“Great stay at the Wit”

theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #36 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 21, 2010

My husband and I stayed over July 16-18. I should note that we were using his Hilton points and I don't know if we would have paid the full price otherwise. The lobby, hallways, and rooms were beautiful. We were given a corner room and there was a window in our bathroom with an absolutely spectacular view of downtown Chicago, overlooking south over the Chicago Theatre. The bed was comfortable although I will say that it was hard to sleep during an afternoon nap because were across from the laundry room. The location of the Wit cannot be beat - the El is ride outside the front door. Getting to and from Midway was a snap. Lots of restaurants and bars within a short walk away.

Since we were using Hilton points, upon check-in we were given the option of free breakfast, internet, or Hilton points and we chose the free breakfast. We were given vouchers to use at the hotel restaurant, State & Lake. We only had breakfast one of the mornings but it was great! We also had lunch at the restaurant on one of the days, and it was very good and reasonably priced.

Unfortunately, we did not make it up to the Roof (even though literally everyone we told we were staying at the Wit told us how beautiful it was). We were in town for a music festival and hadn't brought clothes nice enough to pass the dresscode. We're not fancy people but I really would have liked to see the view from up there. Oh well. Maybe next time.

All in all, we were thrilled with our stay, but the best part was that it was free! We'd definitely go back if the price was right....but more likely, we'll wait for another Hilton promotion!

Reviewed July 21, 2010

The pictures and reviews on TripAdvisor don't lie, this is a great hotel with an excellent location. I really loved the boutique feel of the hotel with the amenities of a large chain, including two restaurants and the roof-top bar. Millennium and Grant Park are a few minutes walk away, visible from one side of the hotel, making it easy to walk to any location, and with the Loop train system right outside the front door accessibility to the city is incredible.
The Roof bar got fairly busy during the weekend, occasionally causing the elevator to have a long line, but once the entrance switched to one roped off line, it was much less crowded for hotel guests.
The crowds weren't really an issue like some have stated, rather it almost added to the overall atmosphere to this trendy downtown hotel, making you feel like you were part of the action. I had breakfast at State and Lake; the food and service both good, and spent some time on the Roof bar, which was very crowded but also very cool.
The standard rooms were spacious and modern, the bird sounds in the hallway were a nice added touch! Like I said, very hip.
I would stay at this hotel again, and will recommend it to my friends traveling to Chicago.

Reviewed July 20, 2010

I am a Diamond Member with the Hilton (I stay at the Hilton properties a lot..... in and outside the US), and I have to say that this is definitely one of the top places that I have stayed at. Magnificent views, great locations, and amazing rooms.... definitely recommend this place. If you can get a corner room, they are much better. If you stay there, check out the rooftop, it is very nice and perfect for a date.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 18, 2010

I was at The Wit for a business conference and loved the location, food & room. However, the housekeeping was terrible. Every day I was missing random toiletries from my room (toilet paper, bath mat, coffee, etc.) When I called to have the items replaced, I didn't even get an apology. It's such an easy fix from a management perspective but no one seemed to care! It's unfortunate...

However, I definitely recommend visiting The ROOF bar/club on the top floor...great ambience...def hot spot!

Reviewed July 17, 2010

I've seen some negative reviews of this place and was tempted to change my reservations for a 3 night stay in Chicago. I considered the Westin, but as a Hilton die-hard, I let it ride and hoped for the best.

This place is immaculate. I was upgraded to a corner spa room. It had a separate glass-enclosed shower and a deep soaking tub. Others had commented it was to "chic" for their taste, but I can't see how anyone would think that unless their accustomed to Motel 6.

The multimedia was fantastic. The desk was connected to the entertainment center and they had connections which allowed you to hook up anything with S-Video and play it on the TV. The room was spacious, ultra-clean, and highly comfortable bed.

