“Everything Chicago has to offer at your fingertips.”

theWit - A DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #34 of 190 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Stockton, California
“Everything Chicago has to offer at your fingertips.”
Reviewed October 25, 2009

What can I say about the Wit Hotel? It's fantastic! A wonderful experience awaits! One of the best beds I've ever slept in--we got a great night's sleep every night. The location is fantastic! You can walk, catch an easy taxi, grab the bus, and/or take the Elevated Train anywhere in the city. The hotel is centrally located. Traveling from the Midway airport to the Wit was a snap on the CTA Orange Line. The trains are very clean and fun to ride. The hotel staff is extremely helpful, knowledgeable, friendly, and attentive! Our room was always straightened up and tidy when we returned from our adventures at the end of the day. I had made special arrangements with the Concierge of the hotel beforehand so upon our arrival, my wife was treated to a great floral arrangement, chocolates from three different chocolatiers in the city, champagne, and a deep-dish pizza (something my wife and I hadn't experienced before)! I can't say enough about the Concierge! Li Feng went to great lengths to assist me in surprising my wife. It was in celebration of our ninth wedding anniversary. The view was great. We could see both the Chicago River and Lake Michigan from our view (18th floor). Again, Li was always ready with a dinner reservation, suggested site seeing, tour, etc. I strongly urge anyone visiting Chicago to take the Architectural Boat Tour of the city (which the concierge helped me set up). The bar at the top of the building, The Roof, was fantastic. Not only was the view breathtaking but the drinks and food were very good. The food is served in a "tapas" fashion. The staff are very attentive and friendly. The room was very stylish, roomy, posh, friendly, and inviting (see attached pictures). There are two plugs on each bedside lamp (for mobile phone charging, etc.). Near the desk, you can attach your laptop to direct Ethernet or phone line, TV connection, electrical outlets, etc. There's one very helpful telephone by the bed which speeds up contacting the front desk, getting room service, housecleaning, etc. We spent one night indoors and it was great (room service was fast and the food excellent). I can't say enough about the bed. Even though I didn't take photos of the bathroom, I can say that it was always clean and very well appointed (really nice fluffy towels). The sink is shallow so be careful when running the tap. There was a combined tub and shower in our bathroom and water-saving toilet. The door separating the bathroom from the main room was also a full length mirror. Throughout the day, forest and animals sounds are played in the hallways to mark the times of the day! We loved it! One of the best hotel experiences by far!

1 Thank jkmocanu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
new york
Reviewed October 19, 2009

the wit is in the heart of downtown chicago. every major attraction is within walking distance. the staff was friendly and the rooms were very clean. the restaurants were a bit pricey but overall it was a great place.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 18, 2009

This is a doubletree hotel, but don't expect any cookies, I never saw any.Great bar on the roof, if only they knew how to make a drink. There are bar snacks but be prepared to pay, $9 for french fries? Breakfast is adequate but service is lacking, and the coffee is weak dishwater. Soundproofing in room kept the el sounds to a minimum, but sirens come through loud and clear, as does the slamming of the heavy room doors. Barely adequate hot water in your bathroom. Gigantic sink in that bathroom begs the question, why? For all the raves this place gets there's lots of room for improvemnt.

1 Thank eoetourhost
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed October 15, 2009

Stayed for two night for chicago marathon in october. in the past, i've been to hilton chicago, palmer house and marriot at the magnificent mile but hotel is my new favorate hotel in chicago. when i walked in, i thought the lobby was bit small but it was really pretty inside, better then the pictures i've seen. the room was nice, bright colors, big window in the room and QUITE. i thought the mattress was little soft but still comfortable.i went to the spa for a massage, bill was great! ate dinner and breakfast at the state and lake restaurent on the 1st floor, the food was very good. i would even come back just for the food, it was that good! try the steak and eggs for the breakfast, you won't be dispointed ($14)
at my departure, i was greeted by Patricia, she called me by my name. "wow"! ( only saw her once at the check in)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank marathonmanjax
florida
Reviewed October 14, 2009

Had a great stay with my son, the biggest CUBS fan ever! Great location on EL route from Midway and Wrigley! Great service at check in desk. Room was wonderful and new and modern. Bathroom is large and products were very nice. Triple loved the outdoor bar on the roof! Next stay is with my wife!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2009

This was a trip to visit colleges for my 17 year old daughter. My 24 year old son also came along. We arrived at 7:30 am and couldn't check in until almost 2 pm. The hotel staff took our bags and directed us to a great 'local' diner for a great breakfast. We then went on an Architectural Boat Tour of the city and shopped on Michigan Ave. All easy walking distance from the hotel. When we needed to travel to the colleges we stepped right out the door - not even crossing a street - and were on the EL train! We even rode the train to and from the airport for only $2.25 per trip!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Chicago
Reviewed October 5, 2009

We stayed overnight at the Wit to celebrate my 40th birthday. We had a nice and spacious 2-room suite on the 21st floor. Check in took a bit longer than I would like - however given the activity in the lobby - we were willing to wait. The rooms were great - decor excellent and a good value. Enjoyed our stay immensely until we received our bill and questioned the front desk about a restaurant charge that was not ours. Not only did the front desk attendant never apologize, but her overall attitude of guilty until proven innocent did not go over well. When asked what we would be billed, given the charges were incorrect her comment was "I will e-mail you". It was like pulling teeth to get the final amount being billed to our card (in fairness they did not charge us for the restaurant charges), and her overall demeanor was so full of attitude that it really soured the overall experience for us. Too bad, as we really liked the hotel, but next time we'll be staying somewhere else.

1 Thank LishoChicago