a business traveler and I would definitely stay again.

Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 21, 2010

Of the dozens of hotels I stay in each year, this is one of the nicest ever. We highly recommend it. Our twenty-fifth floor suite has an incredible view, is very spacious, and is magnificently appointed. The hotel’s location, staff, atmosphere, are perfect for whatever type of business or pleasure you are in Chicago for.

The suite has a very comfortable king bed, pull out couch, three large closets, two 46 inch flat screen televisions with connections to attach any type of digital device via a multitude of protocols. The kitchen is spacious and functional. The bathroom is larger than some guestrooms in some hotels that I’ve stayed in, and has both a very large shower and a giant, two person, tub. There is plenty of furniture in the room and it’s all very stylish and comfortable. The desk, breakfast table, chairs and couches were all very functional and attractive. In addition two three large closets there was plenty of other storage space in dressers and cabinets. There is adequate storage and amenities to make this room appropriate for a very long term stay.

The hotel is located at State and Lake, just a few blocks from all of Chicago’s attractions. In some ways it is an attraction to itself. The Roof Bar an its top floor is popular enough that the hotel has a policy of providing priority entry to lodging guests. There is no pool, but instead a very nice gym, yoga studio, and spa. We ate breakfast at “State Lake” which is one of three restaurants in the hotel. It was very good.

The wireless internet is very fast. Hilton Diamond members get it for free, but if you have to pay, it is about $15 per night.

I can’t think of a single bad thing about this hotel. It is brand new, cutting edge, and trying very hard to please their guests. The employees are as great as the building and room. Housekeeping, concierge, front desk, dining, and all the random employees we bumped into throughout our stay were very friendly and accommodating.

Reviewed November 19, 2010

I spent 5 nights at theWit hotel in Chicago to shop and get my daughter settled into her freshman suite at the University of Chicago. The hotel is centrally located close to great shopping and eating but the hotel itself is such a nice, comfortable, modern facility that I will definitely stay there again. It appears to be a very happening kind of place if you are into that kind of thing, the rooftop bar/restaraunt is great (we stayed clear of it on the weekend, all the hipsters seemed to be there!) Quiet and hip all rolled into one - our housekeeper Amalia was fabulous, our room was impeccable every day and the accomodations themselves were great - love the beds, slept really well (shopping was great - tiring but great.) Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 19, 2010

This is a great hotel. The service was excellent and the rooms were spotless. I travel frequently for business so am super picky and felt this was a great boutique hotel. In fact, I can't remember the last time I stayed at hotel that I felt immediately as good about. Nice touches include: personalized letter at check in from the Manager, great overall service, the sound of the chirping birds in the hallway (really!) and it switches at nighttime to evening nature sounds. Small criticisms...parking is expensive, no store in hotel.