People complained about the noise, and granted, you do get "some" street noise such as sirens, etc, but this is a downtown hotel, so in my opinion that is to be expected. The bottom line is I did not find the noise level to be distracting. Others complained about the birds, owls, soundtrack they play lightly in the hallways. I absolutely could not hear this at all from inside the room. It was very light and subtle even when in the hallways. The hallways were spotless.

The lobby was busy, but I never had to wait much for anything. I arrived at 1pm, 2 hours before check-in time, and that was not an issue. They had a room available and it was the upgraded room as well.

The loop train is literally on the same corner as the hotel. You can go from the lobby to the platform in probably 30 seconds (less if your're skinny and make it an issue to maximize time.)

I only had breakfast at their restaurant, State and Main, but it was one of the best experiences in a DoubleTree I have ever had. You can tell it is operated by real chef's, not just a line cook. As a diamond member, I received breakfast coupons which was worth $17 at the restaurant. This more then easily covered breakfast.

The room air-conditioning was perfect, the maids were extremely nice and proficient.

Very close to anything you want to do. Had hot dogs at a number of places, deep dish at Lou Manati's (Geno's is fairly close - 20 min walk.) Harry Carry's is just 2 blocks away behind the Westin. If I come back to Chicago, this is easily the place I would stay.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
PFamilyMiami, General Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2010

We are thrilled to see such a glowing review from a seasoned traveler and TripAdvisor contributor- yet not surprised. Our ownership group, architect and designers gave us a phenomenal platform from which to operate- in a great location in one of the greatest cities in the world.

Our team takes our responsibility to truly provide More Experience Than Hotel, for each and every guest we have the pleasure of hosting, seriously (and not so seriously when a WIT moment arises).

Our team always looks forward to repeat guests as well.

-Mark Shouger

Reviewed July 17, 2010

My husband and I recently returned from a pleasure trip to Chicago. We found the hotel appearance to be very hip and chic and upper class, but the little things throughout made it feel much less classy. These things have been noted by others, but the charge of $10/day for internet was harped on by my husband EVERY single time he turned on the laptop. If it had been baked into the room rate, I'm sure I would not have heard about it, but the fact that he had to agree to the charges when he logged on served to irritate him anew each time. Although the furnishings were very modern, the throw at the end of the bed was stained, The hair dryer was falling apart. The sink (as has been the topic of others' reviews) is, indeed, entirely impractical (imagine spitting a mouthful of toothpaste and then having to work to get the water to come 8-10" towards you (with a 1" lip on the edge of the sink) without getting splashed. Also, the shower controls force you to reach across the shower to turn it on, soaking you and getting water into the bathroom each time. The concierge staff could not have been less enthusiastic or helpful. Not even a decent map of the city or suggestions. And, we had significant hallway noise.

Now, there is a definite "cool" factor and that made certain parts of the stay fun (piped in nature noises that changed from birds chirping and roosters crowing to crickets depending on the time of day/night). And, the location is right in The Loop and can't be beat. We flew into Midway and the orange line brought us, literally, to the door - so no need for a rental car, just a pass for the L and cabs if need be. Easy walk to the shows, Millenium Park, Chicago Art Institute, etc. Great views of the skyline. Do try for a higher level floor to avoid street/L noise. Roof bar is also phenomenal for people watching. It really is a shame that they don't have a pool (a real benefit for the summer time) and that there screening room doesn't show more movies to hotel guests.

Reviewed July 13, 2010

Used to live down the street. So when we went back for the weekend, We knew right where we wanted to stay. Awesome staff. Great bar up on roof. Free passes to roof and skip lines if hotel guest, a big plus. Rooms were great. Right by red and brown/ orange line trains and short walk to state street shops / mich ave and millennia park. Can't wait to stay again soon!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager201, Guest Relations Manager at theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2015

Dear RJ24R2,

Thank you for sharing your experience at theWit Hotel! We hope to see you back soon. Have a marvelous afternoon!

At your Service,