“Overall Nice Stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Fenton, Missouri
“Overall Nice Stay”
Reviewed January 1, 2010

I stayed at theWit with my girlfriend on New Year's Eve. Very good service by staff all-around. I never had to wait more than a moment to get help from someone in the lobby. Our room was on the 20th floor, a standard Luxury King room with the basic amenities offered by this hotel. We had a nice view of the city, and much to our surprise a sizable wedge view of a frozen Lake Michigan. I liked the room overall, very comfortable and the fixtures and components live up to what you're paying for. I'm big into modernity and this room definitely delivered that. If you're big on watching TV, all rooms come with at least one 42 in. LCD HDTV, by far the best television viewing experience i've had in a standard room at a hotel. Channel lineup is pretty solid too. The negatives I experienced in this particular room was the shower head is on a rope which can be clipped to the bar. The head continued to slip down the bar and would not stay in place very easily. Also, my girlfriend found a condom wrapper in between the nightstand and the bed. I understand that it was something overlooked by housekeeping in an otherwise clean-looking room, but still... The hotel restaurants seemed a bit too high-priced for our budget so we avoided. Vending options were limited in the hotel as far as I could tell. You were limited to the mini bar in your room, $4 can of coke and $5 kit kats didn't seem too appetizing. Parking is valet only, and at $45 quite the premium for only a single-night's stay. Since it was New Year's Eve, party favors were given to us in our room, a nice touch. Included was a top hat, tiara, noise makers, glow sticks, and confetti. After it was all said and done, I would definitely recommend this establishment to a friend.

2 Thank tomclr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Marysville, Ohio
Reviewed December 31, 2009

Stayed three nights in a Riverview corner room. Nice view of river and bridge. Location is excellent for easily access to theaters, shopping, restaurants, and transportation. Room was quiet and bed was very comfortable. Service was friendly - but there were some disappointments. Room temperature would not remain constant and was not consistent with the temperature displayed on the room thermostat. Sink is square with an interesting design - but does not drain well. Sliding door to bathroom is heavy and hard to move. Glass light fixtures (floor and table lamps) were dusty - and remained so throughout the 3 day stay. Left room at 9:15 am to return at 3:30 pm and maids still had not cleaned room. Wanted to check emails on hotel computer and was told that there would be a $5.00 charge for 10 minutes and additional charges if I went beyond the 10 minutes. The fact that we did not have a laptop semed, to us, to be penalized with this fee. We arrived two hours before check in and the room was not available which was no problem. Gave them cell phone number and they promised to call when room was ready. Checked back in person after the check in time and was told that room was ready - no one had called. When asked, the desk attendant stated that "they had not gotten around to calling". This is a hotel with an excellent location and potential to be a very good hotel choice for downtown Chicago. Needs attention on some of the details.

2 Thank lsweeney458
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviewed December 30, 2009

The wife and I found the Wit after an extensive comparison of Chicago options. We were looking for something modern and memorable and we sure found it. Only open six months at the time we visited, the Wit was striking from the outside with a lightning bolt built into the side of the building and modern and eclectic on the inside.

The location at State and Lake was just four blocks from the South Shore train station and close to all kinds of shopping and is in the heart of the theater district.. The subway runs right in front of the building and the El is right there, too. Some might be disturbed by the regular trains passing, but it did not bother us at all.

The room was fantastic (we had taken advantage of an upgrade offer and got a junior suite). Two flat screen TV's, breathtaking views of Marina Towers and other landmarks, a soaking tub and separate glass enclosed shower, as well as fun and quirky decorating with a bunch of modern conveniences made it an excellent choice.

Joel, our bell man gave a complete tour of the room with lots of helpful hints on our arrival. We took advantage of the mp3 player but had not planned on the full kitchen which ended up wasted on us.

The whole place has a sense of humor, from the various takes on words with Wit in the in the lobby (Why is it called the Wit anyway?) to the piped in sound of birds playing near the elevators (crickets at night).

The staff was very helpful and friendly (and they gave us some fresh cookies upon our arrival). The concierge gave us great advice from a knowledgeable stand point. They were very accommodating in letting us store our bags there both before check-in and after check-out.

We plan to be back and take in some museums or a show next time.

1 Thank jdalesells
Mexico City
Reviewed December 28, 2009

I stayed at the Wit for 5 nights and liked it a lot! The hotel is very nice, everything is new and hip. I stayed at a Spa Room witch was a corner room with two walls of floor to ceiling windows, big LCD TV and a fabulous soaking tub with a very nice view of the city.

I also went to the bar one night and was really nice.

The hotel has the perfect location (near to the river, lots of stores, the Art Institute, a subway station…)

Looking forward to stay in the Wit again!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Marce_LCh
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 28, 2009

My first time staying at The Wit and would highly reccommed this hotel for convenience and hospitality.

The staff was gracious and accommodating at all times. Can't beat being welcomed at check-in with a warm cookie!

The location is fantastic. I was seeing theater at both the Goodman and the Oriental and both were very close. The Chicago Theater is also less than a block away. The hotel is also right next to the El to Midway so it made airport transport exceptionally easy.

The room is very nice and modern. Comfy bed, iPod dock, large flat screen tv (the direct TV takes awhile to find a signal, which can be annoying - I don't know if this happens with all satellite tv?). Bathroom nice and clean (though a large, flat and square sink would not be my design choice as it has trouble washing anything down the drain).

I asked for a humidifier when I checked in and it was brought up to my room within minutes. Room service was tasty and relatively quick. The concierge had an umbrella to loan me as I ventured out. Check in and out was quick and easy. The business center has computers that you can pay to use, but to just print out my boarding pass was free.

All in all an excellent stay.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank meliberk
USA
Reviewed December 27, 2009

I never really think too much about service at a hotel -- as long as it's competent and not overtly rude.

But The Wit's service is superb -- everyone was sincerely warm, welcoming, and eager to help.

I really like the rooms, even if, as some have mentioned, form doesn't always follow function. (The freely hanging sliding door in the bathroom that doesn't truly close, and the shower easily floods if you don't carefully adjust the shower head).

But the rooms are a real pleasure: fun, slick and stylish but really comfortable. One reviewer complained about the views, but our river view -- which we reserved specifically for -- was absolutely wonderful.

1 Thank ckdexterhaven11
Chicago, Il
Reviewed December 25, 2009

Very well done! Professional and efficient check-in by friendly staff, breakfast at State & Lake was nice, room was clean and perfect. Stayed a long 3-day weekend, loved Roof and the staff - brought clients on Saturday and while a 30 minute wait, door staff on second floor took care of me and was ushered right in with guests. Made a major impression, they were very professional. Room service also fantastic, Charles was top-notch!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business